• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fire Emblem - Series discussion thread

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't get on hype trains, but I'm still interested in getting Echoes/Shadows of Valentia. Gives me a way to play one of the games older than Path of Radiance but with all the updates and stuff of being a current day game.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I'm definitely a sucker for the older games; FE3 and 4 are my favorite games in the series.

I'm excited for Echoes given that I've played the original one for the NES. I'd like to see how much they change up given the dated nature of the original. Can we walk around in towns? That was most unique thing about the original game, and wonder if they'll bring it back.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the Fire Emblem series, I recall that the first game I played was Fire Emblem (a.k.a. Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken [in Japan]). Since that time I have also played the following games in the the series: Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Fire Emblem Fates Conquest. Of the games I have played, the only ones I have owned were Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates Conquest. Shadow Dragon is the only one I have not beaten out of the ones I have played.

I admit that in the games before Awakening, I was one of those people that would always restart a chapter if I lost any units.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I admit that in the games before Awakening, I was one of those people that would always restart a chapter if I lost any units.
    Isn't that how most people play it though?

Or at least, I've always restarted a chapter when I lose someone (with a few rare exceptions).

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Isn't that how most people play it though?

Or at least, I've always restarted a chapter when I lose someone (with a few rare exceptions).

Same here. If I don't like a character, I won't bother :p

I started with Fates, but I wanna get awakening too. Also planning on getting the future titles.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Isn't that how most people play it though?
    It is, but I've always been interested in trying it so that dead is dead and I don't reload unless MU dies. Seems like it'd be a good deal of fun, I'd imagine.

Can't see that working out in Conquest, though. Though since you couldn't grind old/unused or new units up like you would in Awakening/Birthright/whathaveyou that might even make it more fun.

Hm...

Years
  • I can never really get into Fates. I am trying but I just end up dropping it. My favorites are GBA Fire Emblem games. I love the Radiant Saga too. Can't wait for Echoes, this looks like an FE that I will like agaIn. I have also been getting the urge to go through Awakening again.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Oh yes you definitely do need to get on those games. Both were such great console FE games. I wish the Wii U would have gotten a real FE game now that I think about those.

SOON. I'm actually picking up PoR now and I'll be starting it soon.

And the Wii U was not worthy of a Fire Emblem game.

OH HEY LOOK A NEW OFFICIAL VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBa7hd6FDzI

THIS VIDEO IS A SPOILER. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED DON'T CLICK IT.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I can never really get into Fates.
    Kinda curious, Birthright or Conquest?

Oh, and regarding the new one, looking forward to it. The traditional 2D animation had me worried for a bit since I've been digging their 3D cutscenes in Fates and Awakening, good to see there'll be some mix of both, though.

And I'm glad to see that they're definitely making this a modern Fire Emblem Gaiden and not just a modern Fire Emblem. I did enjoy Conquest and Awakening a fair bit but Gaiden was always something of a black sheep for the series. Hell, I can't tell you how I went from non-plussed to ecstatic when they revealed that it was going to be a remake. Seems like they're going all the way with it, too.

I'm also pretty happy about how things are looking. Seems like the UI and battle designers are really settling into the 3DS well from an aesthetic perspective. Looks better and better with each game.

Years
  • SOON. I'm actually picking up PoR now and I'll be starting it soon.

And the Wii U was not worthy of a Fire Emblem game.

Kinda curious, Birthright or Conquest?

Oh, and regarding the new one, looking forward to it. The traditional 2D animation had me worried for a bit since I've been digging their 3D cutscenes in Fates and Awakening, good to see there'll be some mix of both, though.

And I'm glad to see that they're definitely making this a modern Fire Emblem Gaiden and not just a modern Fire Emblem. I did enjoy Conquest and Awakening a fair bit but Gaiden was always something of a black sheep for the series. Hell, I can't tell you how I went from non-plussed to ecstatic when they revealed that it was going to be a remake. Seems like they're going all the way with it, too.

I'm also pretty happy about how things are looking. Seems like the UI and battle designers are really settling into the 3DS well from an aesthetic perspective. Looks better and better with each game.

@Decidueye I wanna get a copy of them both again, but debating on whether I should wait for it to one day appear on Virtual Console or just shell out for a GC. I probably am gonna wait seeing as Echoes comes out soon and I'm really into the Switch right now.

@machomuu Playing Conquest. I am a sucker for punishment in RPGs especially FE but this one I cannot get into. There is just something about it's presentation that I am unable to get past. I feel like I'd like Birthright more even though it's the easier of the two.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • @
    @machomuu Playing Conquest. I am a sucker for punishment in RPGs especially FE but this one I cannot get into. There is just something about it's presentation that I am unable to get past. I feel like I'd like Birthright more even though it's the easier of the two.
    The presentation, huh? I can definitely see that, and related to an extent. I was hooked on Conquest when I got it but even though I can definitely say it was far better designed than Awakening was...I dunno. Awakening was a really comfy experience that I sunk a lot of my time into, and part of that was the world encounters/grind and the mostly RNG-based difficulty, but I remember just having a great time with it.

