• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Footprints...

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
  • Are you using the footprints to track how close you are to the Pok?mon nearby?

Footprints...
    vs.
    Footprints...

Closing in on anything specific, or just going wherever the wind takes you?

Years
  • Is that what those mean? Interesting! I had assumed it just meant "Go walk around and find it lazy guy." Because I've yet to actually leave my house yet :X But I will definitely use that to find the eevee that seem to be nearby but not in my house.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • I was wondering what those footprints meant! The only ones with three right now are a couple of mons that I already have, but I'm gonna utilize that feature around my workplace today. So far I've been hoping to find a few specific Pokemon, rather than just tracking down every Weedle I see, but there's not much around here yet.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
  • Used those footprints to track down a gastly today. No better feeling than looking at a screen in despair for ages with three footprints locked in place.

Then it drops to two.

And when it drops to two? That's when shit gets real.

Years
  • Man I actually thought that that was what those footprints meant but I didn't give them much thought. By the way I'm just getting but since the eggs are measured in Km does that mean that each footprint means 1km?

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I honestly wished they bring it back to what it used to be :c Originally the distances were actually written out as 0m, 50m, 100m,150m and 200m. Earlier to the end of the beta it changed to 20s instead of 50s. Have no idea why they would suddenly change it on the full release, but I'm not a fan of it not being as clear anymore :/

Footprints...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    I noticed all the Pok?mon that were nearby had 3 footprints going right, when I turned around they were still going right. Meaning who knows where they were.

Do the footprints always face right?

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    as far as ive seen they do, when the footprints go down that means the pokemon is closer so you pick a direction and if the pokemon goes down in the list youre going further away if it works up to the top theyre gettin closer and definitely when the footprints go down youre on the right track, this is how i caught a golbat and the cubone i have

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    Hopping onto the bandwagon of people who just became aware of what those do, haha. That's certainly a relief, as there are mostly 3 footprint pokemon near me. Maybe I'm just lucky, though. TIL c;

edit: i was just informed that 3 is bad. whoops

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • ...this is how i caught a golbat and the cubone i have

I'm so jealous! Cubone is my absolute favorite. ;-;

Although I did use this method to track down and catch a bunch of Vulpix earlier this evening. It works, you just gotta be patient and be willing to walk in many different directions. I wish it would at least somewhat guide you by cardinal direction somehow.

Years

I'm so jealous! Cubone is my absolute favorite. ;-;

Although I did use this method to track down and catch a bunch of Vulpix earlier this evening. It works, you just gotta be patient and be willing to walk in many different directions. I wish it would at least somewhat guide you by cardinal direction somehow.

There's actually a great way to use the footprint functionality by triangulating the pokemon's relative position. Try the following and it will work for you every time (unless there's an in-game glitch, of course, *ahem*, but the mathematics are sound...)

~

Let's say you have a Pokemon with 2 footprints showing on your radar. (if you do not, walk until you DO have one with 2 footprints).

Now, choose a direction and walk that way in as straight a line as possible (doesn't have to be perfect). If the footsteps increase to 3 immediately stop, note the general location of where you have stopped, then turn around 180 degrees. Walk back the way you just came. It will eventually decrease to 2 again.

Keep walking. Unless you just got lucky and are now heading straight to your Pokemon, the steps will eventually increase to 3 again. Stop. Turn around. Look back and eye the general location where you stopped in the other direction and try to gauge the midpoint between that spot and where you are now. Walk to the midpoint.

In the middle, between the two locations where the pokemon's distance became 3 prints away, you choose either left or right and walk. You will either head directly into the Pokemon or directly away from it, which is easily corrected when you see the steps increase.

Works every time, as long as you don't have buildings in your way.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2016
    There's actually a great way to use the footprint functionality by triangulating the pokemon's relative position. Try the following and it will work for you every time (unless there's an in-game glitch, of course, *ahem*, but the mathematics are sound...)

~

Let's say you have a Pokemon with 2 footprints showing on your radar. (if you do not, walk until you DO have one with 2 footprints).

Now, choose a direction and walk that way in as straight a line as possible (doesn't have to be perfect). If the footsteps increase to 3 immediately stop, note the general location of where you have stopped, then turn around 180 degrees. Walk back the way you just came. It will eventually decrease to 2 again.

Keep walking. Unless you just got lucky and are now heading straight to your Pokemon, the steps will eventually increase to 3 again. Stop. Turn around. Look back and eye the general location where you stopped in the other direction and try to gauge the midpoint between that spot and where you are now. Walk to the midpoint.

In the middle, between the two locations where the pokemon's distance became 3 prints away, you choose either left or right and walk. You will either head directly into the Pokemon or directly away from it, which is easily corrected when you see the steps increase.

Works every time, as long as you don't have buildings in your way.

This is so obvious and so brilliant. Hopefully this makes catching pokemon easier! Thank you!

Jiggling Jigglypuff

I'll Sing Ya To Sleep
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I usually check the footsteps and if I see a Pokemon that is close that I haven't caught yet I quickly rush out of the house to search unless if its late at night or in the middle of the night. If it is a Pokemon I have multiples of I don't rush around.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    There are too many cars and other things to pay attention too around here for me to efficiently track the footprints, but I'm sure I'll use it more when I get back on campus or something, when I'm in an area that's a bit more "walk wherever you want"-friendly. :)

I did use it briefly to track an Electabuzz earlier though. I really wanted the Electabuzz.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I used the footprint tracking to find out where all the Vulpix in my city were hiding the other night.

It worked pretty successfully... I only need a few more candy and I will have a nice Ninetails to brag about.

Years
  • I've tracked down more than a few Eevees with this, but I often have the problem where I'm one step away and the radar resets with a new batch of 9 Pokemon who are all 3 steps away, and all of them are Pidgeys and Doduos and such.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Best thing ever. Used it last night to track an Eevee, and POOF it appeared right in front of me after a few seconds of walking.

Years
  • I understand the logic behind the footprints, but I don't think they are practical. I would prefer it they could be put into numerical figures. Doesn't have to track every meter in distance, but general 10/50/100 so on.​

Back