• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gadsden Flag is Racial Harassment?

Years
    Has banning symbols really accomplished anything? Banning objects and items seems to have the opposite (Prohibition of Alcohol) or no discernible effect (1994 AWB). Why are we pandering to these individuals? and most importantly why are these claims not laughed out of court? You don't have a right not to be offended. The fact that hate groups like the KKK and The New Black Panther Party can rally and spew their virtol is due to a thing called the 1st amendment. This issue like it or not is covered under that right.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Has banning symbols really accomplished anything? Banning objects and items seems to have the opposite (Prohibition of Alcohol) or no discernible effect (1994 AWB). Why are we pandering to these individuals? and most importantly why are these claims not laughed out of court? You don't have a right not to be offended. The fact that hate groups like the KKK and The New Black Panther Party can rally and spew their virtol is due to a thing called the 1st amendment. This issue like it or not is covered under that right.

In the USA you're (Mostly, i'm pretty sure some individual states do have anti-hate speech laws) right, most other western countries however have provisions to ensure hate speech isn't covered by free speech laws and as such don't have organisations like the ones listed.

Why shouldn't we "pander" to things like this though if there's a legitimate symbol in play though? Should we pretend icons like the swastika and confederate flag don't carry negative/hateful overtones?

Years
    Gadsen Flag = Freedom from Brits. That is what the flag means to Americans. That is what it has meant for over two hundred years. When you consider the symbolic meaning of something, you have to consider the entire context. If I attack the American embassy and murder a number of Americans under the Canadian flag, that doesn't make the Canadian flag offensive to Americans because it's an incident underneath a backdrop of historic symbolic meaning.

Complainant stated that he found the cap to be racially offensive to African Americans because the flag was designed by Christopher Gadsden, a "slave trader & owner of slaves."

By that logic, the Constitution of the United States should be racially offensive to African Americans, since it was drafted in part by slaveholders - wait, maybe then it's only partially racially offensive then.

Years
    In the USA you're (Mostly, i'm pretty sure some individual states do have anti-hate speech laws) right, most other western countries however have provisions to ensure hate speech isn't covered by free speech laws and as such don't have organisations like the ones listed.

Why shouldn't we "pander" to things like this though if there's a legitimate symbol in play though? Should we pretend icons like the swastika and confederate flag don't carry negative/hateful overtones?
    The meaning behind symbols can and do change for example the swastika was at one time a symbol for happiness or peace until it became a symbol of Nazism. and the Confederate Flag was a battle flag for a Northern Virginia formation. The ambiguity of hate speech laws make them dangerous due to the ambiguity of language and symbolism itself.
    I do not support government action based on such shaky legal grounds due the fertile ground for abuse. If an idea cannot compete in the free marketplace of ideas such as the ones presented by the KKK and BLM under such laws like we have in the U.S. the idea is largely rejected until better evidence for it is presented. As I have stated You Do Not Have a Right to Not Be Offended. The day that becomes a right is the day free speech dies.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    The meaning behind symbols can and do change for example the swastika was at one time a symbol for happiness or peace until it became a symbol of Nazism. and the Confederate Flag was a battle flag for a Northern Virginia formation.

Yes, that is true? Symbols don't just form out of thin air with the negative meaning behind them already there, they're twisted and used in such a way to create that. How does that de-legitimise their current meaning? Are you saying we shouldn't take offensive/negatively charged material as being that because at any time it could have the meaning overridden by something postiive? Because that's... not really how things work?

The ambiguity of hate speech laws make them dangerous due to the ambiguity of language and symbolism itself.
    Not particularly, they're lined out very clearly in countries that do have them and are only ""dangerous"" to people who are, quite frankly, just bigoted or whatever. "Why can't i use racially charged insults to demean people?" "Why can't demean and deride people for their secuality or religion? Isnt this a FREE country?!" is an undefend-able stance and not really anything worth debating.

I do not support government action based on such shaky legal grounds due the fertile ground for abuse.
    I'd like to have an example of this abuse sort of thing

If an idea cannot compete in the free marketplace of ideas such as the ones presented by the KKK and BLM under such laws like we have in the U.S. the idea is largely rejected until better evidence for it is presented.

The idea of a "free marketplace of ideas" relies heavily on the concept that the truth is valued above all else on a level playingfield. This is simply not true. Mainstay public opinion is hardly based on what's the most factual idea around and is in fact based entirely on what's popular. This is... completely unrelated to the concept of offensive language, symbols and stereotypes though so i'm not sure why you brought it up?

The idea that people won't say racist things because they're not true is baffling to me, considering the current political situation in the US right now being the antithesis of that

As I have stated You Do Not Have a Right to Not Be Offended. The day that becomes a right is the day free speech dies.

Well, free speech seems to be dead in most of the western world and we're all fine thusfar? That American-centric view of "free speech" you have just doesn't hold up with the rest of the world.

