• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fire Emblem?

AlphaLuxray

Serious Punch!
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    So, quick backstory, Fire Emblem's been one of my favorite games growing up. As I've just gotten a hold of Fates, my love has been rekindled, and I got to brewing an RP set within the universe.

The plot'll be pretty basic (still only have the barebones, and don't want to spoil the ending in case this actually gets off the ground), leaving the player characters to do most of the plot development. Obviously there will be presented scenarios, but as in the game, the way the characters solve the scenario is open ended.

Obviously the class system would exist, as well as the weapon triangle (Though with Fates it seems more like a freaking octagon), though I was thinking levels would be more organized. Since combat like that in the games is unrealistic to happen for an RP, I was thinking that after every encounter, each character would gain 1-2 levels depending on participation and difficulty. Levels would just be there to keep track of promotes.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? I'm open to all.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    How would you advertise your idea to people unfamiliar with the Fire Emblem franchise?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I'd say that for people unfamiliar with Fire Emblem, it's basically a warrior/fantasy-esque RP. I assume people would choose a class from ones listed, and roll from there. I assume by barebones style, you're going with the typical defeat evil army, and defeat endgame dragon, yeah?

Mmm, that being said, you don't really have to incorporate levels into this; I ran a Fire Emblem RP once in another forum, and it proceeded smoothly without them, in fact. Or perhaps you could go with the style of Pokemon Journey RPs, where every battle = a level up. But you would still have to think about how to promote the players, and other mechanics if you're going for more a statistical approach.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I'd say that for people unfamiliar with Fire Emblem, it's basically a warrior/fantasy-esque RP.
    I meant, from the perspective of a game master, how would AlphaLuxray present the roleplay he wants to introduce to someone who isn't considering it in the context of the series? I'm personally, to a small extent, accustomed with Fire Emblem.

User19sq

I meant, from the perspective of a game master, how would AlphaLuxray present the roleplay he wants to introduce to someone who isn't considering it in the context of the series? I'm personally, to a small extent, accustomed with Fire Emblem.

Not into roleplay, and not really an Emblemier, but I'll offer my two cents:

All units have a class (as in the type of soldier they are). Weapons have a Pokemon-esque triangle too, so Axes die to Tomes, die to Swords, die to Axes, and a few exceptions (pegasus/wyvern riders die to arrows). All units fight for their army against another, or possibly more than just an opposing army. Leveling up enough allows an evolution to a stronger class, usually related to the current one. Weapon-usability is limited to the class in question: a Hero usually fights with swords or axes, but cannot use tomes or staves (for healing others). In terms of stats: usually left to the character.

If I could recommend anything at all, as someone from the outside looking in: artworks of character portraits may make for a better experience. -w-

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Not into roleplay, and not really an Emblemier, but I'll offer my two cents:
    Essentially, I'm asking, from the perspective of a roleplayer looking for an incentive to consider joining a Fire Emblem RP for a reason other than it being a Fire Emblem RP in-particular, if there is something additional that could attract my interest. I'm not looking for an explanation of core mechanics rather than evidence that AlphaLuxray's idea can come to fruition as an enjoyable roleplay in its own right without relying on the established elements of a franchise.

Really, it isn't a question posed for anyone other than the probable game master, so I'll anticipate his answer.

User19sq

Essentially, I'm asking, from the perspective of a roleplayer looking for an incentive to consider joining a Fire Emblem RP for a reason other than it being a Fire Emblem RP in-particular, if there is something additional that could attract my interest. I'm not looking for an explanation of core mechanics rather than evidence that AlphaLuxray's idea can come to fruition as an enjoyable roleplay in its own right without relying on the established elements of a franchise.

Really, it isn't a question posed for anyone other than the probable game master, so I'll anticipate his answer.

Though I've been shoo'd: Support Conversations. I'll let the master delve into it.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I might drop in and check on this every once in a while. Not sure if I'll join, as I'm super pressed for time right now, but it looks interesting.

