• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fighting games

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    There's plenty of them out there! Do you play a lot of them or no? Talk about your favorites and how you choose your mains. Do you go and pick up a fighting game for the characters or the gameplay? Enter tournaments? Talk about anything related to fighting games!

I'm a huge Street Fighter and Smash Bros fan. I also play Soul Calibur 2, Bloody Roar Primal Fury, and some anime fighting games like DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and the Naruto Ninja Storm series.

I choose my mains based on speed and comfort. If a character is speedy and their combo commands feel natural and fluid to me, I pick them. If I don't pick a speedy character, I usually go for characters who have a good range like Kilik in Soul Calibur 2 since his staff has good reach.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Fighting games are godlike

I normally main boxers (Street Fighter and Smash are the only exceptions) since it's what I do. Steve Fox and Dudley for life.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I'm not good at them at all, but I like using them robot girls. Nu-13 and Alisa Bosconovitch pls.

Yukari

I do like to play Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros in my spare time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Unfortunately, I'm not that much into fighting games, to be honest. Some of them are great, but in a few ways, not all of them suit my tastes.

Off top of my head, only series that I do like which could be put into this category is Super Smash Brothers. It might not actually be fighting in a traditional sense, but the game is still able to relate in one way or another, and personally, I'm just a huge fan. Have been following this particular video game series ever since I had gotten a hold of my Nintendo 64, and still am. Not sure if I'll ever stop, haha.

Of them all, my most favorite Smash game thus far would likely have to be Brawl. It includes a ton of characters I enjoy playing with, and I find most of its stages to be pretty intriguing. Also, I can't wait for 3DS and Wii U SSB to be released; am probably getting both versions.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Tekken > everything.

I suck so much at combos in fighting games... that's what blocks me from finishing Persona 4 Arena...

I also sometimes play Street Fighter.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite genre, but I do like playing it.

Years
  • Oh! An actual FGC thread? Joy!

Uh. I'm really good at Persona. I even place in tournaments sometimes...

I used to play SF but it just isn't as fun as the anime fighters. I dropped BB though because my main is getting destroyed next update. Just waiting on Dengeki Fighting Climax since I already have Ultimax since I imported it. Oh and Under Night. I kinda just go for who I have fun with. Sometimes this just happens to be the guy with a Katana(Narukami, Hyde), but it can depend on the game since I main Taki in SC and Guy in SF.

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to fighting games, I have played and own the following:
    Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Fate of Two Worlds
    Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
    SoulCalibur IV
    SoulCalibur Broken Destiny
    Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
    Injustice Gods Among Us
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Dissidia Final Fantasy
    Dissidia 012 duodecim Final Fantasy

As for mains in each of those games, here is who I use as my mains.
    In Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Fate of Two Worlds:
    Deadpool
    Captain America
    Sentinel

In Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition:
    Scorpion
    Freddy Krueger

In SoulCalibur IV:
    Nitemare
    Darth Vader

In SoulCalibur Broken Destiny:
    Custom Characters

In Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
    Kasumi

In Injustice Gods Among Us:
    Superman
    Joker
    Ares
    Harley Quinn

In Super Smash Bros Brawl:
    Samus

In Dissidia Final Fantasy:
    Garland
    Cloud
    Cecil
    Golbez
    Gabranth

In Dissidia 012 duodecim Final Fantasy:
    Kain
    Gilgamesh
    Lighting
    also the ones listed under Dissidia Final Fantasy

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Oh! An actual FGC thread? Joy!

Uh. I'm really good at Persona. I even place in tournaments sometimes...

