• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grinding, Grinding, Grinding...

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
  • Rift really put me off grinding. I try to avoid any game with massive amounts of grinding. Anything under 12 hours is usually okay for me though.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • 12 hours of gameplay or 12 hours of grinding? =D

12 hours of grinding. 12 hours of doing the same thing over and over when I really dont want to because I feel I have to. My keyboard thanks me as well, no more 444444444 spam for hours while I roll my eyes and watch a tiny bar fill up.

Years
  • It's funny how some people say grinding doesn't advance the story, but they don't mind playing a billion matches online on shooters and moba's xD

I myself don't find it boring, I always do it when I reach a new city. In JRPG I use to grind until I have the money to buy everything I want in the shops. In Pokemon, it's whenever I catch a new pokémopn for the team or need to teach a new move.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    How well do you like grinding in video games in general?
    I hate the concept in its entirety but it doesn't affect me that much because I can easily turn my brain off and just mash buttons. I've had to do it quite a few times when I was walled in Dragon Quest.

Do you have a game where you enjoy to grind? What video games do you not like to grind?
    I don't think there'll ever be a game where grinding is fun. There are certainly games where grinding isn't as big of an issue due to fun combat mechanics, but everything becomes a bore if you do it enough times in succession.

What do you think on grinding in general? Feel free to share all thoughts on this!
    It's just an awful thing to do because it discourages strategic gameplay and messes with the difficulty curve of the game. You're only hurting your own enjoyment of the game if you grind too much.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really hate grinding. Especially in games where I can't just button mash (like I can in Pokemon) to grind, I have to pay some attention (Fire Emblem).

There was this point in Devil Survivor 2 where I was playing newgame+ and the boss was lv 86 and my demons were in the lv 20s and I was supposed to grind for cash but the higher level demons costed like $20-40k depending on how good and since I only got like $2k per skirmish if I was lucky I just hacked the game and gave myself max money lol. I would rather do stuff like than grind for excessive periods of time. I'm extremely lazy ;~;

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I really hate grinding. Especially in games where I can't just button mash (like I can in Pokemon) to grind, I have to pay some attention (Fire Emblem).

There was this point in Devil Survivor 2 where I was playing newgame+ and the boss was lv 86 and my demons were in the lv 20s and I was supposed to grind for cash but the higher level demons costed like $20-40k depending on how good and since I only got like $2k per skirmish if I was lucky I just hacked the game and gave myself max money lol. I would rather do stuff like than grind for excessive periods of time. I'm extremely lazy ;~;
    That's why you were supposed to fuse demons and not buy them xD

Years
  • Most games I play I end up grinding. Now weather if it is enjoyable or not is a whole other story, games like Disgaea is 95% grinding but I enjoy it for the most part. Other games like, just off the top of my head, Magical Starsign you really dont have to grind unless your going through the secret dungeon and I hated it. Really just a game by game bases.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Earthbound.

I had to kill so many Runaway Dogs and Punks before I had a chance against Frank and his damn robot ;_; I basically had to wait till I had PSI Rockin Alpha so I could beat them.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Grinding is that boring bad thing that comes before the victory. It could be compared to training before the battle or studying before the examination. At the end, whether you become victorious or get your degree, it should be worth the effort you took. Sometimes, in games where as you progress you get to higher levels and the rewards get bigger, grinding at the start to get the costliest item seems kind of pointless. It is a worthy goal when you're about to finish the game, though. All the games I've played, whether by myself or with my brother, I've always found myself grinding a lot. If I feel good about it, I go on to finish the game. But if I feel I'm doing too much, then I get bored and just leave the game. Grinding is, therefore, inevitable in deciding the entertainment level of a game. Grinding is also one of the few reasons why games are played over a long span of time. I personally have an overall good experience with grinding, so I should say I don't mind it as it also gives me experience with the game.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • That's why you were supposed to fuse demons and not buy them xD

I calculated it and it would cost more money to constantly buy low level demons in order to fuse lv80+ demons that you needed to beat lv lv80+ newgame+ bosses than to buy 2 of my old ones back and fuse them to the same demons. It's worth it for the nice skills anyway.

I was thinking about it today and I realized that whenever I grind enough to be able to beat a boss, I generally don't even feel that accomplished, mostly frustration. I just don't have the patience for it. I could hack the game and get myself +5-10 levels and spend 2 hours advancing in the game, or I could spend those 2 hours +5-10 levels. I know it's bad and lazy but I just haaate grinding ~_~

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    How well do you like grinding in video games in general?

I seriously enjoy grinding, to be honest. I tend to play RPGs, so most of my time gaming is spent grinding-either to advance or be overpowered, usually both. Whether it's grinding battles or tasks i'm usually up for it. The reason I enjoy MMOs so much is partially due to the level of grinding that is available, and often required. In fact, I was sort of disappointed that farming monsters is pointless in FFXIV, outside of FATEs. I blast music in my headphones, focus on staying engaged, and enjoy the experience.

Do you have a game where you enjoy to grind? What video games do you not like to grind?
    World of Warcraft was a fun game to grind. I spent a LOT of time doing repetitive battling and dungeon runs, and had fun. I did an insane amount of grinding while playing Sacred 2, leveling and gaining loot to the point where I had two shadow warriors on the Xbox Live leaderboards. Really, in that game once you beat the main story all you are doing is grinding. Recently, i've been enjoying grinding in White Knight Chronicles, which does require a lot of grinding for full completion.

What do you think on grinding in general? Feel free to share all thoughts on this!

I am aware grinding is generally frowned upon, or even hated with a passion. However, there is a sort of niche for this type of gameplay. Many games are artificially lengthened by grinding but, then again, it's still gameplay just not varied at that point. Also, grinding to get something done makes you feel like you truly earned that win. I'd rather have to at least grind for a long enough time to feel I earned something, than to go from area to area, boss to boss demolishing everything in my path with no grinding. I may be old school or in the minority, but if I did not grind at some point to beat this enemy or prior to facing this enemy and i beat him easily or even with moderate challenge, I feel like the game is too easy.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I usually grind the most in games like Final Fantasy. If not, then it becomes harder for me to advance any further. I do the same in Kingdom Hearts as well. I try to do it as much as I can to make sure I'm strong enough to advance. I don't play much games other than Pokemon though.

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
    Years
  • To be honest grinding out crafting classes in Final Fantasy 14 is one of the reasons I quit. It was so boring and I was obsessive about have a max every level account. Ultimately I overplayed that game and got bored quicker then I should have. But the elitist and trolls didn't help either. Thats why I've been enjoying single player games so much lately.

I dislike grinding that exist in many MMO games and Battlefield/COD. Not that I would ever play COD these days but the fact your have to grind a bit to get the guns the way you want, then loose them to prestige is just a grind fest of the same thing over and over.

Back