• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leaders Hope, Speculation & Discussion

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    To be honest I would of preferred a Rotation or Triple battle VS the Fire/Water/Grass gym. Since you get an elemental monkey before the gym.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • DARK TYPE GYM! Like, it's WAY overdue... We can skip an Electric Type gym (we did in Generation II) and have a Dark Type gym instead.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Thinking back to other generations, I'd like the Gyms to have a personal connection to the trainer. Not so much as having a relative be a Gym Leader, but like how in Kanto, the final gym brought us full circle by bringing us back to the first city and its Gym Leader was revealed to be a reoccurring antagonist and defeating him tied up the Team Rocket story. The next generation had the final Kanto Gym Leader be someone not connected to the trainer, but definitely to the player. I remember having an immense desire to beat Blue once I realized he was the Viridian Gym Leader, not because of my GenII adventure, but because of the connection I had to the character from GenI.

Reactions: Nah

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • I like how most of the ideas that aren't centered on a singular type are meant to increase difficulty lol.

Yes, I think what people just want the most is to feel challenged by the game once again. It's gotten to the point it's too easy. As somebody else said, type-advantages are like second nature for veteran players, and picked up pretty easily by new ones. Maybe another mechanic in there to increase the difficulty wouldn't be a bad idea.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Maybe , We will get Gym-leader who specialize on Theme instate of type.
    Example : A Music themed Gym where A Female Gym-leader use Sound/Music based pokemon.

I'm interested to see any female gym-leader around Ash's age! Since the female playable character design aren't that great So I'm interest to see any Female gym-leader who cute enough to be Ash's next traveling companion.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I would love to have themed typed gyms. But it won't increase difficulty, just fresh.

The types I am expecting though are Water, Fire, Flying, Steel, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Dark. I think this would be the best time to have a Dark Gym leader with the Moon being the theme. And to be, Fire, Water and Flying are given due to it being in Hawaii.

I would love if they used Double/Trimple Battles. Rotation I don't think should be used, because those are just time consuming and hardly make a difference. However, Reversal battle would make a gym hard for veterans who are perfect with types weaknesses. I actually struggled with Reversal battles and found it hard to learn them.

ZangooseClaw

Pokemon Philosopher
    Years
  • I could see a mixup including something other than type, but including stats could be too tricky for new players. Themes on the other hand would switch up the routine for veterans as well as entice entice new players, so utilizing a tropical setting like Hawaii has limitless options.

Bringing up the smaller map is a good point but both XY & ORAS really utilized underground and sea areas to increase the play area. I'm looking forward to Gym design, structure, location, & puzzles because I don't see too far, if any, a shift from the original 8-4 recipe.

caminferno30

Ice Master
    Years
  • I hope that the gym leaders have jobs that are connected to their type and you see them doing their job either before/after you defeat them. Like if a grass type gym leader works in a garden. Then, you can talk to them at the garden where they work. They might even give you a berry or two. It would just be awesome if their were more gymleader-player interaction.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Something I'd like to see Gym Leaders have is more tactical held items for their team. I know it's unlikely given that X/Y were made significantly easier to target younger audiences, but having Pokemon that would benefit from items that give a slight boost i.e Quick Claw, Air Balloon, Life Orb would be nice.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    I still think the gyms need to follow a theme but I am getting sick of all the gyms following the same typing theme. Need something like a snake theme, cat theme, ect so that you dont just bring one pokemon in and sweep. Would also fix the issue of the fire type usually being the worst type to pick in the beginning because the first gym has almost always been rock which is resistant to fire. Oh and elite 4 need to have an battle item ban. Hate seeing them use full restore and hate it being so easy because I can just use max revive. After battle sure but during battle it should be treated just like wifi.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Something I'd like to see Gym Leaders have is more tactical held items for their team. I know it's unlikely given that X/Y were made significantly easier to target younger audiences, but having Pokemon that would benefit from items that give a slight boost i.e Quick Claw, Air Balloon, Life Orb would be nice.

I think that should only happen once in rematches. Let's say all the gym leaders were rematchable, so when you go ahead and get to that point they're going to be much stronger. Probably the only way I see them throwing that in because as it is it's great for every trainer to easily beat them and continue on their journey.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • ^ Fair point, but Gym Leaders themselves are supposed to be challenging; if they are the strongest trainers in a given city/town (they almost always are). It would make sense to actually make the battles feel more like a challenge instead of making the Gym Leader pretty much battle-incompetent. Even Leftovers would be better than nothing.
    Exactly. It's weird that a Gym Leader is weaker than a regular Trainer from two Routes ahead. Obviously, from a video game standpoint it makes sense with the level curve and all, but at the least, the Gym Leaders should be smarter than regular Trainers.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Didn't read up to see if someone already said this idea but, I'm hoping the Gym Leaders are all stationed on their own "island", because I still feel that the 'map' we saw was only one island of many we will be visiting. As for types, we NEED a Dark Gym, and a viciously threatening fire gym.

I almost want the gym leaders to be near broken power wise to give a good challenge since they always seem to just get run through. Whitney and Flannery aside.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Didn't read up to see if someone already said this idea but, I'm hoping the Gym Leaders are all stationed on their own "island", because I still feel that the 'map' we saw was only one island of many we will be visiting. As for types, we NEED a Dark Gym, and a viciously threatening fire gym.

I almost want the gym leaders to be near broken power wise to give a good challenge since they always seem to just get run through. Whitney and Flannery aside.

I can see a Fire gym leader as the last, or as the seven again. Maybe to celebrate the 20th anniversary the gym types will be the same as Kanto, but rearranged for the most part, and perhaps with Dark replacing Psychic (or at least in one version).

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • ^ Fair point, but Gym Leaders themselves are supposed to be challenging; if they are the strongest trainers in a given city/town (they almost always are). It would make sense to actually make the battles feel more like a challenge instead of making the Gym Leader pretty much battle-incompetent. Even Leftovers would be better than nothing.

Yup, this. I need to feel a challenge. I don't know about you but it's almost a disappointment OHKOing a gym leader's strongest Pokemon. Just doesn't feel right. I wanna maybe LOSE a couple battles through-out the game.

Also, letting the gym leaders use held items and what not wouldn't increase the difficulty of the game to the point younger players wouldn't be able to play.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Gym leaders would need higher IV and EV trained pokemons too to make them a bit more harder.

Back