• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphic-Wise...

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    From the course of time, I've played a lot of video games that seemed to be more graphically-oriented than have actual game-play 'weight'. Which video games stood out for you in terms of graphics? Do you consider graphics as an important factor of making great video games, or do you think other factors are more important?

For example, I thought that Donkey-Kong Jungle Beat had really nice graphics as a kind. Well, I still think it had some impressive graphics for that time too, and gameplay wise, I personally think it wasn't too bad! I honestly think that graphics are set as a standard of making video games, because good graphics can help gamers understand the functions of the video game properly, just to see what they're doing in them. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

Share any thoughts here! ^^

Years
    While it is lovely for graphics to be good, I think a game that is strong in other elements can justify having poor graphics. Storytelling would be the main factor I think that can overcome bad graphics.

As you'd expect the opposite is true as well. Since F1 2010 was released, the series has looked beautiful, but there have been an idiotic number of glitches in every release rendering it unplayable.

Spoiler:

On the plus side for F1, that is the only year release game I can think of that has bothered to improve the graphics. Black Ops 2 still runs on a similar engine to CoD4 and despite the five year gap, the graphics are pretty much the same.

I think the only way graphics can break a game is if they're of a really poor standard (e.g. it looks like it belongs on PS2, but it's a current game). I don't think they can make a game alone.

I would include some ideas from past gens, but I never really considered graphics as a child.

TY

Far Cry 3 had some awesome graphics, and a brilliant story. Everytime i was on a radio tower i stood there for a min or 10 just to look at the scenery... They did a great job making a aweome game graphic and gameplay wise

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    Graphics are important, but they don't cover up bad bugtesting or boring gameplay.

But you can have your cake and eat it too. Metorid Prime 1 is still one of the best looking games made and still the gold standard for Metroid titles.

Years
    I've been called a graphics-***** on more than one occasion >>

Seriously though, visual stimuli works magic on me, i'm a very visual person so good graphics mean a lot. They don't have to be realistic, Borderlands and Team Fortress 2 are cel-shaded yet I love their style. While I suppose they're not the important requirement, they really make the wow-factor for me. A game can be good, but good graphics make them super imo.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    At the top of my head, I can't really think of any games I've played which I've found appealing solely for the graphics rather than the gameplay, outside of all the shooters and sports games. I mean, games like CoD, Fifa, Top Spin, etc., all remain essentially the same with each new version that comes out. We see a new release of Fifa every year, and the main thing that makes each new game more appealing than the previous, is most likely the improved graphics. Of course they introduce certain new features and polish game mechanics and such, but there's not really any innovation in it. Same goes for the Call of Duty games, because while each game does bring a new story, it's not like the gameplay is much different. It's still just shooting up people.

One of the biggest example I think of, whose main selling point was its graphics, is Sonic '06. I mean the graphics were pretty good compared to certain other games of its time, but it was the only thing the game really had going for it. And while the graphics may not have helped the game when people discovered how buggy the game actually was, it was most likely still what made people excited for it.

Years
    For me, graphics are an important factor in a game, it just brings about a really nice feel to the game. In Skyrim, with high settings adjusted, the amount of attention to detail is just amazing. I think that in terms of graphics, Bethesda always spend the long wait between the TES games wisely. However, there are some areas in Skyrim where the graphics fail. This is shown when you are trying to climb up a mountain/cliff not using the path, but using the rocks, and the rock graphics are blurry in areas. But overall, the graphics are really nice in this game, and sometimes when I'm playing the game and the landscape looks particularly appealing, I like to look across the horizon and just adore the view.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Good visual presentation is a necessary and highly-contributing factor toward making a game good overall.
    However pretty the game looks, it should be consistent and clear. The player should never be confused at what is happening.

However, there are some areas in Skyrim where the graphics fail. This is shown when you are trying to climb up a mountain/cliff not using the path, but using the rocks, and the rock graphics are blurry in areas.
    Bethesda are just bad at doing rocks in general, in all their games which I have seen.

Last edited:

PixelWarrior

Conqueror of Castles
    Years
    I think a perfect example of what you're talking about here is Child Of Eden. If you look at some of the screenshots of the game, it contains a lot of bright lights, flashes, and other visually appealing scenes. Other than that, the game was pretty hollow and had no depth, level structure, or plot at all. I can't think of many other games that have extremely good graphics but lack devastatingly in other aspects, though, so thankfully it's a rare case.

Graphics are definitely a huge part of gaming, though, and can be a make-or-break factor for a game. Very few games can get by with below average graphics because of their outstanding plot/gameplay, and the small amount that do usually become famous for it. Case in point, solid graphics are important in any game and developers should put extra effort into improving their own creations in this department. I know I love it when a game looks nice and entertains me, haha.

Back