AlphaLuxray

Serious Punch!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    SO. Sorry I haven't been replying! Apparently PC forgot to subscribe me to my own thread!

@Disclosed: There actually won't be much in this RP that is truly Fire Emblem, actually; as I'm building it out, I don't even think I'll mention weapon triangles. It's going to boil down to this: a small group of warrior face insurmountable odds and manage to pull through to save the world. Battle will be tough to explain at the point I'm at with this RP, but I believe I will have the party discuss their strategies in the OOC thread before the battle, then have a few posts of them fighting.

@Taro: Support would be interesting, but since most of the RP's going to be taking place outside battle characters can just develop there.

@Dragon: Not particularly where I was going by saying barebones; I meant to say I had only just started putting the plot together, and had only one or two events. I'm actually going with (what I hope) is an original idea.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be able to reply in a more timely manner now.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    There actually won't be much in this RP that is truly Fire Emblem, actually; as I'm building it out, I don't even think I'll mention weapon triangles. It's going to boil down to this: a small group of warrior face insurmountable odds and manage to pull through to save the world. Battle will be tough to explain at the point I'm at with this RP, but I believe I will have the party discuss their strategies in the OOC thread before the battle, then have a few posts of them fighting.
    Ah, I get 'cha. My first impression when I read your original post was that it would heavily rely on a pre-understanding of the franchise, mostly because your description seemed to rely so much on that knowledge itself. Not to say, as someone who tried to get into the games at one point, that the "essence" of Fire Emblem can't make for a fun RP, because I think the idea of a strategy-based roleplay on its own is a fantastic one, and I'd be happy to see something along those lines crop up here. The closest thing I can remember is a rolepay based off of Pokemon Conquest, and that, unfortunately, never took off.

Utilization of the OOC thread to strategize is also a super fun concept and I think you should definitely see to fleshing it out.

I mean, the majority of the ideas you've presented seem pretty solid already. If you have any examples of, like, how the battle system might work, how the roleplay might be segmented, the workings of the plot, etc. I would love to see them, but otherwise you've pretty much piqued my interest.

Crow

A bird among... Non-birds.
    Years
  • I'm very interested, though I would like the weapon triangle to say (though while Fates did broaden its range, it still placed the other weapon types into a proper third and sorted them by color)

Only thing is personally I don't like levels much in creative writing. They're not an issue, though, that's only my preference. I would love to see character creation and development within the fire emblem universe, even if the plot is loose or tight, please keep it fire emblem.

AlphaLuxray

Serious Punch!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    So here's my thoughts on how this RP is going to work so far, and was hoping to get some feedback.

Town areas would be a sort of sandbox, letting characters do what they want and stock up on items. They could also find subquests in these areas later on.

The party would then move from objective to objective, whether that be a combat encounter or another town. Combat encounters would be presented similar to the "Check Map" function of the game, and strategy discussion would then take place. Actual combat will unfold mainly as the characters describe their scenarios, though bosses or important characters will be played as NPCs.

In the time between objectives, I was considering an Oregon Trail-esque encounter system (this could be randomized), that could lead to anything from a simple roleplaying encounter to a full battle. This would also be the optimal way to introduce new characters that join after we've started (I plan on leaving it open, since you can always recruit new characters in the games).

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Do you have any ideas you might want to propose?

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    So here's my thoughts on how this RP is going to work so far, and was hoping to get some feedback.
    As long as you keep the roleplay's momentum rolling, I think the brief sandbox areas could definitely work, especially if there are GM-organized events and even if the town areas themselves get some development.

Do you still intend to hold strategy discussion outside of the in-character thread, or would you be more along the lines of permitting the characters themselves to work through their overarching battle plan?

