• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Years
    So, Silverstone has started for practise laps and the official rage, as usual, will be on Sunday. Tomorrow is the qualifying round.

Also, in the practise laps today, Kobayashi had a pretty bad crash, car is pretty wrecked and he nearly flipped the car.​

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    So much for the new rules being an issue with Red Bull since Webber and Vettel took 1/2. Ferrai was definitely looking go taking 3 and 4 positions. Di Resta and Maldonado looked pretty good.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Well, the difference was barely a tenth, and they reported a possible overheating issue during the race now that their engines can't expel as much steam as they used to. If they win tomorrow, the season is definitely over. But if they don't...

Years
    Good to see Di Resta up the grid at his home grand prix. Button not as good but still decent and as always its good to see Hamilton lower down the grid.

As far as I'm concerned, the season was over a long time ago. Even a 2009 esque turnaround won't stop Red Bull now.

Years
    Agreed with you Nuke. Get to see Di Resta and he is currently 7th.

Hamilton is really going for it. He just went off the track due to too much speed going into the corner and locking up. Well, he is lucky because where he run off use to be a gravel pit! Only changed last year.​

Ivysaur

Years
    "We will never use team orders. Our philosophy is, 'let our drivers race'. People don't want to see fixed races. We support equality and giving our drivers a fair chance at it". Sure Horner, sure.

Also, from the "Mantain your position Mark" thread in Autosport:

Austria 2001: Schumacher was only two points ahead of Coulthard had he not been let past.
    Austria 2002: Schumacher led by 22 points if not being let past (55 by today's system)

Germany 2010: Alonso was Ferrari's only hope, would be 41 points behind if not let past.
    Britain 2011: Vettel would be 74 points ahead if his closest rival in the championship had been allowed to pass.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Sucks for Di Resta and Button that the pit crew had a mishap cost both of them valuable points. And what a lost race for 4 there on the final few turns. And I really hate these team orders. So what if Vettel comes in third he still has a commanding lead. Webber was clearly the faster driver toward the end. But it didn't help Vettel that the crew screwed up on his last pit stop as well. Good race but I would have preferred Hamilton to run out of gas or at least finished 5th.

Years
    Damn Hamilton! He can't go one race without bumping into someone. I may be completely biased (in fact I am) but I think he should have gave Massa his place back.

Good to see Alonso win but it will have little effect on Vettel's inevitable title win.

This will probably be the last straw for Webber, I doubt he'll be at RBR next season.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Your not bias. Heck this is the second time this year the he has ran into Massa, since he already ran into him at Monaco. Hamilton is just a really aggressive driver sometimes too aggressive which is why I don't like him. They may over turn the Grid positions and award Massa 4th, but I kind of doubt it.

And I have no doubt in my mind Vettel has got it with an 80 point margin between him and Webber.

Also if Webber leaves then who would replace him and where would he go? I would think he would be apart of a team that at least competes week in and week out like Ferrai, McLaren, or even Mercedes and Renault. I can't see him on any other team then those four if he is not in Red Bull as for who that could have replace him Rosberg would probably be a good candidate even though he has yet to have a win. I don't know if they would want a GP2 driver to take his position of if there is any really "outstanding" GP2 drivers out their anyways. I don't see Jenson leaving McLaren for Red Bull as far as I can tell him and Lewis have a good realationship compared to some of the other duos. Even if Webber went to Ferrai and McLarden they would still favor Alonso and Hamilton above him.

Ivysaur

Years
    If Webber leaves, they have three replacements sitting around- two in Toro Rosso (Italian for, guess what, 'Red Bull') and Ricciardo in Hispania (not likely since he barely had one race, but that's more than any GP2 rookie can say).

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I'd definitely prefer Daniel Ricciardo over Algersurai or Buemi. I guess time will tell what happens. Either way if Webber leaves he will be a hot commodity.

Years
    Oh dear...
    Red Bull driver Mark Webber has spoken of his frustration after being ordered not to overtake team-mate Sebastian Vettel in the closing stages of the British Grand Prix.

Because we didn't see this one coming...​

Years
    Really they only need a driver to keep the car up the grid while maintaining Vettel as their number one.

If they look from their own youngsters then Alguersuari could probably do it.

