• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Generation V as a "rebirth" [ #3 ]

What did Generation V consist of for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Generation V as a "rebirth" [ #3 ]

Whether you actually consider Generation V to be a true "rebirth" of Pokemon (as it has been proclaimed as by Game Freak), or just another run-of-the-mill Pokemon Generation with new Pokemon, some new moves and abilities, and a few new features. Or, could it even be considered a step backwards for Pokemon, changing too many established features of Pokemon and alienating some fans from what has made Pokemon, Pokemon over the years?

You decide on if Black and White is just your average new Pokémon generation with no new things to warrant being called a "rebirth", a step backwards for Pokémon, or a true rebirth for the series.

Poll idea from fenyx4. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • When I look at B/W, I think; WOW, there's ton of changes. So I think it's a rebirth. Like the new graphics, new Pokemon animations, seasons, and more I can't think of at the moment.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In a sense, I think it is. There's brand new Pokemon, who replace the roles of past ones (like Gear, Gigiasu, Churine, etc), as well as having little association to the past (besides Cynthia and a few other things), but... I think it is a rebirth. Everything is all new and the world is new, it's far away from the other places, so... in that way, it is.

As a whole? No, Pokemon is and always will be the same series, even if the Pokemon don't look like "Pokemon" are meant to. Though overall, it's brand new, which is what matters. It's a rebirth, but not a complete one, if you understand me. XD;

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd consider B/W as my average new generation of Pokemon games. True, the other 493 Pokemon aren't obtainable till after the National Dex (including the Pikachu family), but Cynthia's appearance and the new game mechanics were there as well, despite the fact that B/W was supposed to be the rebirth of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Angelique

Le Magnifique
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2014
    Although I liked the upgraded graphics, animations, and plot, I only liked a handful of Pokemon. I did not appreciate the new Pokemon replacing the old. I hate some of the BW legendaries (e.g. genie and 3 musketeers that don't resemble musketeers). There should always be "new" Pokemon but nothing outrageous like 3 genie clones and 3 monkey clones. At least Deoxys doesn't require a new Pokedex number. The melody legendary Pokemon is unique... So, BW has its pros and cons. I say BW is average, like most latter gens. -pokes Skitty, Glameow, and Choroneko-

CharCopter

The Golduck Fan
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Mar 5, 2011
    I think of the 5th gen as a huge rebirth. So many different things and a whole new look. I am really digging this gen a lot.

Silver Metagross

Better than blue.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    I don't think it was a total 'rebirth'. While there are a ton of new features, pokemon, moves and abilities, a 'rebirth' signifies that previous generations would become... outdated? But this is not the case. The 156 new pokemon are not completely separated from previous gens. They still continue from the previous national dex. A true 'rebirth' would be similar to generation III with no backwards capability and would have to change something significant, something gen V does not do. It adds more but doesn't change the basic principles of the game that have been the same since gen III. So I think that, while gen V is a huge step forward in almost all aspects of pokemon games, it does not do enough differently from past iterations to be a 'rebirth'.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I voted rebirth. There isn't any evolutions for previous pokemon which is a start. The area is nowhere near based on Japan, the scenery is different. New features, such as Triple battles and Dream World also give it a cliche. This generation is possibly my favourite.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I think it's just your average Pokemon game. It's the same gameline isn't it? I have yet to play it, but know how awesome it is, but it isn't really a rebirth. it just has more features ^_^ Like RSE

Years
  • Black/White seems just like the usual step forward that takes place.. i think after jumping into worldwide trading, there isnt that much more you can do on the level of revolutionary. although reverse abilities in the dream World helps with new strategies.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • A Step Forward

