• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: [FR] Sideways Stairs

Years
Hi spherical, sorry for asking this late, but II recently got into rom hacking and I'm struggling a lot with asm routines...
ok so, I did as you said, I found a free offset and inserted it, and checked that the six behaviour bytes are free, and they are, so I ran the process to compile the .bin file, and the file was created, but it's completely blank, so I checked the process with the cmd app, and I noticed that a lot of error occured while creating the .bin file.
Is this a common problem? Is it possible to easily fix it? I would send here the link to a screenshot but apparently I haven't made enough posts for that. TIA :)

Years
Hi spherical, sorry for asking this late, but II recently got into rom hacking and I'm struggling a lot with asm routines...
ok so, I did as you said, I found a free offset and inserted it, and checked that the six behaviour bytes are free, and they are, so I ran the process to compile the .bin file, and the file was created, but it's completely blank, so I checked the process with the cmd app, and I noticed that a lot of error occured while creating the .bin file.
Is this a common problem? Is it possible to easily fix it? I would send here the link to a screenshot but apparently I haven't made enough posts for that. TIA :)

You can use this patch [link removed] to insert it fully in the game (the offset used is 0xFFF3C0).

Last edited:
Years
You can use this patch to insert it fully in the game (the offset used is 0xFFF3C0). I do not remember where I got it, but I have it for some reason. Maybe I made it? Not sure, though...

Thank you, I'll try it in a few seconds. Does it follow the same principle behind the original routine? should I assign the bytes the same way?

Years
Thank you, I'll try it in a few seconds. Does it follow the same principle behind the original routine? should I assign the bytes the same way?

No need. The patch does it all. Behavior bytes used are B0 - B5. This patch does not include the tiles for Sideways Stairs.

Years
No need. The patch does it all. Behavior bytes used are B0 - B5. This patch does not include the tiles for Sideways Stairs.

sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough lol, when I create the stair in advance map, Do I have to place the tiles the same way spherical showed in the picture of the original post?

Years
sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough lol, when I create the stair in advance map, Do I have to place the tiles the same way spherical showed in the picture of the original post?

Yes. Same goes for the behavior bytes. Same goes for the movement permissions.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 17, 2023
I'm new to rom hacking and don't exactly understand what a lot of the instructions mean. Is there one that goes more in depth, or a patch for it? I found a patch on Youtube. It says I could use any Fire red rom base, so I was using this one [ https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=409672&highlight=firered+download ] and after applying the patch, I was unable to open it on anything. When I open it on AdvanceMap it said something about being unable to read bytes behind end of file.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 5, 2022
Guys, I am still noob to this hacking stuff. So, my duobts are how to find a word-aligned address in your ROM with xC38 bytes of free space.
and the contiguous set of six, unused behaviour bytes. and please if possible tell me about the step two a little for simplified for a begginner who only know
about some basic on advance map and copy paste code on xse. please help me.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 5, 2022
I'm new to rom hacking and don't exactly understand what a lot of the instructions mean. Is there one that goes more in depth, or a patch for it? I found a patch on Youtube. It says I could use any Fire red rom base, so I was using this one [ https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=409672&highlight=firered+download ] and after applying the patch, I was unable to open it on anything. When I open it on AdvanceMap it said something about being unable to read bytes behind end of file.

i think i saw side way stair in the main feature in the ultimate base. check it out

Years
  • Age 17
  • Seen Dec 24, 2023

That's the Con of Patches since it is stored on an offset that might conflict with your game. Tbh the only good thing about it is make your life easier............

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 22, 2021
So sorry I am kinda new to this, but when you say to paste the data in step 2 you don't mean paste and overwrite, but just paste right?

Mahian23

Behold my Supreme Power!
Years
My rom crashes while going into a battle (Both Trainer and Wild) after using this......... Help!
But the Stairs works well though

Last edited:

Mahian23

Behold my Supreme Power!
Years
This is a patch that will add the sideway stairs function to your rom.It is based on Spherical Ice's Sideway Stairs Research

Note:This patch only adds The Sideway stairs function in the game.You still have to add the tiles manually.

For more info,Refer to the "Readme.txt" file included in the download.

Note:The used offsets are mentioned in "Readme.txt" as well.

Credits:
Spherical Ice - For this awesome research.

Attachments

• Sideway Stairs.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 24
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Downloaded this through Leon's rom base ages ago, just had to get around to mapping my first new tiles today and went to look this up as a reference and thought it was crazy that this innovation was 6 years old! I guess that's just what's so cool about Gen 3 hacking.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I just noticed all the examples you show are at least 2 tiles tall, I've been attempting to make a small staircase but struggle with the player being able to move up and down while on it. I could just be doing something wrong, to be sure, is it actually possible to make single tile tall stairs or must they at least have 2 tiles of vertical clearance to work properly?

Ah, I figured it out! Since the movement permissions themselves would let players erroneously move up/down the 1 tile tall stairs, I just had to set the adjoining tiles' behavior bytes to block player upwards/downwards. Now it works just right!

Last edited:
Back