• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass in towns. What's your stance?

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    I agree most definitely that as long as they are not forced to go in it, it acts as a sort of graphical enhancement to show that not all town's have perfect mowed grass, especially if it is raining all the time. It makes it feel and look a little more life like.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    The way I see it is if it was a farm-like village, then it makes sense (it would add for some interesting Pokemon, such as Vulpix and Poochyena, due to the predators of farms being Foxes and Wolves)

But, if we are going by the principle of "natural", then you could have a bit in a park, for example, as that makes sense. Also, every town in real life has animals, be it rats, racoons that raid bins (that reminds me, someone could add a Zigzagoon event in that way...)

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well, there's no special force that prevents Pokemon from entering the towns and cities via the routes and grasslands. Of course you're going to stumble upon Pokemon in towns and cities, but it's just a little rarer. So, I support the idea of mild grass or just a few patches of grass with a low Pokemon counter rate. It just seems so fairly natural to me. Pokemon Ranger had wild Pokemon in the towns and cities. >:o

So yeah.. I do support the idea, but I've never really done it for myself.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    It doesn't make sense to. In a town or city, you rarely ever look to your left while driving and find very tall grass, especially where animals could hide. Many places have their grass cut and other things to make it look nice.

So apart from throwing real life situations into the world of Pokemon, it still wouldn't make sense. I don't see a bunch of Pokemon hiding in just a bit of grass in the corner of town, and a town wouldn't ever have grass all over the place, which in returns means no Pokemon.

Years
    Ah. Then yes, you would be correct. However, from what I can tell, it doesn't appear that there are any data for wild pokémon in Generation I either (I don't have a red ROM so I'm basing this off of a good 60 seconds of walking in that patch on my real cartridge). Plus, the grass is there because it continues onto Route 1. I think the OP was asking about 1) having completely isolated patches of grass; and 2) having wild pokémon in a town, both of which I have yet to see done in an official Pokémon game.

Isolated patches would be a pain... though I wouldn't mind if it were in some less traveled part of a large urban park, with some "urban" Pokemon being spotted there on rare occasions. But not just in random places all over town.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Towns/cities should be a place where people are safe from wild Pokémon. Putting grass in towns immediately voids that idea.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    In that case, then it's pretty much a filler and proves the mapper can't fill space properly.

Not really, if it adds to the atmosphere, it can be seen as something great. Like before, if we are going back to the common argument of real life, every town in real life has some long grass, especially little villages or farm towns.

Of course, that is my opinion, and that is yours, but if it adds to the whole "nature, jungle city" thing, then yeah. If it was a bustling town, then I'd agree with you more.

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
    Years
    Instead of wild pokemon grass town, maybe you can replace it with mini-grass? It can give the map a natural feeling :3

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I personally don't see a problem with it, as long as the player isn't forced to walk through it to get to houses.

Years
    I oppose this idea. Really, there is no need what-so-ever to have grass or wild pokemon in towns. As someone stated, towns and cities are places people can be safe from wild pokemon, and that completely goes against that idea. :/

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Towns are suppose to be safe heaven. I have been known to stop playing hacks that have Grass in towns

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    a small amount is fine in my opinion (just as long as your not forced to walk through it). who is going to stop a bird from walking around your front garden or on the outskirts of town.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I very much agree with colcolstyles.

People saying it adds a "natural" touch are very much forgetting that this is tall grass, not just grass. The basic ground tile is "grass". Tall grass...tall enough to hide little kids (ie. something like 0.5-1m, about 2 feet tall) I'd say is really quite rare in towns. I mean, even in foresty areas and stuff it's rare, but plausible. In towns, it's ridiculous.

And I don't think I've ever heard of 5-foot grass...

Years
    I very much agree with colcolstyles.

People saying it adds a "natural" touch are very much forgetting that this is tall grass, not just grass. The basic ground tile is "grass". Tall grass...tall enough to hide little kids (ie. something like 0.5-1m, about 2 feet tall) I'd say is really quite rare in towns. I mean, even in foresty areas and stuff it's rare, but plausible. In towns, it's ridiculous.

And I don't think I've ever heard of 5-foot grass...

5-foot grass is quite common in open areas around where I live, as long as those areas are rural. They're also quite common in wooded areas, but, again, only if the area's fairly rural.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Supposedly speaking, If someone put a patch in a City/Town and treaded it with fence (making it a yard), and then having an event around it, then I'd accept, otherwise no.

Also, I want to clear out two things (imo). Whoever said that Towns/Cities should not have wild pokemon in them are wrong, tell that to headbutt/surf/fishing inside those areas. Secondly, putting up tall grass and not including battles in it isn't recommended, not aesthetic in any way. It's like, losing its purpose as a tile.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    Hmmm, if it has a very good reason, grass in towns could work. Like, in the outskirts of a small village, it could fit right in. But not in cities, they would cut it.

Years
    Well, in that case, why not just make these outskirts routes? I can't really seem the point.

The only plausible reason so far is the abandoned town, but in that case it can hardly be considered a 'safe spot' anyway (because if it were abanadoned, there would be no clerks or Nurse Joys, would there?), so it would effectively be a route (or place of interest, like the Ruins of Alph) regardless.

Back