• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting over Depression

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    well ur lucky u have pets, atm nobody in my family knows why Im depressed and I wont tell them why, the only thing that helped slightly was Tylenol.

Years
    well ur lucky u have pets, atm nobody in my family knows why Im depressed and I wont tell them why, the only thing that helped slightly was Tylenol.

Alright, well first of all tell your family why you're depressed. Keeping things bottled up only a) frustrates the people trying to help, and b) makes it worse.

At times when I feel depressed, I usually sit and think about why I'm depressed. Concentrate on whatever it is that makes you sad. I mean, c'mon; you can only be depressed for so long, and not thinking about it is ultimately just prolonging the "recovery process". Ignoring things doesn't make them go away, right? Right.

You should also try to come up with a solution to your problem. Thinking about them isn't enough. Obviously, a problem becomes less when there's a solution to it, no?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Agreeing with Rockets that you should really tell someone close to you if you're feeling depressed. Speaking from personal experience, that's one of the best things, if not the best thing you can do.

I would also suggest keeping busy. Whenever my depression hits me, and I start to feel really horrible, I do a lot of random things that require a lot of movement. If I stay on the computer or watch television, then my depression starts to get the best of me. So I force myself to get out of my chair and do something. I either take my dogs for a walk, clean the house, or just go outside and walk. (On days that I work, I also do a lot of busywork there.) The fact that I got out of my chair improves my mood. Also, exercise releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel better.

Same with laughter. Think about all the things that make you laugh no matter what and then do them. Read a book with funny parts, watch some of your favorite television shows...anything to make you laugh.

The other things that I do when I'm depressed actually only work for me, so I'll refrain from saying them.

But tell your family if you are feeling depressed. Don't make any excuses to hold you from doing it. Do it. No matter what.

Years
    I quite commonly start thinking of the good things in life, or what can easily be done to make it better.
    Sometimes I may sleep, or play some games to try and get it off my mind.

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    I quite commonly start thinking of the good things in life, or what can easily be done to make it better.
    Sometimes I may sleep, or play some games to try and get it off my mind.
    that may sound simple and all but what if u were depresed enough that u had to be sent to the hospital?

Years
    that may sound simple and all but what if u were depresed enough that u had to be sent to the hospital?
    Well, I've never gotten that bad before.
    But if that were to happen, I would clear my mind, and just think, the cons of life, and why I should be happy with it.

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    Well, I've never gotten that bad before.
    But if that were to happen, I would clear my mind, and just think, the cons of life, and why I should be happy with it.
    I'd think about cons but that would make me feel worse, as the cons was completely the doing of someone else and they enjoy doing it still!

Lo-chan

Seme Dara will get you :o
    Years
    You should tell somebody you're close to. Friends or family. Although, someone older is probably best due to the fact that they have probably been through the same thing.

You should never keep things to yourself. That will never help you in the long run. Trust me, I use to do that a lot and just felt more and more depressed.

If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to PM.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Talking about it with someone, then laughter, rest, setting a simple goal, and getting said task done.

Those five keys help me conquer stress almost every time. Laughter probably being the most important.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    I would play with my PSP all day until my eyelids feel like bleeding--works every time(especially if the UMD is action packed like Naruto Heroes)

OR...

Eat tons of chocolate.

Sorano

幸福☆
    Years
    I have had depression for a while now, and before a few months ago there was nothing that could ever make me feel completely better. Music did the trick most of the time, but that was only temporary and only gave me relief for a short period of time before I felt the same as I did before. Recently I've been speaking to someone, and I find that this is the best approach for me. After the first visit, I started feeling better and I continue to feel better. I'm not like.. "cured" or anything, but I recommend that if you really are severely depressed then talking about it is really helpful. Some people may be skeptical like I was at first, but it does help. Everyone is different, though.

Master Electrician

Pretty pretty lights
    Years
    First off, if it's a persistent condition and this kind of thing has troubled you in the past, it might be worth speaking to a psychiatrist. Clinical depression isn't something that can necessarily be dealt with through normal coping methods and it's much better to see someone who knows what they're talking about than it is to self-medicate.

If this is something new, then it's most likely circumstantial depression. Friends help, go out and do the things you love to do with them. Removing yourself from the situation for a while helps, so taking a break from PC might help. The other thing to remember is that there is no instant cure, especially if it's a very deep-seated depression. Time helps. A lot. So long as you're willing to put in some effort, then life DOES get better. If you continue to avoid changing the circumstances that are making you depressed, then you will continue to be depressed.

Although if you want what works for me, a good beer (limiting myself to one) and some time around the gaming table with my friends usually works wonders.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Well I just build a bridge or just find a way around it.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    the things that person said was too hurtful. (Hes a member here)

Well then, did you tell a moderator or admin? Nobody has the right to make anyone else feel bad, whether it be on the Internet or not.

Do you really know this person offine in the "real world"? Because if you don't, there's really no point in getting upset because there's always nutjobs people like that online. But if you do know them, then you could try talking to that person and tell them why it upset you. If that plan fails, then talk to somebody else, and if that plan fails, then decide whether or not whatever that person said is really something to get depressed over, and then get on with your life. You shouldn't let one person drag you down.

As for when I'm depressed, well....I basically try to see whether it would make sense for me to sad, and/or then just do something that makes me laugh/feel good. Or vise versa.

Back