• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite/Least Favorite Game Genre?

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Favorite Video Game Genres: Action, Adventure, Fitness, Puzzle, RPGs, Dance, Music, Racing (Mario Kart), Fighting (Flat Platform, Side Scrolling)

Least Favorite: First-Person Shooters, Sports (Except Tennis, any Mario based sport games, and Wii Sports), Horror Games (Resident Evil, i.e.)

And that is my list of my favorite and least favorite genres. I want to play games that I can interact and stay in shape at the same time. ^^

Jung

Sica please.
    Years
    Favourite Genre : FPS(Original ones),RPG,RTS and Action games.
    Least Favourite Genre: Third Person Shooters,FPS(unoriginal), Disney-movie based Games.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    Favorite:
    FPS - Whether it be original or unoriginal, I love going into first person mode and mowing down some baddies with my guns.
    RPG - The longer the better. Tales of Symphonia ftw.
    Music/Rhythm - Uh, well, I love music. Been playing since GH1. Switched over to Rock Band after GH80s and with Rock Band I will stay.

Least Favorite:
    Sports - I never got into sports. I am playing Madden 09 off and on, but only when my good games get boring.
    RTS - I suck at them. I can't control my forces to attack, watch the enemy, and build stuff at the same time.
    Fighting - 2d fighting games are all the same, with updated graphics. Even ones like Soul Calibur bore the hell out of me.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Favorite: RPG's, mainly Western style RPG's, with some JRPG's (not a fan of a huge amount of repetitive level grinding).

Least favorite: Puzzel, also very repetitive and BORING because of it. I think FPS's are nearing this area though. Can almost never get into them.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Favourites vary from platformers (2D and 3D) to RPGs to action-adventure and with a light smattering of FPS and even a little bit of FIFA now and then.

Least favourites is pretty much any game that relies entirely on multiplayer. I dunno why, I just don't find it that great. And yes, I know I said I enjoys FPS and sports games. There is a reason why I said a 'light smattering' ;)

Coukie

It's only faint
    Years
    My favorite games vary from RPGs all the way to Hack 'n Slash games. However, there is nothing I hate more than a puzzle, sports-related, or RTS game. >.<

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
    favorite:rpg, Puzzlequest(it gets its own genre), rts, any shooter except sidescrollers, action, and horror

Least favorite: sports, movie games(minus LotR: Battle for Middle Earth and Toy Story 3), and racing, even though i like them, they are just low on my list of enjoyment

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    Favorite: RPG's <3

Least Favorite: Racing Games, Movie Games (Despicable Me, Toy Story, ect.), some racing games, puzzle games, and sports games (excluding some Wii titles.)

Years
    Wow, a lot of people hating on sports games. That is probably my favourite genre of games, probably because I do play sports, and they must influence the games I like playing, too. The only genre of games that I can't stand playing are FPS games (or any other first person games), but other than that I'll play pretty much anything else.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    My abilities as a gamer strongly dictate the genres I like/dislike most, but other things can factor in, too.

The genre I like the absolute best is action/adventure. You're one character in third-person running around and, well, having an adventure. No party-management, usually you fight enemies by pressing a button or two (no having to do quick, precise combos), and there isn't typically a whole lot to juggle/worry about at any given time. Platformers are largely the same, though often more challenging. Throwing in RPG elements like levelling up or item upgrades is cool. Collecting stuff is usually a good feature, too.

Fighting games are a prime example of a genre I dislike mostly because I can't play them, most notably due to that I cannot for the life of me work with that kind of quick-thinking on-your-toes button combo gameplay that is their core. My thumbs don't have that kind of precision and coordination. The same also applies to aiming (or in some cases, even getting around) in shooters.

On the subject of shooters the one other reason I don't really like the genre is simply because I'm not interested in guns or war/sci-fi themes. Throw a fun multiplayer in like in Goldeneye or Borderlands, though, and you've got yourself a shooter I'll try.

JRPGs are the last on my list of top genres I don't like. If it ain't Pokemon, it just seems horribly tedious. I don't want to manage a whole party and all this other stuff and have to worry about the whole group in a fight at the same time. I also really don't like turn-based combat, to be honest. If I'm a guy with a sword I want to just hack away at the monster and get on with it. There also seems to be a lot more strategizing involved than I'd like in your average RPG.

tl;dr
    Favorite: Action/Adventure, Platformer
    Least Favorite: Fighting, FPS, JRPG

Last edited:

Noka

I'ma nerd
    Years
    My favorite genre would have to be RPGs; I'm partial to the RPGs that mix with the adventure genre though, like Infinite Undiscovery. I like the old-school RPGs a lot more.

My second favorite genre would have to be RTS, or real-time strategy. Even if I suck against human opponents, I still love the RTS genre.

Like a lot of others here, my only hated genre are sports games; I just don't see the appeal of playing them.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    i like most games but my favourites are probably fighting, action, adventure
    dislikes would be mmos (if thats a genre) and sports (other than inazuma eleven)

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    I love RPGs (MMOs included), fighting games, and a little bit of shooters.

I don't like tedious sports games or hack/slash games.

Aine

♫ ✰ queen's ★ knight ✰ ♫
    Years
    I like Hack/slash and shooting games, but love Multiplayer games.

I don't like horror/bloody games like Silent Hill. Nuff said. :(

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Favorite-Shoters and RPG's (Fallout 3, anybody?)

Least favorite:Fighting games, I have never been so mad at a game in my life. Why? 'Cause the AI friggin' cheats! They use all 30 combos in two seconds. I also hate having to memorize all the combos.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    I like RPGs and fighting games above all else.

I dislike shooters above all else... I always end up purposely dying due to intense boredom. ._.

Back