• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    My only issue with the server is the staff structure.

Do you have to be a mod on the forum to have power on the server? Why do i say this? Well because people who have been fired on the forum are still server staff, higher staff who dont even battle have power on the server, people who arent staff on the forum are admin/mod on the server and people who arent even active and piss off to smogon the majority of the time still have power. None of these should be the case imo.

Its inconsistent and probs needs addressing.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    My only issue with the server is the staff structure.

Do you have to be a mod on the forum to have power on the server? Why do i say this? Well because people who have been fired on the forum are still server staff, higher staff who dont even battle have power on the server, people who arent staff on the forum are admin/mod on the server and people who arent even active and piss off to smogon the majority of the time still have power. None of these should be the case imo.

Its inconsistent and probs needs addressing.

Frankly, I disagreed with this post at first. I didn't care much nor did I think it mattered. However, after thinking about it for a bit I realized that I do agree.

I think the fact that I'm on rather consistently throughout various hours of the day (due to a horrible cycling sleep schedule) allows me to get to know various people on the server regardless of their time zones. As a result, I feel like I should know everyone who is on staff on the server, seeing as how those who deserve server staff status should be consistent members as well. However, every few days I see a brand new name pop up and I have literally no idea who they are (even after they explain who they are). My question is: Why are these people on staff? Clearly they are not consistent users on the server, and I highly doubt they battle at all, save a few random battles here and there (which I, personally, don't even count).

Basically what I'm here to say is:
    - Members who don't battle / show up on the server consistently should not be server staff
    - Precedent should be given to those who prove themselves to be:
    --- Helpful to other members
    --- Consistent in appearance on server
    --- Decent / knowledgeable battlers
    - It's a battle server, this shouldn't be too much to ask
    - Members who are staff on the forums themselves should not automatically be given staff on server . This is like giving anyone who posts in S&M (idk what it's currently called) mod abilities just because they mod somewhere else.

ggwp

EDIT: I think I won the tutor war forever ago btw seeing as how only my student is still around and is probably one of the strongest, if not the strongest battlers here. Shoutout to my boy Karp. <3

Last edited:
    Years
    Strongest battler at this place is not an achievement. What players has this place brought up? If KG actually DOES go here, thats a fantastic example. Sweep is a great Ubers player. Anti and antebellum have made posts with relevance, which is great looking at the theorymonning. But that size is minimal. For every 5 players here, you have random brazilian forums/Smogon bringing up 1,000. How do you get good students? Proffesionalism.

This place needs some good tutor program. And good tutors. If not, why would people choose this place over Smogon. The laid-back experince? Oh please.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    Strongest battler at this place is not an achievement. What players has this place brought up? If KG actually DOES go here, thats a fantastic example. Sweep is a great Ubers player. Anti and antebellum have made posts with relevance, which is great looking at the theorymonning. But that size is minimal. For every 5 players here, you have random brazilian forums/Smogon bringing up 1,000. How do you get good students? Proffesionalism.

This place needs some good tutor program. And good tutors. If not, why would people choose this place over Smogon. The laid-back experince? Oh please.

To be fair you just nitpicked my side-edit of my post which has no relevance to this thread whatsoever.

As for the tutor program, I completely agree. A tutor program being implemented again would be a good idea. As for people choosing PC over smogon, I'm pretty sure the reason people choose it IS because of the "laid-back experience". At least that's the case for me. If I wanted a true competitive and strictly competitive environment I'd go to smogon any day. But I don't. I don't see this argument flying very far.

Years
    Then youre begging to fall behind. And if thats what you desire, your choice. But if you want this place to get some "deserved" recognizion, stuff needs to be done. I'd love to tutor someone half-decent (I dont wanna deal with retards using Bellossom because its their fav mon), and though I rarely play XY, I'm good enough to see and understand the metagame.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Then youre begging to fall behind. And if thats what you desire, your choice. But if you want this place to get some "deserved" recognizion, stuff needs to be done. I'd love to tutor someone half-decent (I dont wanna deal with retards using Bellossom because its their fav mon), and though I rarely play XY, I'm good enough to see and understand the metagame.

