• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Following Pokémon

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Yeah that's why they limited the Pokémon so severely in LGPE - no way they could make walking models for 850 Pokémon in time. That's also why they've reused the battle models of many Pokémon ever since Gen 6.

Ohhh, that never crossed my mind! I was wondering why random encounters were back in this game when they had finally been done away with in LGPE, but this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for bringing this up! ^_^

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Ohhh, that never crossed my mind! I was wondering why random encounters were back in this game when they had finally been done away with in LGPE, but this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for bringing this up! ^_^
    Random encounters were gone in LGPE because LGPE is meant to reflect GO mechanics, and GO shows the Pokémon in the "overworld" as well. That's also why you don't battle wild Pokémon--it's meant to mimic GO. But now we're back to classic mechanics: random encounters and battling wild Pokémon.
    They could be hiding it, it's a feature a lot of us want, so they could hide it to surprise the player. You do have to remember that the following feature was optional in Let's Go.
    I hope this is the case. Options are best in a game like this and having the feature be optional would be great for people who don't care for it, and it would also be a great mechanic to reveal later to keep prerelease hype strong.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Random encounters were gone in LGPE because LGPE is meant to reflect GO mechanics, and GO shows the Pokémon in the "overworld" as well. That's also why you don't battle wild Pokémon--it's meant to mimic GO. But now we're back to classic mechanics: random encounters and battling wild Pokémon.

Ah I see, I didn't know that particular detail was meant to reflect Pokémon GO! I had always assumed it was a natural evolution in the mechanics, since there have been other RPG series (such as Dragon Quest and MOTHER) that used to have random encounters in the past, but now make all monsters/enemies visible in the overworld for their newer installments.

As unlikely as this is, I'd absolutely love for the feature to return. HGSS was one of the best main series games around, not only for the content but also the follow feature. One can hope. Pokémon could use a bit more expansion as well as sticking with features they've previously implemented, rather than removing or keeping them exclusive to a select few games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    It's looking like following pokemon was removed, along with overworld encounters.

Last edited:
    Back