• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Gary's Mod (Beta 2 Released!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    Oh, I hope you have no problems finishing this hack, God willing. The concept is really cool and you are introducing nice ideas, like the first Geovanni encounter I LOVED IT. There are a couple things I noticed that u may or not change:

-You changed Water Gun's animation to a recolored animation of Bullet Seed. Why? I'm just curious :p
    -I found the puzzle of the 3rd to be way too cruel for a Pokemon game, although ur game is slightly edgy. And it has a glitch. I failed the puzzle to the point where literally my whole party fainted and Gary did not black out. I don't know what would've happened if I started another battle.
    -Red's sprite on the overworld is still present in some occasions. When u use the Town Map and/checking a Pokemon area on the Dex. Also when fishing and some frames when you use Fly to go anywhere.
    -Why no Bicycle? I completed Beta 2 and I did not get it.

Keep the good work. Greetings from Dominican Republic.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2019
    That's odd, so your pokedex only has pokemon from before you applied the patch? Or it only counts pokemon you've caught after you applied the patch?

There's only Pokémon I caught and saw after the patch... and also Professor Oak's Pokédex rating system didn't work. When you choose Yes it takes you to the exact same menu and if you choose Yes again, it closes the menu. No big deal but slightly irritating... sorry.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Hmm, I understand your frustration. It is a pretty steep level curve once you get there, I just never had trouble with it since I had a flying type pokemon and all the diglett's and 3/4 of dugtrio's attacks were ground type (sucker punch was the only thing I feared). It was an easy place to grind exp for a flying pokemon though haha. I'll put in something so the travel back isn't so painful.

Ahah, I know, I leveled up my Fearow nicely, it's a good place to train, but you only really need two squares to move around in for that. It's not that I had problems defeating the Digs, it's just wearisome navigating and getting lost in the maze and being accosted by the same repetitive encounters over and over. Also at some point I don't want to battle wild Pokemon anymore because it'd make me overleveled and the game too easy, so it's all just running away.

Years
  • and the man happened to me a strange thing: I started over again gary's mod, but near the entrance of the road victory, where there should be coffee to give to the old man, who then will make me go, there's nothing: some help?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2018
    and the man happened to me a strange thing: I started over again gary's mod, but near the entrance of the road victory, where there should be coffee to give to the old man, who then will make me go, there's nothing: some help?

Did you go back to prof. oaks lab after coming to viridian city and talking to a profesor there

Years
  • I use to run this type of idea through my head so much when I was in middle-school. (When Rom Hacks were all I did.) - The idea of playing as Gary was something I always wanted to do, but I wanted to actually flesh a series out of it and play as Silver in Gold/Silver and play as May/Brendan (Which you could, but actually be Professor. Birch's Daughter/Son) - Basically, the fact that you took the time to do this really entices my nature of downloading and playing Rom Hacks early, but I really want to wait until completion as well because I know this will be great ha-ha. The suspense will kill me, but I am sure I will be super excited when it's released!

Keep up the good work Teh Blazer.

Years
  • First off. I must say. I've played the game all the way to the end of this beta. The Safari Zone and I have to give you Max Credit. This game is amazing and I love the idea behind it. The only thing that urks me is that its based off of yellow instead of red and blue but honestly its not a big deal and the idea is still great. I'm so glad you decided to make this and continue to update it. I know it must be crazy difficult sometimes but I just gotta say. Keep up the great work. You're preforming miracles dude. - 10/10

P.S. Looking forward to the next release.

P.P.S. The only bugs i've really noticed was the repel limbo thing where no Pokemon show up. I think it happened when I used repel in Diglets Cave (but was fixed after I patched it). Another was the bridge heading down towards Fuchsia City on route 12 was glitched out and in the beginning if you try and talk to the Pokemon league guard the game freezes. Not sure if that last one still applies since it was before I patched it.