I believe it's a new rebirth for Pokemon. I never had so much fun playing a Pokemon game since Emerald. I believe they are also testing the limits of possibilities. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, to me, seemed much of a fail; a lack of originality and design. Pokemon Black and White has so much originality in the Pokemon and Pokemon designs, character designs, graphical features, and storyline. It's nice to see some creative Pokemon for once. I've only expected to see Pokemon designs like these from a Pokemon hacked ROM until now. Even the little features like the word bubble-like dialogue is a step up; it helps the player a bit to better understand who's talking.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2011
    While there are a lot of new features and concepts, I can't say it's a total rebirth. The main idea of the game has stayed the same, albeit with a somewhat different storyline and all the new features. If you think about it though, the new stuff isn't all that different. Sure, triple battles are cool, but double battles were viewed the same way when they came out and no one saw them as being exactly revolutionary. The only thing that I see as being that different this generation is the dream world, and I hardly think that's enough to call the whole generation a rebirth.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I'm not going to call Generation 5 a step backwards, but it's lacking in departments Generation 4 excelled in. There's a lack of replay value, and overall not too much content. Isshu is rather small and generic in comparison to Sinnoh, and unnecessarily linear. And the difficulty curve is much too low.

Nevertheless, Generation 5 introduced great Pokemon (for the most part), cool characters, a fantastic plot (by Pokemon standards), and beautiful graphics.

Just like Generations 3 and 4, there are somethings missing which weren't missing before, but overall, there are more improvements than disappointments. It's an average generation.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I have to say that it's just an average new generation of Pokemon. I didn't get the sense that it was a rebirth at all. Still a great game though. I guess the only feel of rebirth comes from the fact that the new region is based off of America, not Japan.

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The only thing that really give it the feel of the rebirth is the amount of obvious "parallel Pokemon". Other than that ut was that much if a drastic change,

Obelisk

Toad Sage
    Years
  • I voted for the average new generation.

Looking at Gen 5 it doesn't really speak "rebirth" to me. I haven't checked thoroughly threw all of the new changes but none of them seem mind blowingly different then the other poke games. Aside from the new Dream World feature, which seems very interesting, everything seems pretty standard. The 3d is nice but Pokemon has been visually enhanced during every generation.

I feel Gen 4 might have been more of a rebirth. I mean there were so many new features that differed from R/S/E and the previous gens. Wifi was a major breakthrough and brought about global trading and such.

While Gen 5 is awesome and does look cool I don't think it is a "rebirth".

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I voted for the average new generation.

Looking at Gen 5 it doesn't really speak "rebirth" to me. I haven't checked thoroughly threw all of the new changes but none of them seem mind blowingly different then the other poke games. Aside from the new Dream World feature, which seems very interesting, everything seems pretty standard. The 3d is nice but Pokemon has been visually enhanced during every generation.

I feel Gen 4 might have been more of a rebirth. I mean there were so many new features that differed from R/S/E and the previous gens. Wifi was a major breakthrough and brought about global trading and such.

While Gen 5 is awesome and does look cool I don't think it is a "rebirth".
    Same here except for me it was a Gen III as a true "Rebirth" it introduced new ingame mechanics, natures, ivs, several new pokemon the second most introduced in a gen (not counting gen 1), two evil teams, a plot that revolves around the legendary, Remakes of old games (FrLg) it practically set lots of patterns for the next two Gens.
    Plus it prevented trading from the last two gen's cutting it off from the past gens making it very rebirth like.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I voted before thinking. I said a step back, but I didn't think about what I liked. I find it not average, a rebirth or a step back, to be honest. I find it a mix of the lot. Eg:

Rebirth:
    More pokemon evolve with stones and through normal trading - I missed this during generations 2-4.
    The plot is pretty good
    Completely rethought the Elite 4.

Step Backs:
    There is a lack in originality in the Pokemon, I think. I just don't get the feeling of many if the new pokemon being Pokemon. They just feel like weird monsters to me. I loved the way Seal was just a seel, Meowth was a cat, Hoothoot was an owl, Torchic was a chick, Starly was a starling. Upto gen 4 I've had the animal feeling. I think generation 5 was rushed in the most important aspect - the pokemon.
    Tge graphics ruined this for me. I liked being able to walk like I'm a pokemon character, and not take like two minutes to cross a bridge.

Back