• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Hey everyone, is the best nature for togekiss modest or some other nature and why? Thanks! :)
Depends on how exactly you're gonna use it. An offensive Togekiss (like a Nasty Plot set) would use a Modest nature, but a more defensive one (like a paraflinch type) would use something like Bold or Calm.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Is a shiny pokemon just for show or is it stronger in some way, shape or form?

It's purely an aesthetic thing. Shiny pokes aren't any different from non-shiny ones besides the coloration. Though they do tend to be valued more because they're rare.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
Fulfilling my childhood dream

I want to own at least 1 game from each generation including remakes, and I want to have a combination that lets me complete the Pokedex. Which game of each gen should I buy to see my dream become a reality? Thanks for any help you can give!

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
That might be difficult if you're only going for only one game in each generation. I'm assuming you want each pokemon catchable ingame without needing to trade over wifi. The first problem I can think of is between Xerneas and Yveltal. If you both of them you'll need both X and Y as neither are in ORAS. I think that will be the case with many other version exclusive Kalos pokemon (Aromatisse and Slurpuff for example).

So I don't know exactly how you want to resolve the problem, but at any rate, this page should help you nevertheless: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Version-exclusive_Pokémon

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
If I had to, I would do Wonder Trade and all that. I'm fine with that. I just don't have enough money to buy every single game at the moment so I want to start off with 1 of each. Also it it true that I can take a Pokemon from Fire Red and trade it all the way through the current game? Because if so that would be awesome.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
You can indeed do that but you'll need to have either a DS or DS Lite with a GBA slot in it. Then you can transfer your pokemon from 4th gen to 5th gen by using your 3DS is DS mode, and then you can get them to 6th gen by using Pokemon Bank.

If your willing to wifi trade, you shouldn't have many problems at all as apparently every pokemon is available between X/Y and ORAS. So between whichever two of those games you have, my advice you be too work from there and try and fill in the blanks backwards. White 2 has a bunch of pokemon available in it because of White Forest, so that might be a good place to start too.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
So out of Black, White, Black 2 and White 2 you think W2 is the best choice? Or should I get like Black and then White 2? Also what is the best Gen 4 game?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Can someone help? X/Y or OR/AS?

havent played Pokemon in a while....last time was when emerald came out, and I wanted to play some again but should I buy X/Y or OR/AS?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
havent played Pokemon in a while....last time was when emerald came out, and I wanted to play some again but should I buy X/Y or OR/AS?

That's a very long time! How come you weren't interested no more?

On-topic: It's a hard choice, and I bet OR/AS are amazing games (haven't played them yet, i'm European), but I think X and Y are a better set of games to re-introduce you into the world of Pokémon.
ORAS is a remake, and since your last game was Emerald, it means that the latter wil not be an actual new experience for you. X and Y are a whole new experience, since it has a new region, new Pokémon and overall new characters you haven't seen before, whereas OR/AS have aspects that are familiar to you.

So all in all, go for X and Y. You can buy OR/AS later, but X/Y is such a new fresh to the series, you just have to play it. X/Y will probably be better introducing you to new features brought in Gen VI than OR/AS would do.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
That's a very long time! How come you weren't interested no more?

On-topic: It's a hard choice, and I bet OR/AS are amazing games (haven't played them yet, i'm European), but I think X and Y are a better set of games to re-introduce you into the world of Pokémon.
ORAS is a remake, and since your last game was Emerald, it means that the latter wil not be an actual new experience for you. X and Y are a whole new experience, since it has a new region, new Pokémon and overall new characters you haven't seen before, whereas OR/AS have aspects that are familiar to you.

So all in all, go for X and Y. You can buy OR/AS later, but X/Y is such a new fresh to the series, you just have to play it. X/Y will probably be better introducing you to new features brought in Gen VI than OR/AS would do.

Haha I was not interested anymore because I was busy with school stuff. But I have seen lets plays of X&Y and of OR/AS and Im more interested in Online Battling.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If your last game was Emerald, you might feel a bit too familiar with ORAS and it won't feel entirely new to you. It's great, don't get me wrong, but if you are looking for a new experience, I recommend buying XY for now. But you should pick up ORAS some time after that! Familiarize yourself with new things that have happened since gen III with XY and then revisit Hoenn in ORAS after that. I think that'd be the proper way to get you back into the series comfortably. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 28, 2014
My dream has been to own every version, and switch over my Pokemon to help me beat each newer challenge. Like how Ash does it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'm just going to move this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, since your query is about the games.

Years
I'd go with X/Y if you're going for something easy and new. Don't get me wrong, X & Y are great games, however they go by so fast and it's so easy to overpower everybody that it just looses it's luster after beating the Elite 4 multiple times with zero challenge. However, it's not all bad, it's the first Pokemon game in full 3D instead of 2D sprites, you can interact with your pokemon through Amie, and this feature can be used to evolve certain Pokemon (I think Eevee-->Sylvion/Espion/Umbreon are the only ones through this method though) you can train your Pokemon with the Super Trainer feature, it's easier to see your friends with the PSS and you can see passerbys from around the world.

ORAS, on the other hand goes back to it's roots and actually gives you a somewhat of challenge which was something a Pkmn game hasn't done since D/P/P/HG/SS. Granted it's story is familiar to those who played R/S/E, but it's a good sense of familiarity, not the one of "REALLY THIS AGAIN UGHH." It also adds some new feature such as upgrades to the Pokenav, with the DexNav where you can search for particular Pokemon in the area, capturing multiple legendaries from previous games through mirage spots and portals. The Pokemon Amie and Super Trainer features return, along with the PSS.

As I said, if you want something new, then go with X/Y, if not then go with ORAS

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Bulbmandle, if you don't mind, I'll merge your topic into our questions and answers thread, as it would fit there better. Due to similar reasons, Kas, I'm also merging your topic alongside.

As for choosing between ORAS and XY, I'd likely recommend going with latter. If we've played RSE recently, as Sydian had stated, we would likely not find ourselves enjoying Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and therefore, choosing Pokémon X and Y would give us more fun times.

Thread merged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back