Roger Davis

Goofball
    Years
  • So, tiny bug report. I know there are still some things that need sprite replacements, I'm guessing you already know the Town Map needs one too. An oddity though, is when I scroll over a dungeon and hit A, the image and description of the dungeon isn't there anymore, and even if I've completed it, it stays gray like it's been unexplored. I know this is a minor thing, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention just in case.

I'm up to Vermillion, I absolutely love what you did for the SS Anne as well as the tunnel. I can't wait to see what else it has in store, you've done a good job of keeping it similar to the original games but changing it up enough to be a brand new experience.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2020
    sorry but can i evole my eevee to Leafeon?
    And thank u for the great work, i really enjoy this hack. And i havent seen any bug

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Thank you it's a perfect hack, you're the best, please when the pokemon mega evolve can you put the logo of mega evolution in the next beta?

Haha yeah, that's one of those minor things that I'll eventually get around to one of these days

Probably a Bug report:

Camper on route 9 has Charmander with Struggle as its only move.

Thanks, I think I got it.

Oh, I hope you have no problems finishing this hack, God willing. The concept is really cool and you are introducing nice ideas, like the first Geovanni encounter I LOVED IT. There are a couple things I noticed that u may or not change:

-You changed Water Gun's animation to a recolored animation of Bullet Seed. Why? I'm just curious :p
    -I found the puzzle of the 3rd to be way too cruel for a Pokemon game, although ur game is slightly edgy. And it has a glitch. I failed the puzzle to the point where literally my whole party fainted and Gary did not black out. I don't know what would've happened if I started another battle.
    -Red's sprite on the overworld is still present in some occasions. When u use the Town Map and/checking a Pokemon area on the Dex. Also when fishing and some frames when you use Fly to go anywhere.
    -Why no Bicycle? I completed Beta 2 and I did not get it.

Keep the good work. Greetings from Dominican Republic.

-Water Gun's reanimation is part of MrDollsteak's patch. I didn't really pick it, it just came with it haha.
    -Tbh I was just too lazy to rescript all of Surge's gym so I just made my own haha. But that all fainting thing is something I'll have to check out, thanks!
    -Those are going to be replaced soon, whenever I find time to sprite them
    -You can get bicycle in the game, it's just different from how you'd get it normally. A hint I'd drop is that you can find it around the time you get your third badge.

And thank you!

hey dood,i dont know why but i cant have random encounters since i get my fifth badge,its that a bug?

99% of the time it's because you dropped off a fossil at the museum and didn't wait to pick it up or you're playing on an old patch. I've fixed the fossil problem but it's really fast to get the fossils to revive. Like, really fast.

That's odd, so your pokedex only has pokemon from before you applied the patch? Or it only counts pokemon you've caught after you applied the patch?

There's only Pokémon I caught and saw after the patch... and also Professor Oak's Pokédex rating system didn't work. When you choose Yes it takes you to the exact same menu and if you choose Yes again, it closes the menu. No big deal but slightly irritating... sorry.

Mmkay, probs something with JPAN's hack erasing certain scripts. I'll get on that haha

Ahah, I know, I leveled up my Fearow nicely, it's a good place to train, but you only really need two squares to move around in for that. It's not that I had problems defeating the Digs, it's just wearisome navigating and getting lost in the maze and being accosted by the same repetitive encounters over and over. Also at some point I don't want to battle wild Pokemon anymore because it'd make me overleveled and the game too easy, so it's all just running away.

Thank you, I've fixed it for future playthroughs.

I use to run this type of idea through my head so much when I was in middle-school. (When Rom Hacks were all I did.) - The idea of playing as Gary was something I always wanted to do, but I wanted to actually flesh a series out of it and play as Silver in Gold/Silver and play as May/Brendan (Which you could, but actually be Professor. Birch's Daughter/Son) - Basically, the fact that you took the time to do this really entices my nature of downloading and playing Rom Hacks early, but I really want to wait until completion as well because I know this will be great ha-ha. The suspense will kill me, but I am sure I will be super excited when it's released!

Keep up the good work Teh Blazer.

Haha I hope you don't skeletonize waiting for me to release the final version. I'll try to crank it out as fast as possible!

