• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Mario RPG?

Favourite Mario RPG?

• Total voters

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    Mario has dipped his toes in almost every genre. And one of my favourite of the Mario spin-offs would be his RPGs. I'd just like to know, which one is your favourite?

If I had to say, I would pick Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. This game was about as close to perfect as I think the universe can get to. I enjoyed this game from the moment I took control of it to that final battle with Cackletta. Such a fun game~

What's your favourite Mario RPG?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    It's a hard choice. Assuming Paper Mario counts, Thousand Year Door is basically tied with Superstar Saga.
    The tournament chapter was sooo awesome. And the soda monster was sooo awesome too.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Super mario RPG, it is the only one just for me~
    When I play the game I get lost in a phase~
    Then I find out I'm stuck in Gino's maze~

Yeah, Super Mario RPG is awesome.
    not really a big fan of those paper mario games though, and i've not played the GBA/DS ones.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for sure.
    My favorite one. and it wasnt my first RPG of Mario.
    But it was my first VC game I got tho. I never owned a SNES before so ://.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

I played Super Mario RPG but for some reason I couldn't find the save boxes ._. and the other two Mario and Luigis I didn't finish. I just stopped playing Partners in Time temporarily at the second-last boss, Superstar I just couldn't get past a puzzle.

+ Inside Story has Fawful in big time! I have choooooortles!

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Superstar Saga is my 3rd favorite game, so that it is. One of the funnest RPG's I've ever played, since the battles are far more involved then in a lot of other RPGs. Also like the story as well. Too bad now I can beat it in 9 hours. ;;

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Out of all of those, I've only played Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, so I picked The Thousand Year Door. I like both of them, but I only rented Paper Mario 64, so I never played it that much. And I played through The Thousand Year Door multiple times, so I really like that one. Especially the jokes in it :P

I actually started playing a ROM of Paper Mario 64 a while back, but it had a lot of graphical glitches, and it doesn't matter now because somehow the game saves got erased. >:S

-Scourge-

Come Together
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    My favorite Mario RPG is, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.
    My favorite part of the game was being Bowser, because I've never done that before, It sure was fun :D

Years
    Super Mario RPG is the only one I've played out of all of those (except a little bit of Paper Mario which I didn't like) but from looking at screenshots and gameplay reviews I'm confident in saying it's my favourite. Great gameplay, awesome world, overall it's just pretty great.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think Bowser's Inside Story is the best it is the funniest and the most fun. I think the first Mario RPG is the worst one I have played it on the Virtual Console and it is boring you can't even dodge enemies!

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    I would have to say Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Not only did it get me into the RPG genre, but it was essentially a Final Fantasy-style Mario game, which was a great thing. I would very much like to see Square-Enix make another one. Not to mention, it would let Geno return (aside from his cameo in SuperStar Saga).

After Super Mario RPG, I would say Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, followed by Paper Mario.

I think Bowser's Inside Story is the best it is the funniest and the most fun. I think the first Mario RPG is the worst one I have played it on the Virtual Console and it is boring you can't even dodge enemies!
    I fail to see how its boring. As for Dodging Enemies, thats something you only see in Action-RPGs and Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario games. Its typically a complex mathematical coding that allows characters to dodge enemies. However, Super Mario RPG started the system that allowed enemy dodging in the later games through the 'Timed Hits' system, which allowed you to add more power to each characters attacks or blocking an attack by pushing a button right before you/they hit.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    The first Paper Mario for sure, Thousand Year Door is a close 2nd. Haven't played SMRPG and don't like Mario & Luigi, even though I bought the first one and never beat it.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    sgdsgsg

Its typically a complex mathematical coding that allows characters to dodge enemies.

How complex could it be? Isn't is basically something like "Press button in certain time frame, activate dodge/attack miss animation, negate damage"? ?0_o?

And I've heard so many good things about that first Mario RPG, I think I should download a ROM of it..... :D

Years
    I enjoy Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I'm almost finished but I think i'm at the part with a boss with Bowser near the ending. It's pretty good and simple.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    Paper mario thousand year door, pl0x
    (the rest of the paper mario series is good but) tyd tops them all.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I didn't really understand Super Mario RPG.(VC version.)

I would give it to Bowser's Inside Story. Possibly because Bowser is the main charater.

Back