• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Genetics

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
  • Just a thought, but if this whole genetics thing turns up to be true, do you think we'll be having a Deoxys event or have one in the post-game to catch? Deoxys is based on DNA, and if X and Y are chromosomes, then...yeah just a thought! Deoxys is one of the most elusive legendaries (it has been for me anyway), so it'd be nice to have the chance to get one this gen.

Yes, please. I've never gotten an actual Deoxys, except for the one my friend traded to me for a short while. And being the DNA pokemon this does seem to fit. But if they are planning on making remakes for R/S/E, I would think Deoxys would be more of a fit for the remakes, imo. But having a genetic theme is pretty cool, reminds me of Punnett squares from school a while back. Anyway, I think this will be the main theme of X and Y, but all we have really seen is a trailer, and though it looks like DNA, you never know.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Oh my goodness, what if the storyline touches on the ethical implications of just creating Pokemon willy nilly? Not only is that a big slap in the face to cheaters, but it has the potential to be a really deep storyline that asks all the tough questions that Black and White didn't.

Is it right for humanity to take a process nature does on its own for ourselves? What are the costs of such a venture, both in a monetary and an ecological sense? How far is too far?

The best part about this is that there isn't a wrong answer. The answers and reactions each player gets out of these hard questions will be different and deeply personal.

Could you imagine the heartbreak someone could receive when the player finds that the evil team has failed in its early genetic experiments and creates a Pokemon that just doesn't survive? The evil team just discards it and lets it suffer and pass alone, but the player finds it and stays with it 'til the end? A bit dark for a Pokemon game, but we've had an evil team kill Pokemon before! And that's such a personal experience that doesn't ask the question, it shoves it down your throat and then forces you to condemn or justify what has been done.

Ooooh I can't wait!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised If Pokemon X and Y's theme was genetics. It all ties in with the new genesect movie coming out in Japan later and the Double Helix's kinda ties the knot, for the moment anyway.

Years
  • Have you all thought that X and Y might be about chromosomes?

If you look at this picture:
    Spoiler:

You'll see a rainbow chromosome thing there.

Do you think there will be clones, like Mewtwo. Genetic modifications like Genesect or more evolutions for eevee's unstable DNA? Also may be worth to note that Ditto copies the opponent's DNA, what if there was some sort of ditto doppelganger or even an evolution for Ditto.

Can you imagine some of our favorite pokemon being genetically modified? One thing is pretty certain, there will be some evolutions of previous pokemon.
    I would love it if when you breed an eevee through ditto that you got one of its evolutions at random depending on the nature of the ditto... like say you breed a hardy eevee with a timid ditto theres a 50/50 chance of you ending up with a higher speed evolution... so on and yada yada
    What im saying is
    You put a modest ditto in with any kind of eevee in the daycate
    And end up with a lvl1 glaceon or espeon
    Im typing this off of my cell so its kinda jibbery
    But i think it could make sense
    A little
    Maybe?
    Teehee

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
    Years
  • Oh my goodness, what if the storyline touches on the ethical implications of just creating Pokemon willy nilly? Not only is that a big slap in the face to cheaters, but it has the potential to be a really deep storyline that asks all the tough questions that Black and White didn't.

Is it right for humanity to take a process nature does on its own for ourselves? What are the costs of such a venture, both in a monetary and an ecological sense? How far is too far?

The best part about this is that there isn't a wrong answer. The answers and reactions each player gets out of these hard questions will be different and deeply personal.

Could you imagine the heartbreak someone could receive when the player finds that the evil team has failed in its early genetic experiments and creates a Pokemon that just doesn't survive? The evil team just discards it and lets it suffer and pass alone, but the player finds it and stays with it 'til the end? A bit dark for a Pokemon game, but we've had an evil team kill Pokemon before! And that's such a personal experience that doesn't ask the question, it shoves it down your throat and then forces you to condemn or justify what has been done.

Ooooh I can't wait!

That's exactly what I'm expecting of this game's story. Right now, at least, with the little we've seen. Can you imagine how serious and catastrophic this could be to that region, maybe even the world if the evil team expanded? Where is the love for pokémon as individuals? Maybe we'd even see N in this game :P
    This team would definitely be the darkest of all teams.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • All of the signs point towards it and they've never used something like this before. If it is the case then I'm thoroughly interested to see how this storyline plays out.