I don't know if I could rightly say that Awakening is better than Conquest, but I think that it definitely knew how to suck in just about anybody. And Conquest feels a bit claustrophobic and mono-paletted in a way that Awakening (and most FE titles, really) didn't. So I can understand that. Personally, I've been enjoying that the difficulty's a return to form and the characters (Arthur is a gift to mankind), with the only thing that's really been stopping me from having beaten it is...well, the difficulty, so Birthright's still a twinkle off in the distance even though I've had this game for what feels like a year now, so I couldn't really say one way or the other in your case. But at the very least I hope you do like BR once you get to it, then maybe you can persuade me to buy it right away.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Wow. Intelligent Systems is really working overtime these past few years. Fates was pretty gigantic and now they're already releasing another game a little more than a year later. I remember when they considered calling it quits if Awakening didn't do well. This remake looks awesome.

I watched this really in-depth analysis. It seems like IS spent a lot of time balancing the game. My only complaint about Awakening/Fates was balance and how characters could become literal gods. 1-5 range archers though <33333

Anyways, I'm so excited for this game and I'm completely surprised that it looks so good for how soon it's coming out. I wasn't expecting this at all. I just hope that there is a Switch FE entry!!

edit: Yassssss. Gamestop still had some Special Editions available for preorder when I checked. Heard they sold out instantly but I guess more were posted.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The presentation, huh? I can definitely see that, and related to an extent. I was hooked on Conquest when I got it but even though I can definitely say it was far better designed than Awakening was...I dunno. Awakening was a really comfy experience that I sunk a lot of my time into, and part of that was the world encounters/grind and the mostly RNG-based difficulty, but I remember just having a great time with it.

I don't know if I could rightly say that Awakening is better than Conquest, but I think that it definitely knew how to suck in just about anybody. And Conquest feels a bit claustrophobic and mono-paletted in a way that Awakening (and most FE titles, really) didn't. So I can understand that. Personally, I've been enjoying that the difficulty's a return to form and the characters (Arthur is a gift to mankind), with the only thing that's really been stopping me from having beaten it is...well, the difficulty, so Birthright's still a twinkle off in the distance even though I've had this game for what feels like a year now, so I couldn't really say one way or the other in your case. But at the very least I hope you do like BR once you get to it, then maybe you can persuade me to buy it right away.
    To me there is more to FE than a tight mechanics experience. Because let's face it they all do have good gameplay. Art style is a very important too, for me if something doesn't have a good one I like then I'll not be fully into it. I have gotten to like Chapter 23 or 24 and the whole game just wasn't all that great up to that point. The map design was amazing though but other than that it just was flat. For all my gripes on Awakening that game just grabbed me like the GBA games did. There was so much to it and for what it was it definitely lived up to all the hype and great marketing it received. I have a feeling Echoes is gonna be way better than Fates was. I could use a classic FE right now too.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • To me there is more to FE than a tight mechanics experience. Because let's face it they all do have good gameplay. Art style is a very important too, for me if something doesn't have a good one I like then I'll not be fully into it. I have gotten to like Chapter 23 or 24 and the whole game just wasn't all that great up to that point. The map design was amazing though but other than that it just was flat. For all my gripes on Awakening that game just grabbed me like the GBA games did. There was so much to it and for what it was it definitely lived up to all the hype and great marketing it received. I have a feeling Echoes is gonna be way better than Fates was. I could use a classic FE right now too.
    That's kind of what I'm getting at, I suppose. Aesthetically it doesn't really flourish like the others do. Color-wise it's various shades of gray, black, and purple, and even when the levels have color they don't have that much flourish. This was true for the characters, the world map, and pretty much everything I can think of. It's obviously not just color but that's just one of various ways that the game doesn't really give off as much...personality as various other titles in the series. I kind of noticed this when I'd play the game for hours upon hours and it'd begin to grate on me. And I think the tone of the music and the nature of the hub definitely played a part in this as well. It's all unforgivingly somber, which works to some extent but the game isn't really as dark as the atmosphere suggests.

Speaking of Echoes, I do have to wonder how they'll handle DLC and if they'll keep going with the formula they developed for Fates and Awakening. I'd honestly like to see it skip this one, because while I don't have any sort of vendetta against DLC like some seem to, I'm not particularly a fan of the way it's utilized in the series. Save for the plot-heavy episodic ones, those generally have a pretty solid execution even if I'm a bit iffy on their pricing.

Back