I don't think anyone is asking for "deserved" recognition at all. The entire point of this thread was just general feedback of our current community, and where people think it stands. No one is disagreeing that Smogon is where you would want to go if you just want a strictly competitive environment. People are arguing that they would like our own balance on the battle server to be less like a general chat room, and have a better balance of off-topic and battling discussions.

Years
    If you wanna know where this place stands, its far behind. Youre coming to a second-tier community asking for advice, when nothing stops you from getting somthing better. If you want a rate, go smogon, or expect inferior advice. And TRYING to be the second best is just weird as a goal.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 6, 2020
    For clarification, I did not start here. I was already a member on Smogon. My reason for joining was to compete in a forum war. I come back from time to time because the people that are here are long-time members that I knew from years ago. The more relaxed atmosphere is a nice alternative to the serious competition on Smogon. That's not to say there isn't serious competition here, but it certainly has a different vibe and you shouldn't look to erase that. You won't ever beat Smogon doing competitive. My recommendation would be to build a competitive infrastructure that members here can learn from to build up the current base, but keep it at a point where there is a noticeable cultural difference between here and Smogon. That way you have a good chance of keeping members that participate on both sites because they understand the value of the community here.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yeah I think on the note of what Aero and Jake are saying, "laid-back experience" is a legitimate draw for some people, and more to the point, no one in our community really wants to get intense, get recognition, etc. It's just not in the cards at the moment with the competitive community in the state it's in, even if we did want it. Basically what Kevin Garrett said. And with that, I'd prefer to just move on since it's a discussion that probably isn't going to go anywhere except downhill, and there are real efforts we need to get working on right now.

(In case that wasn't clear: STOP WITH THIS TOPIC.)

edit: adding spoilers to make it less daunting so y'all will read it ;)

on clans:

Spoiler:

on tutoring and leagues:

Spoiler:

Just some other thoughts...

on forum name:

Spoiler:

on a potential team building workshop thread:

Spoiler:

on potential truncated ou threat list thread:

Spoiler:

meh just look:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    I think with the clans it might be worth having a sort of clan champiomship, as well as channels on the server for each clan, to promote competition and interaction.

Years
    I know the laid-back experience is why you'd go here. But my question is, why would you want a laid-back experience? If you post RMT's here, you're expecting second-hand rates, when you coulda gone Smogon and gotten a tier one rate at no cost. That's like choosing Ember over Flamethrower.

Also, Smogon isn't all 100% serious. Isn't that why Firebot exists?

Years
    I know the laid-back experience is why you'd go here. But my question is, why would you want a laid-back experience? If you post RMT's here, you're expecting second-hand rates, when you coulda gone Smogon and gotten a tier one rate at no cost. That's like choosing Ember over Flamethrower.

Also, Smogon isn't all 100% serious. Isn't that why Firebot exists?

Man we are not trying to compete with smogon. This is only a subforum of a general big Pokemon site. We're just here to chill and train really, but that doesn't mean we settle for mediocrity. Me and Anti hit up the ladder a lot, Pokedra and Dark Azelf were competitive back in the day as well. If you want to compete with smogon, or any other battling forum for that matter, you are not in the right place. You also talked about the 'random brazilian forums' popping out players, but those are competitive battling geared too; the whole board is meant for competitive and attracts competitive players [I'd wager they don't take themselves that seriously either though]. Most of the competitive players aren't okay with being subpar, but really it's futile at this point to try and be the next smogon, even when serebii, marriland, etc were active, they probably had the same goal as us: to be a strong community. If we get a bunch of people battling and eventually doing well on ladder and in tournaments, that's great, but the site and this subforum itself, isn't going to be putting up analyses or becoming the center of battling any time soon. Also if you are expecting tier one rates at smogon then you are sorely mistaken lol

Years
    Pretty sure if you put up a well-made RMT on Smogon, players like Chimpact, SS, Aim, whoever the ♥♥♥♥ that rates teams nowadays, will give you a top tier rate if you ask for it.

But yea, point taken. O_o

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Anyway, we wanted to move on.

