• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Female Starters, OH MY!

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
    I got a female Turtwig once. If I remember correctly I also had a female Cyndaquil at one point.

Last edited:

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    Yeah, I'm gonna soft reset until I get a female Turtwig when I get home. I'm starting a new team and everything.. But I still need help with that. :/

gigapoodle

I'm Ron Burgundy?
    Years
    I got a female Torchic once in Sapphire. Then I transferred it into my Diamond and breeded it, since I wanted a Male one. Then I got a female. And another Female. AND ANOTHER FEMALE. My mind was blown at that point.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    I dont really think of it as that Special it always happens when u start as much as me for challenges and stuff

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    No, it's on a percentage. Like Gimmepienow said, I think it's a 12% rate that you can get a female starter, and a 88% rate you can get a male starter. Obviously, male is much more common. Getting a female starter is like winning the lottery. There isn't much of a chance, but still possible.

XP Well, I really did 'win the lottery' with this one!-

Okay, feel free to believe this or not- but the greatest stroke of luck overcame me when I was playing leaf green a few months ago. You see, when I start a new pokemon game I like to randomly pick my starter by swirling the buttons and covering the screen. Then (because I'm weird) I try to go as long as possible without finding out what my pokemon is. So I was playing my game and I was asked to nickname my pokemon. I still had no idea what it was though. When I was beginning to nickname it I decided I would confirm it to be male, so I took just a little peek to see the gender, still not wanting to give away my pokemon. I was surprised to see a female, so instead of using my originally planned name, Lucky, I called her Shimmer. And then my rival challenged me to a battle, but now I had the volume up. So, my pokemon was revealed to be a charmander, because I'm that good with calls. But I heard a strange noise after the call and so I decided to look, and ho and behold I was met by the fearsome posture of my female shiny charmander. Now, I'll tell you all, I have no skill at all with 'jumping off of walls', but that moment was the closest I came by far. Yeah, female and shiny. That was some lucky game! Now I have my female black charizard so ironically named Shimmer. Maybe that is why my sister told me that I was half phione, because they are said to cause great luck! And that is the story of me being a winner, XD!

Sorry everyone, I know that was long! -_-

PIKACHU DOES KUNGFU!

working out the kinks ;D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    SHINY FEMALE CHARIZARD!? WTF, I WANT ONE. <3 :D Hehehe. Ohhh, and I had to soft reset only once to get my female Turtwig. :)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    No, only a female Piplup, however, I did breed a male Torterra with a Ditto and a female Turtwig hatched out of its egg, I wouldn't count this, though.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    On my Diamond version, I was so excited about these new (back then) Pokémon DS games that I didn't care. Took me until I got into the Hall of Fame to realize my Empoleon was a female the first time.

.Chocolate.

n_n no.
    Years
    I once got a female torchic on Pokemon Ruby when I was...8 years old.
    I immediantly restarted my GBA because I didn't like female starters. Except female treeckos, piplups, and chickoritas. I know I seem sorta racist.D: When that female torchic evolves into Blaziken it looks more like a male than female.=/
    I think that's why Nintendo made the gender range higher male than female.

clairefable

first class scamp
    Years
    I got a female Turtwig first time in Platinum C: I'm not really that bothered about the gender of my starter, but it was a bit of a surprise I guess.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I have gotten one once. It was on Diamond I got a female Piplup, but my brother started a new game on it, so I lost her :( But its ok I dont mind having male starters.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I never got a female starter before but ive seen some before. Even if I could choose a female pokemon chances are I wouldnt because I normally choose male pokemon.

Years
    Every time I played G/S/C and picked Totodile, I got a female, and every time I played D/P/Pt and picked Piplup, I got a female. But I've only ever gotten female water starters. o.0

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    I've probably had multiple female starters over the years, but the only one I can remember right now is my now gone female Venusaur on my dead LeafGreen ROM (GameShark'd it to death xD)

My friend has a female Infernape. That just doesen't feel right. xD.

But at least I got a Naive Chimchar from him. :DDDD

Back