If they look elsewhere then Kubica & Kobayashi could certainly do well for a front-running team.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Was hoping that Ricciardo would have driven better there as he probably has driven there heaps, guess it's just the terrible HRT. Maybe have Buemi and Vettel at Red Bull. Read something about Hamilton (though he cannot go without a race where he doesn't hit someone) being a chance at Red Bull, speaking to Horner about it. Would love to see Webber go to another team though. It's so cringeworthy watching them praise their "Golden Child" and Webber getting no praise.

Last edited:

Shelmet

Spiraling Disastertastrophe
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    It's a shame that Button retired - it looked like he was on for a podium for sure. With Ferrari obviously favouring Alonso in pretty much everything the team does, and the possibility that Massa isn't happy with them (which I really wouldn't be, if I was him), does anybody see him moving to another team? If Ferrari get their act together, and the situation at Red Bull continues like this, Webber moving to them could be a possibility, right?

I think the whole story about Hamilton being linked to a spot at Red Bull is quite exciting. If this actually happened, and the team keep up their pace from the past couple of years now, then Hamilton would definitely have a shot at the title again - he's a much better driver than Vettel, in my opinion. They're both prone to mistakes - both of them being pretty damn violent and reckless when it comes to overtaking - but it could make for an interesting in-team battle.

Even though team orders aren't banned for this year, the message given to Webber near the end of the race disgusts me. It wasn't even a fair thing to ask of him - he was obviously quicker, and what would be the consequence if he did overtake Vettel? He'd lose a few points of his massive advantage? Big deal - this year's pretty much over already.

tl;dr - Red Bull suck.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I don't see why Massa would willing move when his best shot at a title would be with Ferrai. And this isn't anything new since he was ordered aside last year in Austria Circuit if I remember correctly.

I really don't see how going from McLaren to Red Bull would exponentially increase his chances at a title. Especially considering you said tl;dr Red Bull sucks(unless you mean the drink which does). 110 point gap says otherwise.

Team orders would happen regardless if they were banned or not. They can just make up excuses for it like conserve gas, your breaks aren't working right, handle your tires better, or whatever else that want to use. They will find a way around it one way or another. As for this race Team orders were definitely unnecessary, considering the distance Vettel has between himself and the next driver(who happens to be Webber) is quite a bit I don't see what they have to worry about.

Shelmet

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    It was Germany, not Austria. I agree with the fact that his best chance at a title is with Ferrari, and he'd know that, but drivers have been known to suddenly change teams before because they're favouring another driver over them (or they think they are *cough*Alonso*cough*). A few months ago, there was a small news atory about Ferrari saying they're not sure if they should keep Massa or not. I'm just saying that, if he does move, then Webber going there could be a possibility.

Going from McLaren, a team currently struggling, to Red Bull, a team that, at the moment, is semi-unstoppable, wouldn't increase his chances of a title? That's kinda like saying that Trulli moving from Lotus to a team like Mercedes wouldn't increase his chances of getting any points - it's kinda obvious that they would. I meant "Red Bull sucks" as in functioning as a "happy" team. They are good, and they have an amazing car, but they just don't seem to work as well together as a team like McLaren (where everybody likes everybody, and everybody would protect everybody else).

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Webber does keep on bringing up how he would "like to drive a ferrari". Though I cannot see it happening for him. There were some talks with Renault though and they being happy if he went there.

Would be alright to see Hamilton driving for Red Bull (then you can have a golden child and a spoilt brat on the same team). I can't see Hamilton leaving McLaren for at least awhile. Another driver who I wouldn't mind seeing at another team is Kobayashi, he looks like he has potential but maybe with another team?

Shelmet

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    Yeah, I can see why Renault would be looking for another driver. Heidfeld's good, but... not that good. It's a shame Kubica had that accident before the season began - with the way Renault were looking in the first few races, he might even have been able to grab a win. I mean, if Petrov and Heidfeld could get podiums, then I'd imagine Vettel would have been terrified if Kubica was driving.

Heh, Kobayashi is one of my favourite drivers. He can certainly do some incredible stuff in that Sauber, which is by no means a great car, so it wouldn't come as a surprise if a few teams have their eye on him. Renault's rear grip + Kobayashi = potential for fun.

Back