About clans, I like the thought of having various teams of players going against each other. If it jumped to a serious scale, a couple of world-cup-like tournaments would be refreshing. However, Anti makes a fair warning about them flaming out. It'll be all excitement at first, but needs some serious investment of players/(maybe artists to keep it fancy? Seriously, grab some talented folks from the artistic forums. If it looks amazing, people are more likely to be attracted to the cool-factor and they'll have a more unique flare than here-is-our-thread-join-us-look-at-our-trophies) to sustain itself. I'm not so sure it could be a let's-figure-it-out-along-the-way kind of project.

I'd comment on other areas (server staff/forum staff disconnect) but I've simply been too absent to fairly recommend changes.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I don't come here much ;-;. I realise that this is a bit delayed, and the topic has moved on a bit, but I just wanted to give my point of view as an outsider to the battling community.

I only go on the server to play some fun matches, I don't play competitively and I don't stick around there for chatting. Some members have mentioned people asking for matches and being ignored, that has happened to me most of the times I sign in - which, admittedly, are getting rarer and rarer. I'd also like to address Chase who said...

Server Atmosphere:

I don't think anyone has a big problem with this and they shouldn't. We are a very lenient server that allows a lot more than other servers do.

I think your overall lenience is offputting to members. I often open up BSS, see a very weird/borderline conversation - yes, I've seen some about masturbation, some with people just randomly swearing - and just quit. It's very intimidating and even if it's not always like that, and I somehow just always come at a bad time, I don't see a reason it should ever be like that.

Years
    I don't come here much ;-;. I realise that this is a bit delayed, and the topic has moved on a bit, but I just wanted to give my point of view as an outsider to the battling community.

I only go on the server to play some fun matches, I don't play competitively and I don't stick around there for chatting. Some members have mentioned people asking for matches and being ignored, that has happened to me most of the times I sign in - which, admittedly, are getting rarer and rarer. I'd also like to address Chase who said...

I think your overall lenience is offputting to members. I often open up BSS, see a very weird/borderline conversation - yes, I've seen some about masturbation, some with people just randomly swearing - and just quit. It's very intimidating and even if it's not always like that, and I somehow just always come at a bad time, I don't see a reason it should ever be like that.

Hey Magic, thank you for the input! Its very valuable actually to see what users who are hesitant of being involved in this community want, and what is off-putting about it to them. I think chat control is definitely an issue that needs to be adressed, since you arent the only one affected by its content. Anyways we do have some more casual leaning tours and events from time to time that might be worth joining, and I know most of the people posting in this thread would love to give you a battle. We also occasionally have tournaments hosted on the server itself ("script tours"), many in non ou formats, which are pretty fun, although theyve been less common lately.

Sirfetch’d

Very good points here! I wanted to say though that these topics you are referring to are totally not OK at all. Before the server was recognized "officially" by PC, we did allow more sexual topics and weren't cracking down on such things but now everything must remain in line with what is allowed on PC itself. If I were to come on a new server and see them talking about masturbation I would immediately leave because as you said it is offputting. Eliminating these types of discussions is a top priority for us staff right now because if we are bettering the server overall we can't have outright explicit chats.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I'd also propose to ban Twitter-like spam. I think getting rid of this kind of chat like this would go a long way to making newbies feel at ease since it's easier for a newbie to join a discussion on competitive talk or a topic (says some news) rather then 2-3 people talking about their lunch.

Sirfetch’d

While I do agree that for newbies looking to battle that entering on a chat centered around competitive battling would be better for them, we aren't just going to ban certain topics. That is turning the server into a dictatorship. You can't just go and alter the rules to include things like "no talking about your lunch", "topics about your pet are prohibited", etc. That just sounds silly and is way over the top. There is no way with as small of a community as we have that the server will be 100% competitive chat 100% of the time. There is just nothing wrong with small talk. We can still make the server more centered around competitive without completely changing the way it's run. As a community we just have to find a way to make the chats more balanced. Right now I'd say it's 70/30 with 70% being small talk. I'd say a good goal for our small of a community right now would be to try to bring it to 40/60 with the 60% being focused on competitive. Compromise is the key, not exclusion.

Back