• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
  • This has been on hold for a while. Is it worth it? I loved the art (dat backgrounds omg <3) and (some of) the characters, but the narrative was a little bit to slice-of-life-ish for my taste D:

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • This has been on hold for a while. Is it worth it? I loved the art (dat backgrounds omg <3) and (some of) the characters, but the narrative was a little bit to slice-of-life-ish for my taste D:
    I really like how the narrative is driven. It seems slice-of-life at first but it's really a simple tale of adventurers discovering themselves in a new world. It's not like say DanMachi where the plot is overtly established; I would say that Grimgar's story is driven by its characters and their interactions which sets it apart from the usual action fantasy shows like Log Horizon or Sword Art Online where the plot, despite being presented in fancy and with often tacky embellishments, is crystallized into Man vs Man/Nature/etc. The show's simplicity is refreshing imo and the music and art helps. So yes, I'd say you should give it a chance. :3

Last edited:

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I really like how the narrative is driven. It seems slice-of-life at first but it's really a simple tale of adventurers discovering themselves in a new world. It's not like say DanMachi where the plot is overtly established; I would say that Grimgar's story is driven by its characters and their interactions which sets it apart from the usual action fantasy shows like Log Horizon or Sword Art Online where the plot, despite being presented in fancy and with often tacky embellishments, is crystallized into Man vs Man/Nature/etc. The show's simplicity is refreshing imo and the music and art helps. So yes, I'd say you should give it a chance. :3

Exactly what I needed to know. You rock.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    I like this anime, it shows a new point of view on the "trapped in a fantasy world" plot.
    There are more details about their daily lives and routines, more about their struggles to adapt to it, more about how they try to live on evading despair.

Although I like all of this, I'd like to know more about that world, from the point of view of someone who has lived there for a long time. Every person there has come from another world, even the old ones, or some are natives? When did that strange event begin? Who were the first world-crossing people? What do they all have in common? Isn't there someone researching the cause of all this?
    I think it feels unnatural seeing that no one seems to care about these important questions.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Although I like all of this, I'd like to know more about that world, from the point of view of someone who has lived there for a long time. Every person there has come from another world, even the old ones, or some are natives? When did that strange event begin? Who were the first world-crossing people? What do they all have in common? Isn't there someone researching the cause of all this?
    I think it feels unnatural seeing that no one seems to care about these important questions.
    They really should answer some of these questions, tbh.

Though I'm sure there are characters out there in Grimgar's world who are researching it/thinking about some of the important stuff you mentioned. We just haven't been shown their perspective - we've only been following this group of rookies who've had it tough just barely surviving each day. That explains any lack of questioning on their part - they're too busy trying to just live to see the light of the next day to wonder about the status of humanity in that world or the previous one.

Some more insight into the world would be nice, yes. But I have a feeling that this series would save all that kind of stuff for future reveals. Doesn't seem like this season will really go into these questions at all. Here's to hope it does, though. At least the final episode should divulge some info, if not all of it.

Not that it'll affect my opinion of the series - I like it a lot. And will continue to do so even if it continues the way it is going right now.

Though I have to say this - the latest episode was slow even by Grimgar's standards. I mean, come on. That was so slow even a usually patient watcher like me had to go "oh my god please move or do something. SOMETHING!!" XD; The Haru x Mary moment was nice. But the scene that leads upto it was super awkward. Haru knows about Mary's issues and understands her YET goes on and on about how they should go to the mine. It felt really...weird. Heard the LN readers say that they changed the scene in the anime. That kinda explains it but ehh, it still left a weird aftertaste.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I'd ask those questions if this was Log Horizon, because that anime essentially tackles those questions, but Grimgar differs in the sense that it has a kishōtenketsu narrative structure so it just seems out of character for the series to delve into the macro stuff when it has already established that it's heavily micro-focused.

Pacing lulled a notch in the ninth episode though it picked back up and went back to the usual action that we've seen, in the tenth episode.
    Spoiler:

Back