• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years

• Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
    Why are we here? Why are we doing this?

Before Haruhiro had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here? Where was here? Even now, he still didn't know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game.

In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar. What awaits him there, he doesn't know...

This the story of an adventure born from the ashes.

Type: TV
    Episodes: Unknown
    Aired: Jan 11, 2016 to ?
    Premiered: Winter 2016
    Broadcast: Mondays at 00:30 (JST)
    Producers: Toho Company
    Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment
    Studios: A-1 Pictures
    Source: Light novel
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
    Duration: Unknown
    Rating: None

Spoiler: Cast and Crew

Cast:

TRAILERS
    Spoiler:

77535l.jpg

Last edited:

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • After SAO and Gate, they decided to adapt a light novel that is basically both of them at the same time lol

I'm in.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I'm gonna give this a go. The premise is interesting, to say the least. Just hoping it ends up taking the Log Horizon route with more action. Or somehow manages to be fun like Danmachi. Crossed fingers!

derozio

Years
  • The first episode was okay. The background art is really interesting, though - looks very different from your run of the mill background art. Unique doesn't always mean good but this still turned out to be a nice change of pace, at least for me. :p

The story's got my attention at least. Don't expect greatness but I hope it turns out to be an entertaining ride, if nothing else.

derozio

Years
  • I've seen two episodes so far. And I've liked whatever I've seen. It is a slice-of-life-y series with some extremely brutal scenes that highlight the gravity of the situations that these fantasy settings usually would place the characters in. It is a kill-or-be-killed world. And the "monsters" that characters kill - people don't usually bat an eye while the killing takes place. All that matters are the spoils of the encounter. But episode two made it abundantly clear that this series is taking a different route - it made the "killing" of the "random monster" a brutal affair - it was very uncomfortable to watch. Both the parties were struggling. The characters were struggling because they had to kill something - something that actually was struggling and trying its hardest to live.

If for nothing else, I'm in for the ride due to it having that kind of a scene. You don't really see it in anime often.
    Anyway, will watch ep 3 soon and report back with my impressions!

The first episode was okay, but the fan-service got on my nerves very quickly. I also enjoy the characters being complete rookies and not having some plot-solver of a power... although for all I know that might change. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    But was it really all that explicit? Nothing felt too overdone, tbh. Fanservice was there, yes, but not to the point it'd tick me off. Might just be our difference in tolerance for this stuff, though.

Years
  • I gotta say I was immensely bored with the first two episodes...
    Like... this isn't what I signed up for...
    I thought it would be anime about characters, not about Gobchans.

Oh I totally agree. Which was why I initially dropped reading it almost a year ago. But now that I actually went ahead and slogged through, it does have a lot of character development once stuff happens.

Years
  • Naw, should be around episode 4 or so.

But there really isn't any "massive OP powerup" that goes on. Heck even the latest Trans haven't really gotten them far. They are basically the dregs of the summoned folk anyway.

derozio

Years
  • I gotta say I was immensely bored with the first two episodes...
    Like... this isn't what I signed up for...
    I thought it would be anime about characters, not about Gobchans.
    But that's what separates it from your average anime! That these goblins that are being ganged up on and killed - these creatures that are merely being killed for the humans' survival in the harsh world of Grimgar - are all beings that actually have lives like humans. They cook food, they live in a community, they wear clothes, they have their form of currency, they work in co-ordination - you name it. They're human in all but their appearances and name. And language, if you want more differences.

The fact that they're being concentrated on - that we're being shown that they are living, breathing creatures who struggle to live in that harsh world just like humans do - that's what makes the series so interesting! And that makes the scenes where they catch them off-guard and gang up to kill them really uncomfortable to watch.

I don't know, man. I really like this interesting take on the setting. It isn't boring since it feels like a real world that could exist - a harsh place which is kill or be killed. Complete with its slow moments - moments of peace and calm along with moments of brutality that the characters have to go through to survive.

The anime might be slow but I'll have to hand it the fact that it definitely isn't lacking in how confidently it is going with its pacing. It isn't trying to rush things and taking things at its own pace. Might alienate a lot of viewers but I have a feeling that content that comes later will definitely more than make up for it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • But that's what separates it from your average anime! That these goblins that are being ganged up on and killed - these creatures that are merely being killed for the humans' survival in the harsh world of Grimgar - are all beings that actually have lives like humans. They cook food, they live in a community, they wear clothes, they have their form of currency, they work in co-ordination - you name it. They're human in all but their appearances and name. And language, if you want more differences.

The fact that they're being concentrated on - that we're being shown that they are living, breathing creatures who struggle to live in that harsh world just like humans do - that's what makes the series so interesting! And that makes the scenes where they catch them off-guard and gang up to kill them really uncomfortable to watch.

I don't know, man. I really like this interesting take on the setting. It isn't boring since it feels like a real world that could exist - a harsh place which is kill or be killed. Complete with its slow moments - moments of peace and calm along with moments of brutality that the characters have to go through to survive.

The anime might be slow but I'll have to hand it the fact that it definitely isn't lacking in how confidently it is going with its pacing. It isn't trying to rush things and taking things at its own pace. Might alienate a lot of viewers but I have a feeling that content that comes later will definitely more than make up for it.
    You definitely raise great points but...
    It's just not for me, I guess...
    I'm not really interested in watching "Daily Lives of level 3 zako mobs"... Dunno, games made me apathetic to low level monsters, unless it's boss, it's just annoyance =D

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I just watched the first three episodes in one sitting and wow this show is quite a winter gem. I love how the context is a bit reminiscent of Log Horizon with the exception that they have no memories of the "human world" (if it still exists). The visuals and the music have been really enthralling and aptly used to flesh out the world.

It's also interesting to note the use of gore (in the goblin fight scenes) that makes everything realistic, and in a way, more terrifying and gripping.

As for episode 4,
    Spoiler:

Also HaruhiroxManato OTP |D;;

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Oh my god episode four.

It was so emotionally raw and intense... Props to Shihoru's VA... her cry was so pure and real, it gave me chills. And the music, oh gosh. The ending sequence
    Spoiler:
    was such an amazing touch.

Back