• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[GM] Pokemon TCG

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    Introduction:
    Remember that old Pokemon TCG game for the Gameboy? Yeah, well... I've been dying for a sequel. Since nobody else is doing it though, I guess it's up to me, right? I started this back in 2008, but I quickly stopped working on it due to school and other things. But I've restarted it, and it's coming together nicely.

Storyline:
    What storyline? You play the TCG because it's fun. End of story.

Information:
    Ok, so the main reason for a sequel would be to include modern cards. But there are a lot of cards. So this game is going to be released in a modular fashion that IMO actually makes the game more interesting than it would be if it included all the cards in its initial release. The first version of the game will include the base, fossil, and jungle sets. Subsequent releases will expand the card collection in a chronological order, as well as expanding the game world and features. Save games from older releases of the game will be compatible with the new ones, so you don't have to worry about waiting for the "complete" version of the game to begin enjoying it.

Features:
    Every last card I can cram into the game.
    Kanto and Johto regions.

Credits:
    Tileset - BoOmxBiG
    Card scans - PokeBeach.com

Screenshots:

Last edited:

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
    Years
  • Cool, because I don't know how to play TCG, I play the gameboy game today, and it's cool, now I wanted more card, and I find this, good luck ;)

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2010
    This seems really intresting since I love the Pokémon TCG. I played it in real life and on my GameBoy Color and I would like to play this!
    So any news on how far the progress is? :D

And will we see Imakuni? appear in the game? :D

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I never got the chance to play the game based off the TCG based off the game so this will be interesting to me.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    You have me utterly enthralled. I fell in love with the first Pokemon TCG game. In fact, I still have it and it works! I last played it about a month ago.

I'd love it if you could make it work. Any thoughts for dueling others online?

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • This is really interesting =D However, the utter lack of story and the inclusion of Kanto and Johto confuses me. Why not give it a story like:

You've arrived in Kanjo (Kanto+Johto) to participate in the PkMn TCG Tournament. You'll have to collect "Pins" (like in real-life tournaments) from the Elite Duelists/Gym Leaders (I don't know what else you'd call a person who plays cards) in order to advance through out the region and expand the amount of cards you can obtain and hold. After obtaining the 16 Pins, you're allowed to take on the Elite 4 Duelists and the Champion.

Simple plot, but effective.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Maybe the story is a secret? I'd be fine with anything, really. The original didn't even have a story. You just beat people for more cards... That was it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I don't consider that plot, I consider it an objective.

But yes, there will be tournaments to collect pins (approximately 16), followed by a championship.

And regarding online functionality, there will be absolutely none. Sorry, I know it'd be awesome to be able to trade and play with real people, but Nintendo might perceive it as a threat to their card sales.

Though I might implement a Gift Code feature that'll work kinda like the Mystery Gift feature of the GSC pokemon games.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Nah, it's fine. I was just curious as to whether you were going to try and implement a feature like the Communications Center from Pokemon Raptor EX.

Agreed. Are the graphics going to be in 8-bit the entire time, or will you be using other tiles in the future? As much as I love the originals, that might get a bit annoying if the cards and battles take place in a more modernistic style, you know?

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Don't use GBC graphics alongside vector art/scans. Either upgrade the map graphics, or devamp the scans and interface to make it GBC-like. Also, as you've resized the map graphics, you should do the same to the menu/textbox. It looks odd at the moment.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I'm considering dropping the GSC tileset in favor of a more modern one, so that other elements of the game don't stick out.

I'm also scrapping the menu. In its place will be a very ambitious and sophisticated Pokegear model. I don't want to spill all the beans just yet, but let's just say that the game will revolve around it.

The bad news is that my goals are way overly ambitious. But the weekend's almost here, and I'll be spending many hours on this. Hopefully I'll have something to show off come Monday.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    Well, I'm about 5 days late... and I don't have much to show you guys. Sorry! But here's some new screenshots:

[GM] Pokemon TCG
    [GM] Pokemon TCG
    [GM] Pokemon TCG

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    this looks fun, are you decided that thhe graphics are gonna be gens 1 and 2 in the final?

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I know it's alot harder to program but i think you should concider an online version with battling online.

Back