• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gardevoir?

drarixio

Charging up since '89
Years
  • Gardevoir and such?

This Pokémon has intruiged me...How can it be a male when it looks so much like Cinderella at the ball? The Pokédex entries say that it's fiercly loyal to its master. It translates literally, in French, German and Dutch, to Guard see. Really that would mean Guard Duty...
    What do all of you think about this strange Pokemon?
    Also how is that other Pokémon that look female/male are can really have both genders?​

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I agree however there are other Pokemon like this too i.e Gorebyss you would instantly assume that it's female but it can be male too, vice versa with Huntail.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    But that's the case with a lot of Pokémon, only vice versa. Blastoise looks like an all around male but he can (I am even referring to Blastoise as 'he' without realizing it at first) be a female too, so I mean yeah.

And what exactly translates literally? Gardevoir is a 'combination' of two words, it's not an official word so I don't see how that would translate literally to something.

Kyrk

(╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2012
    I guess that's why they created Gallade later on to solve that.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I guess that's why they created Gallade later on to solve that.
    Yeah, they have Gallade, but Gardevoir can still be a male, if you really wanted one for some reason.

Another Pokemon is Bellossom, which could be male or female, but it looks more female. It's definitely the dress.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I don't see a problem with it, there can be males that look feminine, as well as females that look masculine.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
    Years
  • Well, the only explanation I can think of is that Gardevoir are of different species, so even if they look like human females, it doesn't mean that they are female.

Say, if for some reason, female dogs and cats look alike. Does that mean there will be no male cats? No. It's just that all cats, regardless of sex, look like the female members of another species.

And besides, gamefreak have done it a lot. Female Machoke, anyone?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • You mean move it to Pokemon General? lol -claps hands- BAM! Moved.

Also, I see no problem with a male Gardevoir. That's like the equivalent of in person if you say male to female transgenders are weird and don't make sense (thought they don't to some people, and I mean, it's understandable). ...Or maybe I'm thinking on this way too much.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I agree however there are other Pokemon like this too i.e Gorebyss you would instantly assume that it's female but it can be male too, vice versa with Huntail.

The same can be said for Glalie and Froslass (Glalie is the supposedly male counterpart, though there are still females and Froslass is the all-female counterpart)

TwiDragon

Years
  • Well, I think for a lot of non-genderless Pokemon, there should be an option for both genders. With exception of Latias and Latios.

I like the idea more for high gender rates over no gender at all for Pokemon like Lilligant :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Lilligant in mind, when I first saw Petilil, I thought it looked more like a boy. Haha. I wouldn't mind a male Lilligant counterpart though! And male Seed bbys!! :3

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
  • But that's the case with a lot of Pokémon, only vice versa. Blastoise looks like an all around male but he can (I am even referring to Blastoise as 'he' without realizing it at first) be a female too, so I mean yeah.

And what exactly translates literally? Gardevoir is a 'combination' of two words, it's not an official word so I don't see how that would translate literally to something.

Undo the combination of the combination of those 2 words.

TwiDragon

Years
  • I always thought it meant
    Guard + Endeavor
    However, Bulbapedia shows the awnser
    "Name origin
    Gardevoir's name may be a combination of garde (French for "guard") and devoir (French for "duty") or a combination of garder ("to keep") and voir ("to see"). This is reflected in its Pokédex data, which explains how Gardevoir will protect its Trainer even at the cost of its own life. The Pokédex also mentions that Gardevoir has the ability to see into the future — hence voir. Its Japanese name may be taken to mean さあ、ナイト saa, naito ("come, knight") or 'Sir Knight'."

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    • The name Gardevoir is likely derived from the French phrase garde de voir, which can be loosely translated as "guardian woman of sight", or "seeing". Its name can also come from "guardian angel" as it watches over its trainer protecting them.
    • It is possible one of Gardevoir and its kins' origins were beautiful elves, fairies, or pixies. The fact that they seem to live in harmony with nature and have supernatural powers to protect things they care for are shared attributes. Gardevoir and Gallade's "ears" can be compared to the longer ears of their influences. This is in fact that it may be a mixture of human and the elves, fairies, or pixies, but fans are more described it as a human more than fairies.
    • Despite its feminine appearance, a Gardevoir can be male (or female). This isn't the case for gallade which is Male only (as female kirlia can only evolve into Gardevoir).

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    I know what you mean it is weird but you can make the male ones into Gallade instead of Gardevoir too.

Ciz

La la la ♪
    Years
    • The name Gardevoir is likely derived from the French phrase garde de voir, which can be loosely translated as "guardian woman of sight", or "seeing". Its name can also come from "guardian angel" as it watches over its trainer protecting them.
    • It is possible one of Gardevoir and its kins' origins were beautiful elves, fairies, or pixies. The fact that they seem to live in harmony with nature and have supernatural powers to protect things they care for are shared attributes. Gardevoir and Gallade's "ears" can be compared to the longer ears of their influences. This is in fact that it may be a mixture of human and the elves, fairies, or pixies, but fans are more described it as a human more than fairies.
    • Despite its feminine appearance, a Gardevoir can be male (or female). This isn't the case for gallade which is Male only (as female kirlia can only evolve into Gardevoir).

Awesome. Now i know that Gardevoir's a Guardian Angel.

Well what about Kirlia too. For me it looks feminine.

Gallade solved the problem of the gender confusion in Gardevoir.

Years
  • A lot of pokemon can look feminine and masculine. They aren't going to make an entirely different sprite for male and female or a different evolution line when there already is one. I used to have a Male Roserade called Rosie until i realised it was Male. I was expecting Budew to evolve in some giant sick looking tree. Boy was i wrong.

In my opinion, i find Lapras quite feminine, I'm not sure if you can get female Probopass because that is something that will give you nightmares.

Female Machamp is odd because it wears wrestling tights/trunks whatever you want to call them. I don't see many women wearing them.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Pokémon Logic...
    But I think developpers didn't really mind about that, and don't want too many Pokémon with only one genre.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • How exactly does it translate in Dutch to guard see?

I always thought Gardevoir was derived from the French Voir (to see) and I pronounced it as such, because it sounded weird when I tried pronoucning it in English. Voir just seemed right for a Psychic Pokémon. : 0

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
  • How exactly does it translate in Dutch to guard see?

I always thought Gardevoir was derived from the French Voir (to see) and I pronounced it as such, because it sounded weird when I tried pronoucning it in English. Voir just seemed right for a Psychic Pokémon. : 0

As far as I know it's "guard see" in Dutch. I checked it on Google Translate. It is derived from "voir".

Back