• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gen5 Pokemon Chinese names--LAUGH AT THEM!

Years
  • haha I'm from Taiwan and personally I've never really liked any of the names besides the ones that are directly translated so they basically sound like the Japanese names
    good thing I play/watch pkmn in English xD

although it really shouldn't matter that much unless they're watching the anime since the games are either in Japanese or English

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Wow, everyone who translated the game to Chinese should be fired no questions asked.

That just looks so lazy...where they actually looking at what they were doing?

iNfEcTeD_mUsHrOoM420

Dark and Poison master
    Years
  • tooth tooth lol.. seriously, I used to believe nintendo was a semi-intelligent company. now I don't even believe in the "semi" in that previous sentence. One hell of a shame, thats what this is.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]not only that people would not be interested, it will also create a bad impression to the Mainland Chinese population, as they will have the impression that Pokemon is for either 3 year old kids, or a bunch of retards. [/FONT]

Dang! Those are some harsh words! I applaud them.

This is funny, but in one of those laugh-rather-than-cry ways. Because it's so frustrating too. If I was this company, I would be ashamed of such a product. Ugh.

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    Wow, I feel sorry for the Chinese that have to play with weird translations like that. I guess us English users are lucky when it comes to getting a good translation.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Heatmor's Chinese name confirms a mosquito eater in generation 6.

Obviously.

I would love a Daddy-Long-Legs Pokémon! Not that I've ever heard them be called mosquito eaters, but hey, the more you know.

Anyways, I agree that Glass Tornado would be an epic move, but the rest of these are just appalling.

miley810

Assassin
    Years
  • I feel bad for the chinise people....well about these names all my sarrow towards a country is with Japan....as all of u should know why I will not state it.Yha glass tornado...wait there just a letter off arn't they?But still glass and grass..two TOTALLY different things...MORE OR LESS DOLLY WTHECK FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL...VULTURE PRINCESS VULTURE QUEEN?COME ON THEY SOOOO NEED BETTER TRANSLATERS!"Chandelier Carnival" MY JEE "Bubble Chinchilla" wow......and the worst of all...TOOTH-TOOTH MEAN COME ON THAT JUST MAKES ME WONDER IF THEIR JUST TRYING TO P** JAPAN OFF!

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    A wild Arceus appeared!

Go Little Duck Goose and Mosquito-eating Monster! Or maybe I'll send in my More-or-less Dolly!

miley810

Assassin
    Years
  • wooow lol that sounds patetic (not you the thought of that)lol jeeze GO MORE OR LESS DOLLY WOW UR NAME SOUNDS SUPERIOR EXPECIALLY AGAINST ARCEUS

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • The Pokemon Axew (Kibago in Japanese) was translated as "Tooth-tooth", some baby's gibberish.
    Who cares?
    The Pokemon Minccino (Chillarmy in Japanese) was translated as "Bubble Chinchilla", which is misleading since Minccino is neither a water typed Pokemon nor learns any moves to do with bubbles.
    Actually, it translates to "Bubbly Chinchilla." Bubbly is a synonym for cute, energetic, high spirited, and so on. All can describe Minccino well.
    The Pokemon Ducklett (Koaruhi in Japanese) was translated as "Little Duck Goose"--so is it a duck or a goose?
    Who cares? It's just making fun of the fact that it has been called a duck, and a goose. It's taking the middle ground and calling it both. Makes sense to me~
    The Pokemon Vullaby (Baruchai in Japanese), and its evolve Mandibuzz (barujiina) was translated as "Vulture Princess" and "Vulture Queen" respectively. We have no idea where the "Princess" and "Queen" came from.
    Well, the Pokemon is always female. So, you tell me, genius.
    The Pokemon Heatmor (kuitaran in Japanese), the ANTEATER Pokemon, was mistakenly translated to "Mosquito-eating monster"
    Anteaters don't just eat ants. That's a common misconception. Anteaters actually eat equal or more mosquitoes than ants because there are more mosquitoes than ants in most areas where they life. So, "Mosquito-eating monster" makes more sense.
    The Pokemon Chandelure (Shandera in Japanese), which takes form as a chandelier, was translated as "Chandelier Carnival". Now where does the "carnival" come from?
    Could come from the fact that it looks very colorful, like a carnival. Or maybe the fact that lanterns are commonly used in carnivals to light walk-ways and go along rides, and streets in general in China?

So, the person who originally wrote those is equally as fail or more fail than the translators.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    China sucked at translating the anime.
    I watched the Cantonese anime before, and when I
    watched it for only 2 minutes I turned it off because they names sucked.

Anyways, I just looked up the Chinese names for Gen 5.
    Wow, a lot of names made me crap my pants, man!
    They really suck!

Because of this, I'll watch the English anime of PKMN instead.
    I know....

We were like What the F***?

But really, the only good ones were Gen 1 ones...

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • As funny as it is, I can see why the Chinese fans are disappointed. I would be too.

Back