• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Freak running out of ideas?

StΩrmyStory

Novice Pokemon ROM hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2014
    Lots of people seem to think so, and I can see their reasoning. However! I think that Game Freak is getting MORE creative with their designs. A good Pokemon is not redrawing a dragon to fit the Pokemon art style, slapping an accent on it and calling it a day.
    What do you think?

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
    I agree, I think people just need to stop complaining. Honestly the most nostalgia for Pokemon is when you first start, so I doubt kids will be like "Oh wait, there were regions before the one I started with, this is so unoriginal for me"

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I don't think they're out of idea. There's millions of things that can still be made into Pokemon. I know some people may look at certain Pokemon such as Klefki, Vaniliite, Honedge and Trubbish and say "really a pair of keys, an ice cream cone, a sword and a bag garbage? None of those are original at all!! They're all objects and objects can't be Pokemon!" So I guess Magnemite, a magnet Pokemon is okay and so is Muk and Grimmer which are piles of slime , the floating rock Geodude, and the exploding Pokeball , Voltorb are okay? I think they're not very creative either. Every generation has had it's bad designs in my opinion. I mean some of the newer Pokemon are really original. I mean there's a giant flying robot suit of armor, a hydra, a sun deity moth, a luchador hawk, a blue dragon sea slug, a pumpkin that has 3 different sizes, a poodle which you can trim it's fur into different patterns, a robot from space, and a fairy/nymph that carries a flower which it uses to attack. The origins of some people are more creative than their designs/what they're based on. Most of the time people are just too clouded by nostalgia or just too close-minded to realize they're more creative new Pokemon than they think.

StΩrmyStory

Novice Pokemon ROM hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2014
    I concur, the problem is either nostalgia, ignorance, or fear of diversity. Gen 1 had just one artist and now they have 10 with different ideas. Maybe that could be a cause?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Oh good, I was worried for a sec when seeing the thread title that you (the thread creator) was actually going to ask that same tired question again, as opposed to asking why people do so or making it a more open question than a statement.

As to why though - well, there's not just one reason. As said above, some people dislike change, or cling too much to childhood. Or outgrew the series so it just doesn't have the appeal to them as it once did, so they feel it may be just because the Pokemon designs aren't as good as before, hence why they do not like them as much.
    And as said too:
    Every generation has had it's bad designs in my opinion.
    You have hits and misses each gen. Not everyone likes Charizard, not everyone hates Trubbish.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I don't think they're running out of ideas. I just think they need to EXPAND more. Not even for Pokemon - but if you compare all the newer regions to the old ones, they are definitely... how do I put this.. blander? Like, Hoenn had huge oceans and forests and Sinnoh had a massive mountain, Johto had a mix of small towns/large ones and it had a huge lake. Unova and Kalos (I'm ignoring Kanto since it was the first) had all of these things, but they didn't make the regions really stand out that much. the other three region's features were a part of the region's culture, where in the previous two regions they were just "obligatory ocean-crossing/forest/spooky place part" (the snowy part in Kalos wasn't even natural, it was only because of the Abomasnow that lived in the area. So yeah - obligatory snowy part).

Who says that the first Route needs to have normal types? Why do we need a bug-filled forest after the first town? Why are dragon types exclusive to last gym/Elite Four? What happened to the long routes where you actually felt you wouldn't make it all the way through? Come on, Gamefreak, put some more diversity in these games.

Outlier

I concur, the problem is either nostalgia, ignorance, or fear of diversity. Gen 1 had just one artist and now they have 10 with different ideas. Maybe that could be a cause?

This is the mentality of a lot of people sadly, not just Pokemon fans but fans of a lot of popular long running franchises. It seems you can't even criticize anything anymore without being dismissed by someone or being lumped up in some lazy generalization. You know people can think objectively and still have problems with the new games without being too nostalgic, ignorant or afraid of diversity as you put it. Imagine every if every time you said something positive about X & Y you were called a fanboy or something like that. It's so annoying.

I'm having a blast with the new games. X & Y rekindled some of my love for the series that just hasn't been there for a long time. A lot of that has to do with the amazing graphics and the beautiful region of Kalos that gamefreak created. I also love the music in this game. That being said I have my problems with X & Y. It's too easy even by the standards of a Pokemon game. Also in terms of Pokemon designs, this generation is by far the worst in my opinion. I've never disliked the majority of a whole gen before this one. I could barely make a full party out of the new Pokemon I like from this gen.

