• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat v2.0

Years
    If you want lightweight... What about Tiny Core?

It's the most minimalistic functional GUI desktop you will ever find.
    I've never actually heard of that one? What's it like?

Recently, Ubuntu changed to an interface called "Unity"... I personally don't like it, but it is the lesser of the evils when you compare it to Metro and GNOME 3 Shell. Linux Mint on the other hand, recently modified the crap out of GNOME 3 so that it was still the newer API and it acts a lot more like what most Linux users are used to. It is also quite infamous for setting everything up for you. It's interface is much more Windows-like by default than most distributions.
    I tried using a plain old gnome 3 desktop the other day. I was complete lost... it's pretty and everything but I had no idea how to do anything. Plus the gestures had a nastey habbit of getting stuck. Like the plugin bar I.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Seems like I'm going to stick with what I know the most and best, which in this case is Windows 7. :)

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years

I've never actually heard of that one? What's it like?

Really really low overhead, boots ridiculously fast, and has a minimalistic X desktop that has a decent amount of tools... If you have VMWare, you can give it a shot. :)

Hell, you don't even need to give the VM a hard drive, just make sure it has at least 64MB RAM and that it boots the ISO. This is a VM that you could run on a computer that has less than a 500MHz processor, so don't worry about having ancient technology. :P

I tried using a plain old gnome 3 desktop the other day. I was complete lost... it's pretty and everything but I had no idea how to do anything. Plus the gestures had a nastey habbit of getting stuck. Like the plugin bar I.

That would be the evil "GNOME Shell"... GNOME 3 has 2 modes, one of them is called "GNOME Shell", which is what you tried, the other is "Fallback Mode" which is like a prettier, but less functional GNOME 2. Linux Mint made GNOME Shell more like Fallback in a way, but better.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Really really low overhead, boots ridiculously fast, and has a minimalistic X desktop that has a decent amount of tools... If you have VMWare, you can give it a shot. :)

Hell, you don't even need to give the VM a hard drive, just make sure it has at least 64MB RAM and that it boots the ISO. This is a VM that you could run on a computer that has less than a 500MHz processor, so don't worry about having ancient technology. :P

Teehee~ OK, now downloading it to try it out in a VM first. It's just 11.9 MB for the ISO itself O.o

Then again, I have heard that the Windows NT kernel in its Windows 7 incarnation is actually ridiculously light when you don't run everything else, including the GUI...

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    Cool... I will warn you though, it doesn't have much for an interface. (Though it's a pretty good one for 12MB and considering all the stuff it has included.)

It even has a package manager. :D

And yes, the NT Kernel is a microkernel... So it has to be lightweight... But it needs a lot of additional programs to do even basic things.

Tis the nature of microkernels.

Years
    Upgrade time!

I just managed to unlock some of the shaders on my graphics card to turn my AMD 6950 to a 6970. It's much harder on the 1GB model.

Just in time to drive my new screen. 27" 2560x1440 resolution. Games are just so crisp and clear. :D

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Upgrade time!

I just managed to unlock some of the shaders on my graphics card to turn my AMD 6950 to a 6970. It's much harder on the 1GB model.

Just in time to drive my new screen. 27" 2560x1440 resolution. Games are just so crisp and clear. :D

Does that bring out any meaningful increase?

*realizes that he is stuck with a 9800 GTX+*

Sooner or later my card's going to hit minspec territory :(

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    About 10-15%, but I'm now driving about 1.8x the pixels, so I'll take all of the performance that I can get.

Hmm... Well, I do hope that it does end up well for you. Me, I'm going to be stuck with this aging 9800 GTX+ for another few years. I think it's getting really close to minimum spec territory at this point, to be honest. And it just can't do 1080p gaming well (and my monitor's resolution is that), so I have to settle with non-native resolutions with newer games.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I wonder whether Intel IGPs are OK these days, just like Norton anything. :p

Also: Seriously, Internet Explorer users like me get no respect here. :(

Years
    I think even NVIDIA IGPs are light years ahead, tbh abiut it.
    Nvidia doesn't really make IGPs for computers any more. They're doing discrete PC graphics and tablet graphics.
    Intel's integrated graphics have been terrible for years.
    Actually the HD3000 and Ivy-Bridge's GPU are fairly good. Not at the same level as dedicated, but enough for basic games.
    Norton anything. :p

Also: Seriously, Internet Explorer users like me get no respect here. :(
    Funnily enough, Norton Internet Security 2012 and IE9 are snappy and effective. Thumbs up from me.
    Hmm... Well, I do hope that it does end up well for you. Me, I'm going to be stuck with this aging 9800 GTX+ for another few years. I think it's getting really close to minimum spec territory at this point, to be honest. And it just can't do 1080p gaming well (and my monitor's resolution is that), so I have to settle with non-native resolutions with newer games.
    Non-native is horrible :P Save up your cash and get a Nvidia GTX 560.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Funnily enough, Norton Internet Security 2012 and IE9 are snappy and effective. Thumbs up from me..
    *meanwhile, his blog post is getting messed up*
    Non-native is horrible :P Save up your cash and get a Nvidia GTX 560.
    I think the saved up cash is going to be headed for a tablet. :( I noticed that I can't get away with just my phone and laptop.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Ubuntu's interface just doesn't go along with me. You know you're in a bit of a bind when your interface just doesn't work. Mixing Windows 7 and OS X is probably one of the worst things that you can do. :P
    Lubuntu is Ubuntu without GNOME/Trinity and with LXDE, it's pretty awesome. I might set it up on a laptop once the LTS is out in a month or so.

Years
    Lubuntu is Ubuntu without GNOME/Trinity and with LXDE, it's pretty awesome. I might set it up on a laptop once the LTS is out in a month or so.

Or you could try Xubuntu. It's similar to Lubuntu only it uses the xfce desktop interface. I find it's more similar to Ubuntu than Lubuntu.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

Or you could try Xubuntu. It's similar to Lubuntu only it uses the xfce desktop interface. I find it's more similar to Ubuntu than Lubuntu.
    LXDE is a new project, and Lubuntu is even newer. I'm a fan of LXDE and I'd like to see the project get more development. I think the minimalist approach is a good one, especially for a system like Linux which is supposed to be "get only the packages YOU want." Of course, I'm biased, seeing as how it's my DE of choice on any system.

Xubuntu is nice, it kind of reminds me of a lightweight GNOME 2, but I really do prefer LXDE, which comes with only what you need and lets you handle the rest.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Tiiiiiiiime to change the topic :)

Now, I wonder how you guys partition your hard disk drives? I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that so I just keep everything on the same partition (aside from the one Windows 7 creates as a boot partition)

Years
    Tiiiiiiiime to change the topic :)

Now, I wonder how you guys partition your hard disk drives? I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that so I just keep everything on the same partition (aside from the one Windows 7 creates as a boot partition)

For a single-drive system, I just use one partition. My current desktop, however has a more complex setup.

Games: 2x Hitachi 7200 rpm Drives in RAID0 - "Hitachi Stripe"
    Storage: WD Caviar Black 1TB - "WD Black"

Back