I used to play SF but it just isn't as fun as the anime fighters. I dropped BB though because my main is getting destroyed next update. Just waiting on Dengeki Fighting Climax since I already have Ultimax since I imported it. Oh and Under Night. I kinda just go for who I have fun with. Sometimes this just happens to be the guy with a Katana(Narukami, Hyde), but it can depend on the game since I main Taki in SC and Guy in SF.
    So you have completed all the challenges and Score Mode? If so, care to share tips? :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I find the technicalities of high-level play fascinating, but I don't really play for myself. I'm really not someone who enjoys mastering complex inputs and I'd honestly consider it a design flaw that I can't even control my character fully once I understand the controls, because I'm expected to take the time to practice precise input timing and actually getting the motions right in the first place. I grew up with this here keyboard and I just want one button to do each thing, but no one's ever going to make a fighter where one can do that, right? I really do wonder why not. What does having to get one's control inputs right have to do with enjoyment of a game?

Last edited:

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • FG threads that isn't Smash in Video Games? GASP.

Been playing fighting games my whole life. Also, an avid follower of tournaments, never attended one though due to where I live and time. Doesn't help that Canada Cup is discontinued for the foreseeable future.

Some of my favourite fighting games are Third Strike, BBCP, TvC, CvS2, and Melee. I have a preference to anime fighters, since I like to have airdashes for all of my characters, haha.

Most of the time I decide my mains based on how comfortable I am while playing them. So, I'll play a zoner, grappler, or whatever if I feel comfortable enough. I just don't play charge characters, that's not my thing.

because I'm expected to take the time to practice precise input timing and actually getting the motions right in the first place.
    Execution is just one part of being a good fighting game player. Heck, I'd rather have decent blocking and spacial awareness rather than perfect execution.

Years
  • So you have completed all the challenges and Score Mode? If so, care to share tips? :D

Bruh, there IS no strategy for Sco-

Actually, there is. Depending on the character, you can abuse a lot of stuff. A lot of the AI for the Score Attacks have set patterns, such as Chie in P4U always doing Dragon Kick if you're a certain distance. I haven't played through P4U2 SA mode yet to make an opinion but I'll let you know once I figure things out.

And for challenges, which character? I may have some help.

Execution is just one part of being a good fighting game player. Heck, I'd rather have decent blocking and spacial awareness rather than perfect execution.

Well iunno, having that super swaggius maximus combo can get into your opponent's head if it's some really dank stuff. It helped me a lot in Persona, where players where scared of even pressing a button because I could get 7K off a simple 5A.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I have played several of the Fighting games, like Super Smash Bros. and Digimon Rumble Arena. I played Guilty Gear and Marvel Vs. Capcom on occasion, as well.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Well iunno, having that super swaggius maximus combo can get into your opponent's head if it's some really dank stuff. It helped me a lot in Persona, where players where scared of even pressing a button because I could get 7K off a simple 5A.
    I know the importance of having the ability to have some godlike executions, I play Marvel, haha. But I just value blocking and proper spacing over execution, that's not to say my execution is bad, it's decent enough :x. But, I think a well done reset can really screw up a person mind just as much as a badass combo.

and quarter circle with Dualshock is a hell =D
    Do the motion smoothly. Dualshocks have some decent d-pads for fighting games, but they're some of the worst offenders for getting blisters.

Years
  • I know the importance of having the ability to have some godlike executions, I play Marvel, haha. But I just value blocking and proper spacing over execution, that's not to say my execution is bad, it's decent enough :x. But, I think a well done reset can really screw up a person mind just as much as a badass combo.

Oh dude, I don't even try to count things like blocking in Marvel, that game is full of BS and fraudulent tech anyway lmao. Being able to block properly in that game is a godsend.

Everyone :D I can't do the right timing... and quarter circle with Dualshock is a hell =D

Yeah, do what Arc said. Be smooth and fluid with it. Learning notations will help a little bit too since it'll come down to muscle memory and your brain will just register it instantly. But being smooth is the most helpful part.

Reactions: Arc
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Everyone :D I can't do the right timing... and quarter circle with Dualshock is a hell =D

I actually find doing quarter circles on a PS3 controller much easier than on a 360 controller.

Counter-quarter circles are kinda tough though, which is why I quickly switch to the d-pad sometimes.

Back