• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 1 Moves BANNED in Sun and Moon?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I don't know if anyone else has already started a topic about this, but if so please direct me there.

Anyway, I'm surprised I haven't seen a LOT more people talking about this. Apparently, if you transfer a pokemon with a move that they could only learn in Gen 1 (Zapdos with Whirlwind, or Venusaur with Reflect, for example) you can't use these pokemon online.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I doing it wrong?

Also, if anyone else noticed cool/viable moves that could only be learned on pokemon in the older generations I'd love to hear about them... I might try to transfer some more over too and see if they're usable.

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Because No Guard Fissuring Machamp? Wonder if that'll be blocked.
    All transferred Gen I Pokemon have HA, so No Guard Fissure is impossible either way.

This is actually interesting. I wonder if it's an undersight and will be patched later or intentional.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Maybe it's banned because it'll be more work to catch hacked Pokémon & etc. not sure though, it's pretty peculiar.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    I havent payed much attention to the changes in moves too too much. I did notice my Ash greninja couldnt learn mat block though. My transfered greninja can still use mat block. I think though that it probably cant breed pokes with mat block, and i bet if i delete the move it cant be relearned.

Years
  • That's quite a conundrum; maybe they would deem it unfair? Or perhaps they're still considering what to do with those kinds of moves?

I think the reason GF are making it this way is because Fissure No Guard Machamp would be ridiculously broken and I guess locking these Pokemon to hidden abilities is their best cause of action so that they can be more fair.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    that's weird though

i understand screening for hacks but even when they are legit??

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I have no idea. Zapdos Whirlwind and Venusaur reflect really aren't that OP.

Machamp cannot have No Guard, so Fissure isn't an issue. I wish pokemon company would explain.

Sirfetch’d

Zapdos gets Roar so I don't particularly care about whirlwind. Though this is pretty interesting to note. Are there any other moves that mons previously got that are of importance?

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • Maybe they haven't updated the list of legal moves to take into account that people can now transfer Pokémon from Generation I to Generation VII?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Its more likely an oversight, the moves are probably on an illegal list and it just hasnt been updated.

Does that mean you could potentially get banned from online play for trying to use legitimate Pokemon?

Back