Years
  • I'm not really up on my biology, but don't chromosomes replicate by splitting in two? (Mitosis or something like that.) If the legendaries are sort of living representations of that then does that open the door to some kind of breeding involving the legendaries? Or at least using them to unlock some new one, such as having X and Y together in your party to obtain some kind of XY hybrid legendary?

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
    Years
  • I'm not really up on my biology, but don't chromosomes replicate by splitting in two? (Mitosis or something like that.) If the legendaries are sort of living representations of that then does that open the door to some kind of breeding involving the legendaries? Or at least using them to unlock some new one, such as having X and Y together in your party to obtain some kind of XY hybrid legendary?

That would be interesting... Breeding legendaries.

I can imagine us finding for example, feathers of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres and being able to create one. The same way we revive fossils by bringing the fossils to an NPC.
    Nothing like catching legendary/rare pokémon, though.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I didn't notice the double helix in the title until now, which makes me believe the game's plot will definitely have something to do with genetics, and that's exciting for me. It should be interesting depending on how far and where they take this sort of plot line.

I like the idea of the mascots actually being genetically modified like Hiroshi mentioned earlier. That would be a cool twist if they decide to go there.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Xerneas doesn't scream genetically modified to me though.
    However what if the legends are mixes of past legends. Xerneas being a fusion of Dialga and Virizion's dna. Yvtal being a mix of Darkrai and Zapdos' genes.

Years
  • I don't know about anyone else, but the whole DNA/Genetic engineering/splicing thing is a little too reminiscent of Digimon for my tastes. If it's similar to the Mewtwo/Mew relationship, then that's ok, but if we're like combining Pokemon to make other Pokemon like that in game then I'd have to draw the line there and call BS.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well they did that with Kyurem...perhaps B2W2 were a test run for these games. The DNA splicers could return and play an even bigger role in this game.
    I'm with Live however, that wouldn't be the best option.
    Perhaps Y is genetically modified and must be stopped, while X is coming out to stop the horried experiments going on but is looking for a trainer to help it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    It would be great if they used genetics as a central plot, I feel it has not been looked in detail in any of the previous games. Also I feel like it won't be so much about "clones", thought that would be very interesting, and more about genetic treits and enhancements...

To me It feels like this legendaries can even be 2 components of a single Pokemon.... which could be the third legendary. This would bring the topic of pokemon fusion into the table, which I think is something Gamefreak have been evading forever, until the recent installments.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
    Years
  • It would be great if they used genetics as a central plot, I feel it has not been looked in detail in any of the previous games. Also I feel like it won't be so much about "clones", thought that would be very interesting, and more about genetic treits and enhancements...

To me It feels like this legendaries can even be 2 components of a single Pokemon.... which could be the third legendary. This would bring the topic of pokemon fusion into the table, which I think is something Gamefreak have been evading forever, until the recent installments.

Yeah, modifying existing pokémon could mean err... mutated evolutions for certain pokémon. Or really, the same pokémon but with an alternate DNA form. Maybe we could choose to permanently modify our pure pokémon's DNA.
    The DNA Splicers in this gen are also developing the concept of genetic modification on the pokémon series.
    Clones aren't the only thing the story could tell, but cloning sure is part of genetics and we might see it in the game, whether we can clone our pokémon or not.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't know about anyone else, but the whole DNA/Genetic engineering/splicing thing is a little too reminiscent of Digimon for my tastes. If it's similar to the Mewtwo/Mew relationship, then that's ok, but if we're like combining Pokemon to make other Pokemon like that in game then I'd have to draw the line there and call BS.
    Let's hope Pokémon doesn't go the way of DNA evolution. Ever. I, myself, wouldn't be entirely okay with that. I don't see how it'd work without having to do a complete overhaul when you include past Pokémon either, which could make things entirely complex. I think if we're dealing with genetics as the main plot point it would be a little more tame than that, perhaps closely resembling the Mew/Mewtwo relationship from Gen I, but more in depth.

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    I think genetics as an overlying theme of the game would be fine and could potentially be super interesting, but I really hope that they don't literally just focus on X and Y chromosomes, as the chromosomes that determine sex, because that last thing I want in Pokemon is some gender essentialism BS because that would pretty much ruin the franchise for me. :T

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • I think there'll be a brand new Eeveelution. I would be looking forward to seeing a new Eeveelution emerge. Since the games would be about genetics... I'd assume the Legendaries would be about Beginning and End of life force.

Back