A better question, really, is Why Do You Think You Deserve To Have The Right To Offend People? what possible positive things come of being bigoted or just a straight up jerk? How does being a bad person in that way contribute to society in any way?

How does being divisive for no real reason other than a self entailed idea that you should be able to, help a unified society? What purpose does it serve?

Years
    Yes, that is true? Symbols don't just form out of thin air with the negative meaning behind them already there, they're twisted and used in such a way to create that. How does that de-legitimise their current meaning? Are you saying we shouldn't take offensive/negatively charged material as being that because at any time it could have the meaning overridden by something postiive? Because that's... not really how things work?

Not particularly, they're lined out very clearly in countries that do have them and are only ""dangerous"" to people who are, quite frankly, just bigoted or whatever. "Why can't i use racially charged insults to demean people?" "Why can't demean and deride people for their secuality or religion? Isnt this a FREE country?!" is an undefend-able stance and not really anything worth debating.

I'd like to have an example of this abuse sort of thing

The idea of a "free marketplace of ideas" relies heavily on the concept that the truth is valued above all else on a level playingfield. This is simply not true. Mainstay public opinion is hardly based on what's the most factual idea around and is in fact based entirely on what's popular. This is... completely unrelated to the concept of offensive language, symbols and stereotypes though so i'm not sure why you brought it up?

The idea that people won't say racist things because they're not true is baffling to me, considering the current political situation in the US right now being the antithesis of that

Well, free speech seems to be dead in most of the western world and we're all fine thusfar? That American-centric view of "free speech" you have just doesn't hold up with the rest of the world.

A better question, really, is Why Do You Think You Deserve To Have The Right To Offend People? what possible positive things come of being bigoted or just a straight up jerk? How does being a bad person in that way contribute to society in any way?

How does being divisive for no real reason other than a self entailed idea that you should be able to, help a unified society? What purpose does it serve?

"Symbols don't just form out of thin air with the negative meaning behind them already there, they're twisted and used in such a way to create that. How does that de-legitimise their current meaning? Are you saying we shouldn't take offensive/negatively charged material as being that because at any time it could have the meaning overridden by something postiive? Because that's... not really how things work"

Not particularly, they're lined out very clearly in countries that do have them and are only ""dangerous"" to people who are, quite frankly, just bigoted or whatever. "Why can't i use racially charged insults to demean people?" "Why can't demean and deride people for their secuality or religion? Isnt this a FREE country?!" is an undefend-able stance and not really anything worth debating."

Symbols again by their very nature are ambiguous and thus can numerous different meanings and by banning these things you marginalize people that may have differing opinions. While it may sound good, it serves to do precisely what real bigots do; divide and marginalize people or ideology's that they don't agree with making you just as bad. What makes it worse is you wish to impose these ideals using government force.

"The idea of a "free marketplace of ideas" relies heavily on the concept that the truth is valued above all else on a level playingfield. This is simply not true. Mainstay public opinion is hardly based on what's the most factual idea around and is in fact based entirely on what's popular. This is... completely unrelated to the concept of offensive language, symbols and stereotypes though so i'm not sure why you brought it up?"

The Free Marketplace of Ideas concept came up due to my believes that all ideas however ridiculous should never be censored. This believe stems from my knowledge of history of bodies of government or groups of people trying to stifle ideals due to them being unpopular and what it did to innovation and the advancement of our species. All ideas should be looked at and should be allowed to be stated. While it's true that may cause a person perceived harm it may also enlighten and enrich. Speech for that reason alone should never be censored or under threat of censorship.

"The idea that people won't say racist things because they're not true is baffling to me, considering the current political situation in the US right now being the antithesis of that"

The idea that you think censorship will make it stop is also quite mind boggling considering it hasn't.

"Well, free speech seems to be dead in most of the western world and we're all fine thusfar? That American-centric view of "free speech" you have just doesn't hold up with the rest of the world."

That mighty bigoted speech there. Free speech in the U.S. means that speech is unhindered by government intervention.

"A better question, really, is Why Do You Think You Deserve To Have The Right To Offend People? what possible positive things come of being bigoted or just a straight up jerk? How does being a bad person in that way contribute to society in any way?"

"Bad person" and "Jerk" Nice attempt at marginalization and name calling. I must be doing something right. It doesn't, just as feelings and opinions don't either but won't call for their banning either just because I don't like them.

"How does being divisive for no real reason other than a self entailed idea that you should be able to, help a unified society? What purpose does it serve?"

Thank you for saying "Unified Society". So you want a Utopia? Now who's being unrealistic! People are all different and unique. Thus everyone is going be offended by different things and it's unrealistic and bigoted to expect everyone to conform to everyone's sensibilities especially when it comes to ideas.

The concept of censorship of any form of speech for it's content or it's potential to harm is dangerously hypocritical because it ultimately abides by the idea that one persons rights matter less due to their ideas. It's the antithesis of freedom.

Back