• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fighting games

Years
    I normally play arcade fighters mostly. The older street fighters, king of fighters, crossover fighters are especially my favorite. CvS, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Execution is just one part of being a good fighting game player. Heck, I'd rather have decent blocking and spacial awareness rather than perfect execution.
    I'm sure anyone would; I understand the basics are actually very important and often overlooked by new players.
    My contention is this: how does the difficulty of execution serve the gameplay in any enjoyable capacity? Like, why is the ability of a player to control their character properly even considered (and made to be, by game design) a skill and not a completely basic matter?

Years
    I'm sure anyone would; I understand the basics are actually very important and often overlooked by new players.
    My contention is this: how does the difficulty of execution serve the gameplay in any enjoyable capacity? Like, why is the ability of a player to control their character properly even considered (and made to be, by game design) a skill and not a completely basic matter?

It depends on the game itself. If you can't get down a simple BnB because your execution is trash, well then you might as well not play this character, or even said game because you can't get down a simple combo that puts you at an advantage to continue things like pressure, or force blockstrings that your opponent can't do anything about because they had to spend time teching. But had you have dropped the combo, guess what, now that single dropped combo puts you at a disadvantage because now you have to either eat the combo because of a whiffed normal that you can't cancel into a safe one, or just deal with the pressure that's being forced down your throat.

And of course, DAMAGE. People like Marlinpie can do combos with Dr. Doom that no one else could do. Guess what? It's an infinite. Guess what else? You're dead.

So it's game dependent, and can be situational as well.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    But shouldn't you get rewarded for being able to execute something "hard"? That's one of the fun of playing fighting games. It's the results of the fruits of long term play and such. And, being able to properly control a character should never be anything other than a skill, because how can you possibly turn something that is entirely dependent on an individual's skill one way or the other, into something "basic". The only scenario I can imagine that eases the player in mastery of a character, is that the game plays the character for you; which just sounds like an idea that hinders potential on the player side.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
    Years
    Oh, how I miss fighting games... not much fun, these days, having no one to play with. Although, recently I have gotten my hands on Injustice: Ultimate Edition. Gifted, of course.

The many, many fighting games I've conquered... Clay Fighter 64, the Super Smash Bros. series up to Brawl, a number of Soul Calibur games... a Power Ranger fighter I can't recall, and an old childhood favorite, Primal Rage.

I love fighting games. I suppose that's my love of violence showing. ;P If you show me a fighting game with Bowser, or some equally frightening character, I'd love to play it. And, of course, the Joker is a definite must.

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    I am a big fighting game fan.

My favorite franchise is Tekken. I own nearly every game of the franchise and I would say that i am quite good (not good enough for tournemants, but I win most of my online matches and desprite my girlfried who is at the same level as me I beat all my friends). My favorite characters are Heihachi and Baek.

I really like the Mortal Kombat series too. It's cool that they returned to their sources with the last title.

Despite a love nearly all Nintendo franchises I seldomly played any Smash Bros. game and I really suck at them. Last month I got a Wii (did not own it because I only played handhelds, PC and PS3 for a long time) and I bought Brawl too, I played for a little but I did not really find into the game. When I have more spare time I will spend more time with it, but I think Smash Bros. is just not my type of game.

pkmin3033

Lord, I absolutely loathe fighting games...because I'm awful at them. I did alright with the original Mortal Kombat, but from that point on every fighting game I've tried to get into I've been lousy at, no matter how much I practice or what tricks I try...even on the easiest difficulty setting, as embarrassing to admit as it is. I generally just avoid them now and save myself the embarrassment and frustration. xD

That said, I enjoy the Smash Bros. series, as it's probably the only series where I haven't been horribly inept (to a point) and PlayStation All-Stars wasn't too bad for me either. Nor was Dissidia, although I wouldn't really qualify that as a fighting game in a traditional sense...when I think "fighting games" I think "2D brawler" which I've always been awful at.

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
    I love fighting games. I love Super Smash and Tekken, including DOA and GunZ(I don't know if you could call that a fighting game cause it includes Guns.)

I suck against the top Players that go to tournaments, so I usually avoid them, even though I beat the crap out of my friends in Tekken, DOA, and GunZ.

For the Super Smash, I mostly play SSB4 and Melee. I have the basics down for Melee like Wavedashing and Edge hogging, but still suck at it. SSB4 i'm better at, and that's why i'm joining the online tournament in this section.

