• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Female Starters, OH MY!

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    Has anyone ever gotten a female starter? For the first time ever, I restarted my Platinum game (like, the sixth time tho xD) and I started with Piplup (like I always do xD) and got it in female form! SO NOW I CAN MAKE ALL NEW PIPLUP BABIES. xD Anyone ever have this, with Chimchar or Turtwig? (:

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    Yes, I have had a female Turtwig before, on my Pearl game after my DS ran out of battery in the middle of the introduction thingy (Because I didn't see it was red, stupid me!) then I charged it and WALA! A female Turtwig...

Shiny Shaymin

I laugh at your misfortune.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 22, 2015
    No, but my best friend got a female Chimchar as a starter.

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    That's cool. I'd pay big bucks for a female Chimchar. I don't know why. Or a shiny Chimchar. O_o; That'd be pretty epic. :3

KennethXEcker

Consistently Average TCG Player Since '08
    Years
    I always thought that the starters gender was based on the gender you chose for your character...

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    No, it's on a percentage. Like Gimmepienow said, I think it's a 12% rate that you can get a female starter, and a 88% rate you can get a male starter. Obviously, male is much more common. Getting a female starter is like winning the lottery. There isn't much of a chance, but still possible.

Years
    I most always soft reset for female starters.
    The only exceptions are with the Johto ones as I have yet to own from HGSS
    and the Gamecube shadow games are so boring I only soft reset in XD for
    the later few shadows I like. I don't soft reset for the Emerald option.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think I've had a female of almost every starter. I always SR for female starters...except in DP. None of those look feminine at all, and besides, I rarely use the Sinnoh starters anyway. Anyway, congrats on your female Piplup. It's a girl!

edit; Oh yeah. In SoulSilver, I was overexcited and forgot to save before getting my starter, so my Typhlosion's a boy. Same thing with my Umbreon. xD Don't let it happen to you!!

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    I may sound stupid, but what does soft reset mean? xD I'm not up to date with the Pokemon lingo now-a-days. :p

I was pretty happy when I found out my Piplup was a girl. I don't usually care, but when I saw the pink female sign by it's name, I clapped my hands for like five seconds. Haha. I have my spazzes. xD

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    That's pretty sick. A female Cyndaquil? I would have thought that Chikorita is more of a female looking Pokemon. Cyndaquil looks more of a male looking Pokemon.. Does that make sense? lmfao.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
    Oh, that's happened to me before!

The first time it happened was in Ruby Version when I started with a Torchic and got a female. I've also gotten a female Charmander in FireRed Version, and a female Turtwig in Platinum Version! And all of these female starters just randomly appeared, the first time I started the game. I didn't really try to get them. It's always fun to get female starters for me. It's something different.

I may sound stupid, but what does soft reset mean? xD I'm not up to date with the Pokemon lingo now-a-days. :p

Soft reset is when you press all the buttons at once and make the game reset itself. :) At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Last edited:

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    I remember getting a female Charmander once. I was literally uber ecstatic. I was bouncing off the walls and telling my parents why I was so hyper. It was HYSTERICAL.

Years
    Treecko and Mudkip in Emerald and Squirtle in LeafGreen are the only female starters I've gotten. :<
    I used to dislike the idea of my starter Pokemon being a gal, but now I'm all for it. xD; In fact, I'm hoping to get a female Totodile when I get HeartGold.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
    I have a female Piplup and Charmander before in my old Pearl and LG games respectively. XD

Oh, and my brother also got a female Chikorita (well, this isn't surprising for me though.) in his HeartGold.

Starter's gender doesn't really matter though, but a female Feraligatr or Infernape would be quite interesting.

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I always get female starters.. And I really don't like it.
    I don't know why, but I like having teams of Male Pokemon.

I only started that when they started showing the Male and Female symbols though. Like in Yellow, I didn't even care.
    But I don't like seeing blue, blue, blue, PINK, blue, blue. It just really bothers me, and for some reason when one of my Female pokemon dies, I feel bad.

I was actually playing Explorers of Sky today and when Zubat pushed down Vulpix for her relic fragment, I was all like, 'YOU JERK!' :p

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    I was actually playing Explorers of Sky today and when Zubat pushed down Vulpix for her relic fragment, I was all like, 'YOU JERK!' :p
    HAHAHA, THAT MADE ME LAUGH. xD I love getting female starters - I hardly do. Whenever I do, it makes me happy. :)

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    I believe on my Diamond my Torterra is a female, it was random though, I was pretty happy! But on Platinum I have a male Torterra, I just like my team consisting of males, I don't know why, I just do.

Back