Now none of that prevents you from liking the new Pokemon. Generalizing/Dismissing people who don't like the new Pokemon just proves you can't handle people with different opinions to yours.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    The sad thing is that when GF does something which almost everyone sees as 'out of the box' people claim "they changed it now it sucks" so even if they try to be "more creative" some aren't pleased...
    I don't think they're running out of ideas...though I am looking forward to what the next evil team will be up to...

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Gamefreak have been "running out of ideas" since the 3rd gen.

It's pretty funny considering that's when the games really started to blossom and offer more to players. If anything they have more ideas now then ever.

Also its not like gamefreak is just one person working in a room, they have a large staff and many designers. It would be difficult to run out of ideas if enough effort and care is put in. Not to mention if they think their designs are ever becoming stale they could employ some new designers to assist them.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Given that this is more based on Pokémon designs, rather than the games alone (this affects the merchandise, anime, manga, and so on also!), I'm going to ship this one over to Pokémon General. Hopefully Brendino & Adventure don't mind too much!

To answer the topic at hand however, I was reading an interview with Satoshi Tajiri recently. He stated that hundreds of designs got put forward for Pokémon X&Y, but so many of them were turned down. So I don't think that they're running out of ideas, but their concepts (or at least the ones that get through) are a lot more abstract. They're certainly getting more creative, and less basic. I think people struggle with the fact that because their ideas have to be based on more "exotic" creatures and so forth, that compared to Generation 1, Pokémon are becoming less familiar for us. Whereas in the beginning we had Pokémon based on cats and dogs (Meowth, Growlithe), The Pokémon Company don't want to continue to base Pokémon on animals that have already been used as references. This led to them looking outside the box and basing things on more mythical creatures, for example if you look at Yveltal, it's most likely based on a Hræsvelgr, but it would be boring if we had yet another dog styled Pokémon, right? Their ideas are not running out, as I say, but they're certainly getting more abstruse and diverse.

✎ BlueFoxCreations

Developing Pokémon Alibi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    I agree with Stranger, most people are used to the old, simple designs if they've been playing the series for a long time now, this means, that, while Gamefreak has been introducing more differences in the Pokémon over the generations and people have been getting used to it, newer players hop along and state GameFreak is running out of ideas. Maybe if we do have an insight into GameFreak, then we'd know what's really going on, like that interview.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The sad thing is that when GF does something which almost everyone sees as 'out of the box' people claim "they changed it now it sucks" so even if they try to be "more creative" some aren't pleased...
    I don't think they're running out of ideas...though I am looking forward to what the next evil team will be up to...

I agree, its basically a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for Game Freak. There's always gonna be haters, and they're always gonna hate.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    This is the reason why I don't think Nintendo could do a reboot. I personally think a reboot is good direction to go. Not because GameFreak is out of ideas but because the more Pokemon there are the more costly it is to make a new game because you have to create the assets for all of them.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    I've always wanted GameFreak to be taken away from Nintendo. I would love playing a Pokemon game with the graphics of a PS4. They could add so much depth and give an entirely new spin on the basics. I thing the 3DS on the newer games adds a new feel to the series, but I can't help think about playing Pokemon with the graphics of a Call of Duty game, but maybe that's just me.

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
    I've always wanted GameFreak to be taken away from Nintendo. I would love playing a Pokemon game with the graphics of a PS4. They could add so much depth and give an entirely new spin on the basics. I thing the 3DS on the newer games adds a new feel to the series, but I can't help think about playing Pokemon with the graphics of a Call of Duty game, but maybe that's just me.

Call of Duty graphics would be a little scary to me... o_o
    However, I'm sure Game Freak could find other alternatives to work with other systems. I mean, overall they can make beautiful 3D pokemon graphics. The only problem is breaking from the 'easy' way out of creating pokemon games to a more intensive game creation process. I mean the pokemon series is glued to the idea of staying the same with minor changes along the way... but even with those changes it will always be the same. ( Of course, I could've spoken too soon... )

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years

you can run diagonal so they're getting closer

Call of Duty graphics would be a little scary to me... o_o
    However, I'm sure Game Freak could find other alternatives to work with other systems. I mean, overall they can make beautiful 3D pokemon graphics. The only problem is breaking from the 'easy' way out of creating pokemon games to a more intensive game creation process. I mean the pokemon series is glued to the idea of staying the same with minor changes along the way... but even with those changes it will always be the same. ( Of course, I could've spoken too soon... )

screw ps4! they need it 3d on kinect but kinect needs a treadmill so that you can move in the game, get fit while being a real life pokemon trainer! (more thought could be put into this but i'm tired)

Last edited:
    Back