I main Lili in Tekken, Hitomi/Sarah in DOA, Elena in GunZ, Lucina in SSB4 and Marth in Melee.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    But shouldn't you get rewarded for being able to execute something "hard"? That's one of the fun of playing fighting games. It's the results of the fruits of long term play and such. And, being able to properly control a character should never be anything other than a skill, because how can you possibly turn something that is entirely dependent on an individual's skill one way or the other, into something "basic". The only scenario I can imagine that eases the player in mastery of a character, is that the game plays the character for you; which just sounds like an idea that hinders potential on the player side.
    Sorry, I should've clarified, though I don't think I can adequately explain what I'm getting at. Only that fighting games seem (to me) to have incredibly obfuscating control schemes, which I don't notice in any other genre, and which I feel take the focus of the game away from players' actual tactical decisions, while placing it more on... like... having to practice inputs over and over to get them right. That's just grinding, isn't it? Imagine if each move had its own button, more or less; would anything be wrong with that? I suspect players would unanimously answer with 'yes' but I'm left to wonder why. Is having to practice fun, and how so? I suppose that's what I'm trying to ask.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    Tekken 4 and 5 is by far the best Tekken gams for me. What would awesome is a Street Figther style game with controls as simplistic as Smash. I guess to a certain extent, that is Tekken ^_^. I main Hwoarang(dem combo kicks) and very luckly for me, was the first unlockable character I was given in Revolution. :p

Smash is good too, since it was the first fighting game....What can I say that already hasn't been. It's good.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Tekken 4 and 5 is by far the best Tekken gams for me. What would awesome is a Street Figther style game with controls as simplistic as Smash. I guess to a certain extent, that is Tekken ^_^. I main Hwoarang(dem combo kicks) and very luckly for me, was the first unlockable character I was given in Revolution. :p

Smash is good too, since it was the first fighting game....What can I say that already hasn't been. It's good.

Really? I find Tekken to be the more complicated fighting games.
    Street Fighter, you just need to remember quarter circle or zig zag motions followed by a punch or kick of your choice to pull off an attack. In Smash Bros, everything is just a direction plus B or A.

In Tekken, I need to memorize stuff like AABXRY to do combos. xD

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    Really? I find Tekken to be the more complicated fighting games.
    Street Fighter, you just need to remember quarter circle or zig zag motions followed by a punch or kick of your choice to pull off an attack. In Smash Bros, everything is just a direction plus B or A.

In Tekken, I need to memorize stuff like AABXRY to do combos. xD

Tekken's Control Scheme calls for all 8 directions on a standard D-Pad. I find it simpler than quarter circles and stuff found in Street Fighter. XD

OF COURSE, YOU CAN BE A PRICK AND BE THAT ONE GUY THAT JUST REMEMBERS THEIR CHEAP ATTACK AND SPAM IT(Hwoarang's is Down+Strong Kick+Weak Kick :p)

Yukari

You don't need to =D You can just find one spamming combo =D
    That's an easy way to lose if you're playing against someone who knows what they're doing. :P

Anyway I love fighting games. Some of my favorites are Street Fighter II, Super Smash Bros, Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi, and Mortal Kombat. I'm not into competitive fighting though, I just like to play them for fun.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2014
    Hey even i love fighting games!! ii used to play contra (A pretty old one) , wwe , motal combat, street fighter etc.,

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    The fighting genre's one I'm trying to get into more, and I play Street Fighter 4, along with some unconventional ones like the Touhou spin-off fighting games and some of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. The Touhou ones has a bunch of combo capabilities, whether you use normal special moves or your spell cards. I love the UNS games, even though I'm not a fan of the Naruto anime/manga. It's got some great graphics and a large roster, along with some spectacular finishing jutsu.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Sorry, I should've clarified, though I don't think I can adequately explain what I'm getting at. Only that fighting games seem (to me) to have incredibly obfuscating control schemes, which I don't notice in any other genre, and which I feel take the focus of the game away from players' actual tactical decisions, while placing it more on... like... having to practice inputs over and over to get them right. That's just grinding, isn't it?
    I'm going to use Street Fighter as an example, because it's the only one I'm fairly versed with in knowledge. But, in the very first Street Fighter, the game didn't actually tell you that the player was able to do a Hadouken, Shoryuken, or Tatsumaki. It was purposely done like that, because they were like "secret moves" if you knew the input. I'm positive that this was kept because it maintained the whole illusion of having a "secret" in your game; it was just adopted to be something invaluable and more well known, as fighting games garnered more popularity. For the bold, I'm actually confused on what you're trying to imply here. Execution errors and decision making usually fall into different places, unless the situation is where I made the wrong decision where I opted for a move but lost because of an execution error. Apologies, if that might have been an incorrect response, but I'm just genuinely confused on what's being said.

Imagine if each move had its own button, more or less; would anything be wrong with that? I suspect players would unanimously answer with 'yes' but I'm left to wonder why. Is having to practice fun, and how so? I suppose that's what I'm trying to ask.
    Like I said in my previous response, it hinders the potential the player or to put in better terms, the work that is needed. But to be honest, the more fighting games you play, the more accustomed you become with inputs and that's partially why no one ever questions it. Aside from people wanting to get into a fighting game and learn it. And, there are some players that find practicing as their joy of the game.

Back