• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fighting games

Years
    I used to play fighting games a lot when I was younger. My favourites are still from that time with Bloody Roar and Bloody Roar 2 (I'm sad that I haven't seen anyone mention these games).

I loved that each character had an animal they could transform into. I used to play as Alice and Shenlong (I especially loved how in his major combo he would start stomping at you in tiger form until he could grab you and then would land you with a laser punch). Bloody Roar was also one of the few fighting games that had an awesome story mode.

I also used to absolutely love and play to death Soul Blade (better precursor to Soul Caliber). I have played a number of Soul Caliber games since my first exposure with Soul Blade and none of them measure up. Soul Blade was just awesome.

I'm a fan of close range fighting games with combos. I loathe fighting games with long range attacks. For that reason, I also used to play DOA a bit, but that, as well as Soul Caliber have turned me off with their excessive unrealistic bouncing boobs obsession.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I used to play fighting games a lot when I was younger. My favourites are still from that time with Bloody Roar and Bloody Roar 2 (I'm sad that I haven't seen anyone mention these games).

I'm a huge Street Fighter and Smash Bros fan. I also play Soul Calibur 2, Bloody Roar Primal Fury, and some anime fighting games like DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and the Naruto Ninja Storm series.

Not the same games you were referring to but I still enjoy the series. :)
    I love the animal transformation concept as well. Used to play the hell out of that game when I was 9 or 10 and I still do from time to time. I always played as Yugo because his design was awesome. I love lions but don't really like Gado's design or play-style. Just recently I tried Bakuryu because of my ninja obsession lol.

Years
    I love playing soul calibur 5 and Tekken 5.

Both games has a lot of fun characters and there is plently of moves and strategy .

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm going to use Street Fighter as an example, because it's the only one I'm fairly versed with in knowledge. But, in the very first Street Fighter, the game didn't actually tell you that the player was able to do a Hadouken, Shoryuken, or Tatsumaki. It was purposely done like that, because they were like "secret moves" if you knew the input. I'm positive that this was kept because it maintained the whole illusion of having a "secret" in your game; it was just adopted to be something invaluable and more well known, as fighting games garnered more popularity. For the bold, I'm actually confused on what you're trying to imply here.
    Hmm hmm, well that's interesting knowing how it came to be so.
    Anyway, to your confusion: knowing what to but failing, even losing, because I screwed up with the input is quite aggrivating. I, personally at least, would expect/want a game's controls to interfere as little as possible with what I'm trying to do in the game itself, and I consider the complexity of required inputs to be an inteference. At the least every character in a given game could have standardised inputs for shared categories of moves, and many do, but just as many don't. It's akin to the reason why everyone hates the Wiimote (or let's just assume everyone does for the purpose of my post) — it gets in the way by making the user do extra or unorthodox things. Again I'm not sure I can explain myself adequately, sorry.

Execution errors and decision making usually fall into different places, unless the situation is where I made the wrong decision where I opted for a move but lost because of an execution error.
    How is an execution error a wrong decision on anyone's part? Or is that not what you meant?

Years
    Not the same games you were referring to but I still enjoy the series. :)
    I love the animal transformation concept as well. Used to play the hell out of that game when I was 9 or 10 and I still do from time to time. I always played as Yugo because his design was awesome. I love lions but don't really like Gado's design or play-style. Just recently I tried Bakuryu because of my ninja obsession lol.

My bad, I missed that when reading through the thread! Good to see another Bloody Roar fan. I never played that particular Bloody Roar. I stopped playing the series after number 3 because the combos (while I do love them) were starting to get a little out of hand but mainly because the games were too hard to find.

After my original post yesterday I forced my husband to play some rounds of bloody roar 2 with me. Still fun. :-)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    There's a question I thought I'd ask you all:

What do you think is the most important thing for a character to have in fighting games? Speed? Strength? Range? Style? Something else?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Well, I mean, it really depends on the game, and those are pretty general terms.

Street Fighter 4 favors footsies, Third Strike favors mix-ups, Brawl favors camping, Melee favors approaches, Marvel vs Capcom 3 favors hit confirms into combos, etc.

So in SF4 characters with strong pokes and projectiles are obviously gonna have an easier time than most.

Back