• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Hands' Gen 2 styled Sprite thread

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Hi all

Firstly, massive props to Pia Carrot who inspired me to get back into Gen 2 styled spriting after I saw their Gen 2 work (which you can find at this thread here so check it out if you haven't already)

I've only got through 4 of the Gen 7s. Planning on doing a few from Gen 4 and 5 too at some point, will take suggestions/requests on Gen 3-5 Pokemon.

So, onto the main stuff

ezimba13145365050800.gif

It's Litten, Gumshoos, Sandcastle big and Sandcastle small (I dunno what to even call these, kinda thought they were Alolan Grimer/Muk when I saw them)

Constructive criticism and comments greatly appreciated

Update

Gen 7

ezimba14901017501100.gif

Gen 6

ezimba14901041468500.gif

Gen 3-5

ezimba13145329874700.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
These are neat! Very good representation of the 2nd gen style. I've always loved that sorta derpy, "not quite like the Sugimori drawing" appeal that the 2nd gen sprites had, and I think you captured that very well - in a good way! I'm not on my computer so I can't really give you any in-depth criticisms, but the little sandcastle guy should be facing the other direction. That's all for now! I hope you decide to make more of these, they're really cool! 8)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
These are neat! Very good representation of the 2nd gen style. I've always loved that sorta derpy, "not quite like the Sugimori drawing" appeal that the 2nd gen sprites had, and I think you captured that very well - in a good way! I'm not on my computer so I can't really give you any in-depth criticisms, but the little sandcastle guy should be facing the other direction. That's all for now! I hope you decide to make more of these, they're really cool! 8)

Thanks for the comment :)

Yeah, the pose for lil Sandy was an area of concern from the start, I wanted to differentiate him from the bigger one but with a limited space and palette it was a bit of a challenge, so I tried to do a reverse-facing pose like Larvitar and Misdreavus have in gen 2 but it didn't go to plan haha. I'll redo him eventually and make a new pose.

Got a few updates today, three I done yesterday and one I've just finished

ezimba13145329874700.gif

Tangrowth and Vigaroth. Tangrowth is using Marril's palette, it looks weird on my work monitor, but I think that's technical.

ezimba14901041468500.gif

Carbink, which was done on said monitor, so I'm not sure how the actual palette comes across haha

ezimba13145367464500.gif

And the lil sea cucumber (I forget its name). Not a massive fan of it's design but I really like the innards out aspect, which I tried to reflect in the sprite

Additional Update:

ezimba14901068477100.gif

Just got done with this little guy. For a ball shaped Pokemon he was surprisingly hard. Considering doing Poplio next.

First Post updated.

Update on the update

ezimba14901048814000.gif

Just realised I used 5 colours in the first Rowlet when for Gen 2 style there should only be 4, as such, here's the gen 2 proper version.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Little update:

Some Hoenn dex critters today

ezimba13145327543700.gif

Glalie, one of my fave pokemon.

and

ezimba14901045708200.gif

Slakoth, will hopefully finish his line this week.

Years
Hey, these are pretty good! You've captured the limited palette well.

I think you should give yourself more canvas room to work with. You'll have less room to explore different poses, and that could also lead into losing readability. The Pyukumuku for example has the perfect palette, but because of the pose, I almost couldn't tell. The hand is well done! But overall, it's hard to tell it was Pyukumuku. Maybe if the hand wasn't directly in front of the face, maybe we could read some of the face and recognize it faster.

I think the Rowlett is in the best direction - recognizable instantly and a pretty good pose that shows how it stands. It looks like the most confident piece that shows a firm standing pose and that it isn't too small. It looks the closet to G/S/C style sprites in overall pose, confidence in shape and lines, and palette choice.

I'm down to seeing more of your work! It'd be interesting to see what pokemon you do next and how they will look! You seem to get the palettes just right, so it's pretty convincing. c:
Nice job, yo!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Hey, these are pretty good! You've captured the limited palette well.

I think you should give yourself more canvas room to work with. You'll have less room to explore different poses, and that could also lead into losing readability. The Pyukumuku for example has the perfect palette, but because of the pose, I almost couldn't tell. The hand is well done! But overall, it's hard to tell it was Pyukumuku. Maybe if the hand wasn't directly in front of the face, maybe we could read some of the face and recognize it faster.

I think the Rowlett is in the best direction - recognizable instantly and a pretty good pose that shows how it stands. It looks like the most confident piece that shows a firm standing pose and that it isn't too small. It looks the closet to G/S/C style sprites in overall pose, confidence in shape and lines, and palette choice.

I'm down to seeing more of your work! It'd be interesting to see what pokemon you do next and how they will look! You seem to get the palettes just right, so it's pretty convincing. c:
Nice job, yo!

Heya Anastasia

Thanks very much for the kind words and helpful tips, I see what you mean about the size (looking at Carbink and Glalie compared to my Vigaroth and Rowlet the problem becomes very obvious) so I will look into amending that and using some more of that 54x54 area in future. I think part of my problem is I know there's a small size limit so I end up over restricting my space.

I had a crack at redoing Pyukumuku following your tips

ezimba14901087744700.gif

Is this more the kind of pose you were getting at?

Many thanks again for the comment and suggestions :)

MandL27

Proud Procrastinator
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 24, 2021
Looking cool so far!
I do have a bit of an idea for future sprites: Maybe you could show a bit of their element in the sprite, like some RB sprites did?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Looking cool so far!
I do have a bit of an idea for future sprites: Maybe you could show a bit of their element in the sprite, like some RB sprites did?

Like a little bit of fire coming out of something like Pyroar's mouth? Yeah that could be really cool :)

Got a quick update for those who haven't seen it, my favourite legendary

ezimba13145390817400.gif

One I'm currently working on:

ezimba14901011492500.gif

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
ezimba14901064431400.gif

Today's update is Aggron, I'm pretty pleased with how this guy turned out! What pokemon would people like to see next? (No Megas!)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
ezimba13145399851700.gif

Today's update, Regirock.

Let me know what you think

Back