• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Informer's "Sacred Cow BBQ" insults Pokemon

Years
  • Well, GI has always survived on sensationalism. It kind of puts me in mind of the people over at IGN who often write articles on how to "fix a franchise". Just proves that it's easy to criticize, but not easy to do.

They do have SOME point. I mean, Pokemon could be BIGGER than it is now, if they were just willing to scrap some of the worse ideas and focus on the good ones, but I have a feeling Pokemon will be around a lot longer than printed game magazines.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    They are making a completely invalid point out there. I don't see how it is all the same thing over and over. It is true that Pokemon has a preset events, eg. You have to battle gym leaders and all, but aren't there new features each time a new game is released? And who thinks that battling isn't fun? I bet those guys have no idea about competitive battling and how interesting Pokemon battles can be. >_> Simply outrageous.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Lol @ the people who are actually offended by this.

... Really though, it's not that big of a deal. I've seen Game Informer articles saying all sorts of positive things about Pokemon, too. They just happened to be writing an article bashing popular video games, and Pokemon just happens to be a popular video game that's easy to bash. It's not as if they said POKEMON IS RETARDED NOBODY SHOULD PLAY POKEMON LOLOLOL.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Looking at my issue again, I think everyone should just calm down now. The article is edged with sarcasm. Just look at God of War. They gave God of War 3 a perfect 10 review in a previous issue, and look at them now. Sarcasm, my friends. Heck, they even gave Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver an 8 in a previous issue. For "the same game over and over again," that's good.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • However not everyone is subscribed to them, nor does everyone manage to pick up a copy of GI when they're in the book shop, so we don't all know what GI is like. /that's a bit off topic, but just wanted to get that out there before everyone tears each others heads off

FilbertTheFox

.:Welcome to Reality:. (>o.O)>
    Years
  • Bias in my opinion.
    GI is just mad that they don't earn anything near nintendo for Pokemon! :D

Ask the guy that wrote that article to name all the different regions then i'll beleive him. Oh wait he probably can't.

The games are not repeating themselves, there is new regions, new pokemon and new features such as Battle Tower etc.

He has no right to bash one of the most popular games on any system.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't have a subscription either, but I used common sense. GameInformer, being a video game magazine, can't afford to honestly bash such a game which they know has such a wide fanbase, even among their own subscribers. So obviously they must have written a satirical article.
    That's how my common sense worked. There are very few instances where a video game magazine, which still is being printed, can pull off such a stunt.

My common sense was "these other people don't like most Nintendo games these days because it's not manly and there aren't guns involved", but hey, I like yours better.

He has no right to bash one of the most popular games on any system.

I plead the first.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I'd hate to play the Devil's advocate, but they really hit the nail on the head with the "same game over and over" thing. I mean, even Black and White, which was supposed to be hailed as a "restart" of the series, was essentially just "same ****, different Pokemon".

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Hehe look, an ironic article. I was actually informed of this by my boyfriend who was laughing about it. This thread makes me want to read it to see how good of a satirist the person who composed it is~

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I dunno, this might be a case of "having to say harsh things so people will care/listen".
    ...Not that that will work. :/

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I'm sorry but I laughed at this article. It was a complete joke and it was quite a good one. You guys are making a big deal over satire. Now I'm sure Game Informer knows how Jonathan Swift felt when he first published A Modest Proposal.
    And I kinda take offense to the whole comment of they're stupid blah blah blah. It's for 18-24 year olds who sit at home playing COD and Halo over and over again considering I'm in that age range and I still enjoy Pokemon AND Halo.
    Me and my fiance regularly subscribe to Game Informer and satire is quite common in the magazine but they also publish informative articles such as reviews and new gaming hardware. I frequently enjoy the magazine and this is a big fuss over a little paragraph on 1/3 of the page.

Years
  • Gee, I wonder what a Sacred Cow BBQ is going to be about? Is it going to be about roasting actual cows?! 8D

A Sacred Cow Roast is where something well-lauded is intentionally scrutinized, and flaws are purposely pointed out to remind people that it's not perfect. This is what many journalists do for a living. The flaws they've pointed out about Pokemon are valid flaws, but if you look at the other series in the Roast, you'll notice that those are also well-established series that are just as well-lauded as Pokemon, if not moreso, and their valid flaws get called out on as well, thus making it clearly satire for the sake of satire. READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE BEFORE JUDGING IT BASED ON A SINGLE PARAGRAPH, PEOPLE!

Years
  • Well in a sense pokemon is the same game over and over again with little new features but even so I keep buying every generation. I actually bought a DS so I could play the diamond and pearl. so it is doing something right. It dont matter what these people say we here in pokemon communities such as this know what games we like we dont need other people telling us what games we like.

Back