• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Frozen References in Pokemon X and Y!

Years
  • So, I have many times checked the Internet, even now, But, Nobody here seems to get a pattern of Alludes that actually constitute to a Pop Culture Reference that seems nobody actually thought about for the most part ever since Pokemon X/Y came out.

Well, we do know that you battle painters in-game named after the famous painters Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael that all have squirtles which is actually a Pop Culture Reference to the fact that the TMNT are named after those exact famous painters, but thats another story.

What I'm trying to get to you guys is that Starting in Santalune Forest, you Encounter a Lass-Class Trainer named Anna(Sound Familiar)?

When you are first challenged by her, she says "You are in for a Shock!"

Notice how at the end of the battle, she embarrassingly says "Eeep! I was the one who got shocked!"?

Also, on Route 22, You encounter who appears to be related to the former trainer, hence her name Lass Elsa, When encountered she'll say "I care less about battling than just showing off my awesome Pokemon to everyone!" you can also notice that when the battle ends, She says "Oh no! Fletchling! Are you OK? Its All My Fault! I'm so sorry!"

Surprisingly enough, you guys may not know that these actually seem to be Pop Culture References to the Disney Movie Frozen, in Retrospect to the two trainers I mentioned earlier. As said via their dialogue, It is easy to point out not only who they're named after, but what personalities they share as well. It appears that at the beginning of the battle, for those of you who might not know, The Protagonist of the film, Anna, likes to surprise others, like is said in Lass Anna's Dialogue I mentioned from earlier. Also, at the end of the battle, Lass Anna References her as well as she seems to be as clumsy as her as also mentioned in the former mentioned Dialogue. Although Lass Elsa encounters you with Dialogue unrelated to the character from the same film even though her name references just that, her end of battle Dialogue clearly references Elsa having to see what she has done wrong during the Film.

The Pop Culture References are easier to see once you reach Snowbelle city, however, as the entrance sign states "They say the cold air flowing from the Pokémon Gym is responsible for this city's frozen state."

This is easily better to see when you enter Snowbelle Gym.
    As you can see, when you enter the Gym, You enter a building which appears to have been frozen over, much like Elsa's Ice Castle. Oddly enough, there's no Info In-game which tells of the History of how the City became Snowy for Eternity, How the Gym got Frozen over, or who/what caused this to occur.

So there you have it. This is just a few Pop Culture References that it seems most of the Interwebs and even you guys didn't even see in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. This was only Possible after Playing Pokemon Y and Researching Snowbelle City and Its Gym. Its because of these Pop Culture References that I now consider Kalos to be one of my most favorite Regions in Pokemon History and also consider Snowbelle City to be my favorite Pokemon City. It was so cool to find out about these as Anna's one of my favorite Fictional Characters!

Has anybody found this out, or is Plain Surprised after Reading this? Comments and Discussion are accepted!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I...highly doubt this, unfortunately. Cute theory, but X and Y came out October 2013, and Frozen came out at the end of November. Also, saying either of those quotes relates to their personalities is a huuuuge stretch. An ice gym being frozen is not a reference to Frozen; it's a reference to ice.

Years
  • I understand this, but Game Freak has put in references to stuff like this before they end up becoming well known, like how in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 they had a rocker named Anna who was clearly named after the Actress/Singer Anna Kendrick, and that was even before Pitch Perfect Released! Like Black 2 and White 2 before it, I have a feeling Game Freak put those references in the game at least just a month before Frozen released.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I understand this, but Game Freak has put in references to stuff like this before they end up becoming well known, like how in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 they had a rocker named Anna who was clearly named after the Actress/Singer Anna Kendrick, and that was even before Pitch Perfect Released! Like Black 2 and White 2 before it, I have a feeling Game Freak put those references in the game at least just a month before Frozen released.

Uh, pretty sure that's not a real reference either.

It's not that it happened before it's well known. When this game was in development, Frozen did not exist. There was nothing to know about. There is no way they could have done it, as there was no movie to reference. Keep in mind that games are developed long before release, so we're talking about more than a month's difference here.

Years
  • BTW, there seriously is evidence to support this so called theory!
    Remember the description of Snowbelle City? It does state, "They say the cold air flowing from the Pokémon Gym is responsible for this city's frozen state.".