I'm liking the sound of randomized encounters, too, just for the implication that anything could happen in-between major story events. Like, maybe you had a handful of ideas of who could approach the party, and then you randomly-selected one of those concepts. At the same time, I wouldn't discount working with members of the RP to fill in those gaps as well, but having of the majority of these instances be technically up to you is much better for pacing's sake.

And I like the idea of having opportunities for more players to safely jump in as well. Most roleplays here aren't constructed around letting a stream of player-controlled characters in or out at various times, so it would definitely set the RP apart, in that regard. Having that overarching theme of camaraderie, from the in-character thread to the out-of-character interactions, is very fitting of the Fire Emblem franchise... I assume, I mean they're always in armies and the whole marriage mechanic...

So, yeah, a lot of solid concepts so far! I have a more practical question as well: what sort of classes will be available to choose from for the RP, do you think, and will the same gender-exclusivity stand in-place regarding those classes? (Awkward question, but I'm really interesting in a male Troubadour or Dancer myself and the canon isn't helping me in either cases.)

Years
  • I would be all over an FE RP. Is it going to support already existing characters and original characters? Also I love the idea of the Oregon Trail type scenarios, that is such a good idea. Oh and support conversations definitely should be a thing in here that way characters could build good relationships and get increased stats in battle and it would be good for romance aspects if characters want to fall in love or whatnot.

AlphaLuxray

Serious Punch!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    @Tsuchinko: Here's the thing about support convo's, since the party will always be interacting, there's no need for them as they're presented in the games. I'm all for romance and such though, and can try to figure out a way to rewaed relationships that doean't make them a requirement. Also, I was hoping to have all original characters, since I don't plan on it being set in an existing FE game.

@Disclosed: The only problem I see with in-character discussions is that posts would be VERY hard to make acceptably long, whereas out of character one or two lines is acceptable. Once the plan is discussed, though, I'm perfectly fine with the party "strategizing" in character.

As for classes, I'd prefer for characters to start at their tier 1 classes (pre-promotes will be accepted as the RP goes on), and while I would like to stick to canon as far as those classes go, I'll accept a character that breaks the rules with a good enough reason.

LinearAxel

That Dream...Make it Come True!
    Years
  • I have a raging Fire Emblem obsession (I have put no less than 300 hours into Fates) and would not only love to join, but would love to help you, if you need it.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    @Disclosed: The only problem I see with in-character discussions is that posts would be VERY hard to make acceptably long, whereas out of character one or two lines is acceptable. Once the plan is discussed, though, I'm perfectly fine with the party "strategizing" in character.

As for classes, I'd prefer for characters to start at their tier 1 classes (pre-promotes will be accepted as the RP goes on), and while I would like to stick to canon as far as those classes go, I'll accept a character that breaks the rules with a good enough reason.
    So, determining the battle plan beforehand and then playing it out in-character? That makes sense, yeah; I'd say it's definitely better organized.

Would also like to say that I appreciate your openness for feedback. You seem very much on top of things!

Though regarding classes, you may want to include a list of those Tier 1's since I recall browsing a Fire Emblem wiki the other day and just being completely disoriented, lol. I think different classes have evolved overtime as the franchise continued, as well, though I assume we're following what Fates established just based on it being the newest.

AlphaLuxray

Serious Punch!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    @Disclosed: Yeah, I'll sort those out when I get to putting everything together.

That being said, I've gotten to the point of writing everything down! Thanks for all the help; the RP should be up in a week or so depending how busy college gets.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    That being said, I've gotten to the point of writing everything down! Thanks for all the help; the RP should be up in a week or so depending how busy college gets.
    Glad to hear! I'm excited to see how the final product looks!

Years
  • I think there should also be some sort of randomization too. Since the FE games are all about taking chances in battle and being left in situations where you are really hoping to land the hit but you have low percentage chance of landing and same case for dodging an attack. Also there are those items that have low percent chance of hitting like the special staves and such. Maybe a dice rolling thing can be implemented according to the situation. I feel like this can make it feel a lot more like FE.

Back