• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting the cold shoulder.

Ayselipera

and then proceed to carry on with whatever I was doing or go someplace else. I'm not going to beg for your time. Especially if you're the one who has come to me in a time of need and then you give me the cold shoulder when I try to help. XOXOXO GOODBYE

Years
  • Depends on the person but if it's someone I value highly I'll be upset about it. Eventually though if things don't change I'll be like "screw it, whatever" and leave it at that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    nobody does this to me be cause I am the best friend ever and nobody even dare otherwise they will REGRET IT

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Apathy is my solution. There's nothing more to it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm a lover, not a fighter, so when someone ignores me, it works. It hurts. Especially if I have no idea why.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • If it's somebody I dearly care about, I might as well get hurt and beg or try to see why the cold shoulder...and even feel guilty, which has happened. If it's some friend or lesser, then I really just ignore. Their loss...I won't be there no more.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I feel a bit hurt emotionally when someone gives me the cold shoulder, but eventually, I ignore that person altogether.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • It depends on who they are. [I can't recall the last time someone close to me ignoring me lol XD;] But yeah I'll be upset about it and wonder why they're ignoring me etc XD;

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't want to care when someone does but I can't help but care a little, but it also depends on the person. I find myself getting paranoid sometimes though and coming up with reasons, but other times I'm just apethatic.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • If there's one thing I can't stand in interpersonal relationships, it's the cold shoulder. If somebody tries to use it on me, I won't stand for it because I honestly don't see the point in it. I think if you're just like "Alright fine, who cares about you then", then that's equally juvenile and it doesn't solve anything.

What I do is basically force them to talk it through with me and sort it out. After all, if I've done something to upset somebody I'd prefer they tell me about it so that I know for future reference. The cold shoulder and the retaliatory cold shoulder are just petty and the lack of communication gets nobody anywhere.

I also think when you get into the mutual cold shoulder routine, there's a certain degree of stubbornness. Each person wants the other to crack first, because for some reason it's "cooler" not to care or to pretend you don't care about the other person, as though this one bad thing they've said or done has made them utterly dispensable to you. Well, what's wrong with caring about somebody and actively trying to heal your relationship with them? Is it somehow weak? Personally, I'd much prefer that than having to deal with all the pretense and pride.

I think if everybody would get over themselves and just talk to one another, it'd be a much less *****y world.

Last edited:

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I usually just ignore it, but I feel like one of these times I should continually pester them until they say something. It would be an interesting reaction I bet. :D

People who do that are usually immature, so they would probably explode violently.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I HATE IT :| I just got cold-shouldered and ignored by 2 of my best friends for 2, almost 3 months and it was incredibly infuriating. I tried to talk it out with them and understand why they were so upset over a certain situation but their way of dealing with it was by not dealing with me and the 2 others in our group. I was really upset those few months.

Luckily, we got them to come around and talk to us but they still never gave us a real explanation so we still have no idea what pissed them off. This solved nothing because we don't know what we did wrong and they won't let us completely put it behind us. They chose to shove it under a rug............which doesn't help because we KNOW it's there.

TL;DR I think it's a petty and immature way of dealing with your problems.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2012
    If someone gives me the cold shoulder for no reason I am fine being the loner... if you are not ok being alone then there is a problem...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm a lover, not a fighter, so when someone ignores me, it works. It hurts. Especially if I have no idea why.

Pretty much this. I'll just be hurt and back off and then probably forgive them once they get over it because I like to be friends with people.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm kinda used to it, so it doesn't really bother me any more. When I was younger, on the other hand, it'd eat me up for days and I spend all of that time internalizing and trying to figure out "why me?" But now it's no big deal, really. People have their reasons, I guess...

Back