First off. I must say. I've played the game all the way to the end of this beta. The Safari Zone and I have to give you Max Credit. This game is amazing and I love the idea behind it. The only thing that urks me is that its based off of yellow instead of red and blue but honestly its not a big deal and the idea is still great. I'm so glad you decided to make this and continue to update it. I know it must be crazy difficult sometimes but I just gotta say. Keep up the great work. You're preforming miracles dude. - 10/10

P.S. Looking forward to the next release.

P.P.S. The only bugs i've really noticed was the repel limbo thing where no Pokemon show up. I think it happened when I used repel in Diglets Cave (but was fixed after I patched it). Another was the bridge heading down towards Fuchsia City on route 12 was glitched out and in the beginning if you try and talk to the Pokemon league guard the game freezes. Not sure if that last one still applies since it was before I patched it.

Haha sorry, I based it off of Yellow just because the rival (you) gets their poiemon based off of whatever the player (your rival) picks. I reckon I could've made the player (your rival) pick a Pokemon at random, but then you would have no choice in your starter and I'd hate to have people soft reset just so they can get the starter they want haha.

And all of those bugs were fixed in the most recent patch.

Can someone old continue this

Do I have to be retired to make this? :'(

So, tiny bug report. I know there are still some things that need sprite replacements, I'm guessing you already know the Town Map needs one too. An oddity though, is when I scroll over a dungeon and hit A, the image and description of the dungeon isn't there anymore, and even if I've completed it, it stays gray like it's been unexplored. I know this is a minor thing, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention just in case.

I'm up to Vermillion, I absolutely love what you did for the SS Anne as well as the tunnel. I can't wait to see what else it has in store, you've done a good job of keeping it similar to the original games but changing it up enough to be a brand new experience.

Oh, haha, that was completely my fault. I forgot to set the worldmap flags in the game (except the cities because you need those to fly to) and I thought nobody would notice. I'll fix it in the future release.

sorry but can i evole my eevee to Leafeon?
    And thank u for the great work, i really enjoy this hack. And i havent seen any bug

Sorry, no Leafeons, Glaceons, or Sylveons in this game. Just a little too lazy to add them in haha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry for the lack of updates guys, I recently got a job which has sucked up all of the time I would've spent hacking. I do, however, manage to squeeze in a little bit here and there so the hack's not dead just yet. I originally wanted to do one update every week but seeing how that would be impossible once school rolls around, I'll just disappoint you now than later. :P

2soZoNF.png

Why do people keep leaving keys on the ground?

Roger Davis

Goofball
    Years
  • Another small bug; a Pokemaniac (or Pokenerd, I was kind of speeding through) in Rock Tunnel had a Charmander that only used struggle. I don't know the specific trainer, I just know it was one of those two classes and he had two Pokemon. It's a small bug anyway and not a big deal, but I hope that's enough information? I should've reported it when I first saw, but I was too into the game to stop. :P

Edit: Adding on to that, I learned after receiving Charmander there's no moves for it until level 7. Not a big thing, since it's easy to train a pokemon up to that level at that point in the game, but still thought it should be pointed out.

Last edited:

Drake Baku

Draconian Dragon Prince
    Years
  • question, nothing special but i can find nidoran male at route 22
    yet after a lot of time hunting i cannot find any nidoran females at the same place
    is this by chance done on purpose
    making the trade between nidoran male and nidoran female have some reason and value or placing the female one at a different location?
    or am i just having bad luck finding one?

Roger Davis

Goofball
    Years
  • question, nothing special but i can find nidoran male at route 22
    yet after a lot of time hunting i cannot find any nidoran females at the same place
    is this by chance done on purpose
    making the trade between nidoran male and nidoran female have some reason and value or placing the female one at a different location?
    or am i just having bad luck finding one?
    You can obtain both, it's just based on luck. It took me forever to get one of each.

Another report: All of the opponents that use Megas have that Mega glitched; it's level 0 and only gives 1 exp. I didn't know if you were already aware or not. Loving the game, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back