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    For it to constitute as a reference, the game would have had to make an explicit mentioning "After" the reference source was already public knowledge. The fact that Disney's Frozen releases after Pokemon XY and Pitch Perfect came out after Pokemon Black/White means that these are nothing more than coincidences pulled by seeing only what you want to see.

Mentally you are forcing a connection that doesn't exist.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Is that so? If so, I guess you guys don't understand.

We're fully aware of the coincidence that is taking place, but they cannot reference what didn't exist at the time. Plus, the reference to the characters is obscure at best anyway, and if GameFreak were to reference these two characters, don't you think they'd have given them Pokemon that, you know, actually suit their characters?

Years
  • I have to agree with the others. You're seeing what you want to see.
    Also, almost all Ice Gyms in the franchise is frozen. I guess, Pryce's, Brycen's and Candice's gyms are references too?
    The Pokemon games were developed and shipped to stores way before the release date of the game. Remember when people started playing the games early and leaked footage and images?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Maybe it was Frozen that took Pokémon X and Y versions as their references instead? I doubt it would be Pokémon making reference from Disney's Frozen. Here's a reminder to you about Frozen's premiere dates November 19, 2013 (El Capitan Theatre), November 27, 2013 (United States) and the initial pair of Gen VI games were release in October 12, 2013, which is about a month earlier than Frozen's debut.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Something I'll add to the argument against the idea of X/Y having Frozen references: Pokemon is made by Japanese companies. They are far more likely to make references to things from Japanese culture than American culture. Like the whole Japanese Nugget joke.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2015
    Just so you know Anna and Elsa are kind of normal French names that I saw somewhere iirc, but like most others said Frozen did come out after, although it is fun to think that. :)

Years
  • Just checked this out again, and thought it would be of great help to research the past 3 regions that had an Ice Type gym to see if they maybe had somehow sort of a similar purpose to this gym. nevertheless, only Snowbelle gym had a rumored purpose beyond just being an Ice Type Gym. Like I said, the description for Snowbelle gym contained within the In-Game Description for Snowbelle City states something about a piece of In-game speculation that the citizens of Snowbelle must of had that their city was the only snowy city in Kalos possibly because of the cold air flowing from the gym, which speculates that the Snowbelle gym might share a similar purpose to the Ice Castle.

Years
  • Didn't you forget that X/Y is one of the first 2 Pokemon games to break away from Japanese Culture? The whole game is filled with european culture references! from professor Sycamore and others speaking french, to Lumiose city being based off of Paris, France, The Prism Tower being based of of the famous Eiffel Tower to Snowbelle City being based off of Grenoble and so on. Who knows? Maybe the speculation about the cold air flowing from the gym contained within the description for Snowbelle City In-Game is a European Culture reference? Frozen is based off of a German story.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Didn't you forget that X/Y is one of the first 2 Pokemon games to break away from Japanese Culture? The whole game is filled with european culture references! from professor Sycamore and others speaking french, to Lumiose city being based off of Paris, France, The Prism Tower being based of of the famous Eiffel Tower to Snowbelle City being based off of Grenoble and so on. Who knows? Maybe the speculation about the cold air flowing from the gym contained within the description for Snowbelle City In-Game is a European Culture reference? Frozen is based off of a German story.

You're reeeeeeally stretching here.

It's time for you to just let it go!!

But in all serious, you are trying to force connections.
    It's like saying Youngster Joey from GSC is referencing Joey Wheeler from Yu-Gi-Oh. :l

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • Classic My Little Pony syndrome. AKA: you like something so much, you try to make it a part of everything else. There's no relation in any way, since the game was developed and most likely shipped before Frozen even had it's first critic screening.

The "references" are just coincidences.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Didn't you forget that X/Y is one of the first 2 Pokemon games to break away from Japanese Culture? The whole game is filled with european culture references! from professor Sycamore and others speaking french, to Lumiose city being based off of Paris, France, The Prism Tower being based of of the famous Eiffel Tower to Snowbelle City being based off of Grenoble and so on. Who knows? Maybe the speculation about the cold air flowing from the gym contained within the description for Snowbelle City In-Game is a European Culture reference? Frozen is based off of a German story.

Also, Unova was based off america iirc.
    So X/Y isn't the first out-of-japan pokemon.

Also, there's many cities than are always snow covered, Snow Point City, for one.
    I'm sure there's other places too.

There's doesn't need to be some lore, or reason, it's just a change of terrain.
    Which is logical for Kalos, since it does the whole Coastal/Central/Mountain thing.

Back