• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News George Floyd killer convicted

Years
    This is hot off the press, and details are still emerging, what has been tweeted out by NBC and several other news outlets is that Derek Chauvin, the police officer who kneeled on George Floyd's neck has been found guilty as charged on all counts, both murder and manslaughter. I'm glad to see some justice for the man, and his family. The three other officers charged with accessory to murder, Thao, Lang and Kueng, will be tried seperately, and their case will go to court later this year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-george-floyd-death-live-updates/7298158002/

Years
    it's worth a moment to be relieved for now, but the fight for black lives is far, far from over. this is saying the obvious, but it needs to be said, regardless. this is only a step in holding racist police officers accountable. the fact that it took this much of a fight to get to this point shows how much power police officers really do have over regular people.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    it's worth a moment to be relieved for now, but the fight for black lives is far, far from over. this is saying the obvious, but it needs to be said, regardless. this is only a step in holding racist police officers accountable. the fact that it took this much of a fight to get to this point shows how much power police officers really do have over regular people.

This. We have a small victory here but we're far from winning the war. Let's celebrate this moment for what it is but never forget that injustices are committed against POC every day and it's up to us to make a better, safer tomorrow.

Still, feel good to know that 'man' will be charged accordingly. Cheers.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's good to see that the jury made what was the obviously correct decision, but it ultimately matters little if there is no change soon (and real change, not the token shit in the bill bearing his name). And I don't expect that change to come, unfortunately.

Years
    It's long from over. There's many cops who got away with murder and still will. George Floyd shouldn't even BE dead. As everyone else said, there needs to be real change. The way things are now basically sends out a message saying "it's ok to kill people of color".

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Can I just say that I hated how the media sensationalized that man's trial? Stop trying to squeeze cash money out of his crimes and find him guilty, ugh. I'm very glad they found him guilty, though. He looked so shocked about it too. Like, bro what did you think would happen? They've been on your ass for a year now. It's a nice celebration, but still tapping my fingers and waiting for more real change to come out of this. People are still needlessly dying.

I wear black lives matter bracelets every day, and I had a man come up to my yesterday, and say "You know that means you support communism?", and I'm just like... ah, good to see some people are still ignorant, and the point goes over their head like they're 4 ft tall when they're a 6 foot tall man. Yikes. I'm so glad he was charged, but there's still so much that needs to happen. This was the tip of an iceberg, but I hope it keeps going in a positive direction from here.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It gets more "fun" by the way

Pelosi legit said on TV after the verdict "thank you George Floyd for sacrificing your life for justice"

I don't think I need to explain to you all what is wrong with that

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It gets more "fun" by the way

Pelosi legit said on TV after the verdict "thank you George Floyd for sacrificing your life for justice"

I don't think I need to explain to you all what is wrong with that
    All I did was deeply inhale and wish I hadn't have read that.

Every single time we take a step forward, in other ways we take a step back and end up in the same damn place.

Sadly, people are so gullible these days they'll believe anything that will fit their narrative about the world. Sad that this is what America has come to but this also our fault for letting it become this way.

RIGHT. When he asked me that, he was like "Have you heard what those BLM leaders are doing?", and I just went "It depends on what news source you read, but what did you hear?" It's got nothing to do with leaders, anyway.

Honestly, they need to aggressively ruin the lives of more officers that step out of line, and perhaps not wait an entire year to do it, but that's just IMO.

Back