• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
Years
  • Chrome 4 @_@ Wow now thats outdated. Current version is 8.0.552.224

It drives me mad when companies decide to rename a version by some rediculous amount just to sound better.

I mean seriously, Chrome 4 -> 8? There aren't FOUR VERSIONS of features in 8, is there?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    It drives me mad when companies decide to rename a version by some rediculous amount just to sound better.

I mean seriously, Chrome 4 -> 8? There aren't FOUR VERSIONS of features in 8, is[are] there?
    No. Google an their massive development team like to release a betas of new versions every... week or so, and when they get bored and decide to call their release a major release they add a number when they feel like it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I'm so angry at my current ISP. I am having very spotty connections. Its been better lately but earlier today I lost connection for twenty minutes. I wanted a way to test internet connectivity for an extended period of time but didn't really know how I wanted to do that. So I deiced to ping My ISP's website 10,000 times.

I only lost 16 packets, but I shouldn't be loosing any. :/ [A ID]58521[/A ID]

Years
  • I'm so angry at my current ISP. I am having very spotty connections. Its been better lately but earlier today I lost connection for twenty minutes. I wanted a way to test internet connectivity for an extended period of time but didn't really know how I wanted to do that. So I deiced to ping My ISP's website 10,000 times.

I only lost 16 packets, but I shouldn't be loosing any. :/ [A ID]58521[/A ID]
    Poor Buoysel. I love my ISP.

Same thing. No packets dropped with an average ping of 50 on wifi and quote a distance from the exchange. Considering my ISP is one of the major game server hosts in the country... :D

Buoysel

Years
  • During my peak connection issues I get anywhere from 100% packet loss to 2 % packet loss. Seems to be working decent now though. (Of course it would work the day the tech guy is supposed to come out and test the lines.)

Years
  • Chrome 4 @_@ Wow now thats outdated. Current version is 8.0.552.224

I mean seriously, Chrome 4 -> 8? There aren't FOUR VERSIONS of features in 8, is there?

I was just covering all the angles as that was a known problem for 4.

Glad you got it sorted in the end, though.​

Years
  • Bugger. My motherboard just failed. Well it's either that or the CPU. If it's the CPU, I might be getting a Phenom X6 and selling the old quad when it comes back from warranty. If it's the board, I might get an i7 rig...

Years
  • Bugger. My motherboard just failed. Well it's either that or the CPU. If it's the CPU, I might be getting a Phenom X6 and selling the old quad when it comes back from warranty. If it's the board, I might get an i7 rig...

Damn, that is annoying. :/
    Well, it would be very nice to have an i7 rig, maybe pretend it is the motherboard to have the i7! XD​

Years
  • Damn, that is annoying. :/
    Well, it would be very nice to have an i7 rig, maybe pretend it is the motherboard to have the i7! XD​
    It's okay. I've got it sorted. The BIOS wasn't letting it POST, so I drained the mobo of power and let it sit overnight unplugged from the PSU without a CMOS battery. It's fixed.

i7's are expensive, though. :P
    I'd be fine with the Phenom, personally.
    I know, but I could have sold the Phenom and board when it came back from RMA for a decent price. Plus, I get things cheap, working in a computer shop. But at the end of the day, I need a graphics card upgrade, not a CPU.

Oh, and I just got these today:
    General Computer Chat
    General Computer Chat

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows and 8GB of Corsair ram. :D

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • It's okay. I've got it sorted. The BIOS wasn't letting it POST, so I drained the mobo of power and let it sit overnight unplugged from the PSU without a CMOS battery. It's fixed.

I know, but I could have sold the Phenom and board when it came back from RMA for a decent price. Plus, I get things cheap, working in a computer shop. But at the end of the day, I need a graphics card upgrade, not a CPU.

Oh, and I just got these today:
    General Computer Chat
    General Computer Chat

Xbox 360 Controller for Windows and 8GB of Corsair ram. :D

8gb of ram dam.I only have 4gb.

So who here thinks that an alienware computer with 20gb ram is just plain stupid.Who could use/need that much ram for even a game.

Buoysel

Years

• 8gb of ram dam.I only have 4gb.

So who here thinks that an alienware computer with 20gb ram is just plain stupid.Who could use/need that much ram for even a game.

20GB of RAM? Easily in a corporate data center, but I don't see why an individual would need that.

I only have 2GB on my laptop and my home server. I could use some more RAM for virtualization reasons, but other than that I never come close to maxing out my RAM. In fact my CPU gets overloaded when I run two machines at once and I'm only using 1.5GB of my RAM.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • 20 GB of ram is just as stupid as buying a Intel Extreme processor. Some may spew 'Future proofing' but as any computer knowledgable person knows, what is state of the art one week is outdated/obselete the next.

Edit - As for Intel in general, i can't really see its superority in home computing. AMD is better for home/gaming uses while Intel is more suited for more intensive work like video editing.

Years
  • 20 GB of ram is just as stupid as buying a Intel Extreme processor. Some may spew 'Future proofing' but as any computer knowledgable person knows, what is state of the art one week is outdated/obselete the next.

Edit - As for Intel in general, i can't really see its superority in home computing. AMD is better for home/gaming uses while Intel is more suited for more intensive work like video editing.
    I wouldn't be so quick to categorise Intel and AMD. The i3s with H55 boards work out incredibly good value. Not to mention the i5-760s are faster for gaming than the AMD Phenom 965s, both of which are basically the same price. I'm an AMD fan and I can't deny that Intel has the advantage in most areas of the market, aside from extreme budget, where the Athlon X2s can't be beaten.

AMD's next performance CPU, Bulldozer should change this, hopefully.

Yeah, I don't even think they'd be putting in 20 GB of RAM. 16 or 24, depending on platform. Either way, more than 8GB is useless. Even 4GB is enough for most higher-end systems.

Buoysel

Years
  • Fun fact: Max Memory size for Windows Vista is 128GB, Windows 7 bumped it up to 192GB but the most you can actually use in a Windows Computer is 2TB in Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thats a lot of RAM :D

I really need a new Mobo, one that supports more than 2GB of RAM. :{

Morgnarok

Years
  • My computer only supports 4gb ram.Its a

AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual
    Core processor 4000+
    2.11 GHz,4GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4350(Upgraded Video Card)DDR2 512 MB

Was a Windows Vista but i downgraded it to Windows Xp Professional.

Years
  • 20GB of RAM is overkill. Can you even get that much? Pretty pointless if you ask me.

My Macbook has 4GB and it handles everything perfectly. I am pretty sure having 20GB of RAM would slow the computer down more than anything.​

Morgnarok

Years
  • Well i saw a alienwear with 18gb of ram so i think 20 is possible same with like someone said 24gb of ram is possible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back