• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gold vs Silver

Which is better?

• Gold

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Silver

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    the red vs blue led me to ask, which you believe is better. Gold or Silver

I personally believe silver is bettter because it has better pokemon such as vulpix. but what do you believe? i'm seeing it really simple.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • This is going to become a ho-oh v lugia thread... You just can sense it. (You should put crystal into the discussion)

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It's a bit more of an even trade-off with Gold/Silver than it is with Red/Blue. Arcanine and Ariados (Gold) are generally superior to Ninetales and Ledian (Silver), but on the other hand, Skarmory and Donphan (Silver) are generally superior to Mantine and Ursaring (Gold). It's better to just get Crystal, though, which gets you all of the version exclusives except Vulpix and Mankey (neither of which are that useful).

As for Lugia vs Ho-Oh, Lugia's cooler, while Ho-Oh has a rarer typing and more immediately useful stat spread (Ho-Oh's built for offense, while Lugia's more defensive).

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I grew up with Silver, so maybe I'm biased, but I prefer it's version exclusives, with Phanpy, Donphan, Skarmory and Delibird being some of my favourite 2nd gen pokemon. As for sprites, I'd say Gold probably nudges it. Mainly for it's Mewtwo sprite. That sprite is amazing. I also love Gold's Murkrow sprite with it's back turned to you. I also prefer Lugia to Ho-oh too, but in a way Lugia makes Silver too easy because it's such a beast. With the right moveset that thing can legitimately solo the Elite Four.

Years
  • I first had Silver for the longest time. But I like Gold's exclusives more, so it was kind of disappointing that I was stuck with the one that I wasn't quite as fond of.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    This is going to become a ho-oh v lugia thread... You just can sense it. (You should put crystal into the discussion)

Its too easy to include Crystal. Crystal is an enhanced/definitive version of the two.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2015
    I personally loved Silver more then Gold, I played them both but, to be honest, the way the Silver Version's box looked as well as the game, I really REALLY wish it had a flavor and was drawn to it. I still am to this day. As well as Lugia being one of the best legendary Pokemon ever! <3

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • I'm only the second vote for Gold? :( Awe. It's my preference because I love Ho-Oh and preferred the design of the box art! Lugia has never appealed to me.

I voted gold too, I just prefer ho-oh and the box art

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    My preference is Gold, primarily because it's the version I played as my main game and have the most memories from. I also like the Gold exclusives better overall (Arcanine and Ariados, and I also really like bears, so Ursaring probably tops Donphan for me). I do wish Gold had Donphan as well, as it's a pretty good Pokemon and probably more useful combat-wise than Ursaring on the whole, even if I subjectively like Ursaring better. Since both Ho-oh and Lugia are available in both games, it doesn't really matter which one you get (especially if you factor in Stadium 2 to eliminate any disadvantages from missing out on moves on one bird vs. the other).

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Yeah, using stadium to get their exclusive attack is really handy ;*)
    Lugia is just really cool. Ho-oh reminded me a bit too much of Moltres, and there's still a bit of trauma attached to catching it in Blue.

Crystal's only disadvantage is the battery issue. So sad that.

Lance

Gold, in my opinion was the best cause Ho-Oh is just such a good Pokemon, lugia is still a good pokemon though.

And the cover art on the box really appealed to me, as well as being an original remake, and i loved the original. ♥

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    I think Silver had slightly better sprites. Then it all goes down to version exclusives; Gold = Ursaring. The badass bear. And silver had Donphan and Meowth, so it was easier to double your cash (Pay Day) on the SS Aqua, without grinding the league. And Silver had Skarmory, while Gold had Gligar. Urgh... Gligar. Skarmory every day.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i thought gold was a clear win but its not so clear. i'm glad my opinion is slightly more popular (statistically)

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I preferred Silver because I always had an affinity for Lugia. Kind of sucks the second gen gave more precedence to Ho-Oh and the legendary dogs but then again at least Lugia had its own movie. I would have loved to see a legendary birds and Lugia arc in Kanto to complement Ho-Oh and the dogs in Johto.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I preferred Silver because I always had an affinity for Lugia. Kind of sucks the second gen gave more precedence to Ho-Oh and the legendary dogs but then again at least Lugia had its own movie. I would have loved to see a legendary birds and Lugia arc in Kanto to complement Ho-Oh and the dogs in Johto.

That's something I've never liked, either, even if it was understandable. The remakes missed a huge opportunity in canonizing Lugia and the birds.

Back