• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters
    Years
    So far I've got 6 badges and the hardest gym leader I've come across was Lenora, her Watchog just basically annihilated me. So since then I've been more prepared for the gyms which is why I think I havent found a real challenge yet.

Years
    Because I overlevelled before all gym challenges, I didn't find any of them ridiculously hard. I didn't need to reset my DS just in case I lost, or even saved before the battle (like I usually do and everybody really should do always.)

I guess I was just confident, so I didn't find any of them any difficult than the other. But on another note, Skyla was definitely the easiest gym leader I faced, with Elesa coming a pretty close second.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Lenora as the level is quite high for that stage of the game and you need to grind and/or get fighting pokemon or use rocksmash.

I will further the Lenora votes.

Her Pokemon are quite high compared to everything around her. It almost seems like she's balanced for doing after the Pinwheel Forest bit with Team Plasma.

Not to mention, she pretty much has a guaranteed KO on any non-Roggenrola Pokemon at that point with Retaliate after you take out Herdier.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I've only three badges in so far, and I found Lenora to be quite hard. I mean that Herdier of hers is a Take Down spammer, and a strong one at that, and Watchog is just ew Retaliation. I had to copy her strategy and pretty much kill my Cut Slave Purrloin and Retaliate back with Minccino.

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    Iris for sure. Didn't have anything super effective against dragons at that point, so took quite a beating from the trainers in there as well. But managed to pull through and win, so it's all good. xD

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i would have to say elesa is the hardest gym leader...i am currently fighting her in my white game and i keep loosing

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    The Volt Switch spammer Elesa. I hate Emolga with passion.
    Lenora and her Retaliate was a pain too.

My wife traded me a Gigalith with Stealth Rock for them. Hehe, they died easily.

Aside from that one trade, I caught everything else I own, and I basically went through and choice the dual-types that would be the best for my team. I have a Grass-Steel, Fire-Fighting, Dark-Ground, Water-Ground(will be replaced w/Rock), Psychic-Flying, and Bug-Electric. I always made sure I never had 2 of the exact same types, nor any mono-types after the first gym. They were all easy in the end.

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    The Volt Switch spammer Elesa. I hate Emolga with passion.
    Lenora and her Retaliate was a pain too.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I managed to beat her on my first try, but it was only due to using Revives and Hyper Potions. I finally managed to predict a switch and burn one of them, and after she Volt Switched to her Zebstrika, I KO'd it with Excadrill's Earthquake (or dig...it was one of the two).

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
    The only trouble I had was Cilan.

Lillipup + Work Up = L+R+Select+Start

I was at the same exact lvl as his pkmn, but after grinding a little bit, I beat him easily. After that, I've gotten used to grinding and being at a higher lvl than what was recommended. It was pretty much smooth sailing right from the start, but now Lillipup will forever have a sour taste in my mouth... lol

Urhungry

Lover of Leavanny
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2012
    I found Elsea hardest, but I haven't attempted gyms 7 or 8 yet. I just happened to have a team of Simipour(useless on electric), Whilipede(Okay here) and once evolved Snivy (I forget it's name). With the Emolgas being part flying and Zebstrika knowing a fire type move all of my Pokemon had a type disadvantage. Still, I only lost once.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Lenora is nothing but trouble for me. Who would have thought that the Audino are good experience farms for a reason? Oh, and I wasted a lot of Super Potions.

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
    Years
    I didn't have any problems with any of the leaders lol, I breezed right through them. Many people have problems with Drayden or Iris because of there Dragons, But me being a Dragon Type Expert..I know how to deal with them without fail :)

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Having now completed the eight gyms, I'm sticking with Elesa.

Iris, I expected to be harder. Heck, I had more trouble with some of the trainers in her gym. Each of Iris's dragons only needed two hits from my Duosion's Hidden Power to knock them out. And then it evolved into Reuniclus, which I considered to be better than getting the badge. :p

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2011
    In my first playthrough of White( japanese version) I pretty much used all of my pokemon in gym battles, and I feel Elesa was the hardest. I mean, Emolga and Volt Switch is one thing, but AERIAL ACE? DAMN!

And Iris was not really TOO tough( at least when you use all 6 members of your team). I must say, my first playthrough had a bad lineup actually. Wehn I think about it, most of my wins happened because of my Throh! He's just so awesome, bide will just kill those pokemon and besides that, the attacks you can teach him are just wonderful. Plus my Throh had a special defence boosting nature! :D

Anyways, I'm going to list my recent Pokemon Black(English) Playthrough. I use the same number of pokemon as the gym leader does in each match:

Gym 1- Cilan

Pokemon- Lvl 12-14 Oshawott and Lilipup

No.of tries: 2

On my first try Pansage kept using work up and my Lilpup had low defence. He got knocked out in two hits. Oshawott DID deal with Cilan's Lilipup but... I think we know what'll happen here.

Then I had a rematch with Lillipup at a higher lvl now, say 14? Well, that was it, I won.

Gym 2- Lenora

Pokemon- Lvl 17 Herdier, Lvl 18 Roggenrola

No.of tries- 2

Ok, my first try was pretty unlucky atually. My herdier almost KO'ed her Herdier but Take Down recoil was too much to take. The my WTF moment- Roggenrola uses Rockblasst, misses, gets crunched but ok damage, then does another rock blast, which does a CRITICAL HIT! Watchog ALMOST faints and then it gets a critical hit with crunch! Roggenrola fainted.

The second time I had luck on my side. Herdier first criticals with Take Down to KO Lenora's Herdier, then Roggenrola just Rock Blasts Watchog out of the stadium.

Gym 3- Burgh

No. of Tries- 1

It was pretty cool actually. First Roggenrola takes down Whirlipede with ease, then Leavann comes out and KO's my Herdier and Dewott with ease, THEN my roggenrola takes a razor leaf hit with minimum damage and KO's his Leavanny, and finally KO's his Dwebble. Awesome..

Gym 4- Elesa
    No.of Tries- 10+???

Pokemon used- Herdier, Roggenrola, Darumaka

Horrible. Just Horrible. I tried to use my Roggenrola to take down at least one of the Emolga, but they just keep using VOLT SWITCH! I dont want Roggenrola to faint because it also gets a lvl up and evolves, and if it faints and I lose the battle, it pretty tough, cause I miss Power Gem( I dunno why but I wanted it even if it sucked) and another lvl to evolve it.

Finally, I hit succes and killed an emolga which switched in with rock blast, then used Herdier and kept feeding it potions till it slammed Zebstrika( first weakened by Darumaka, who fainted afterwards) and then somehow managed to kick emolga in the end.

Gym 5- Clay

No.of tries-3

Pokemon used- Scraggy( KO'd all three pokemon), Dewott and Darumaka were on the bench

Ok the first two times I restarted because I wanted my Scraggy to not hurt itself in confusion. :P But anyways, the third time was awesome, first I KO'd Krokorok, then Moxie comes into affect, then KO'd Palpitoad with Brick Beak again, and another Moxie, then its out of confusion, Excadrill uses hone claws and Scraggy KO's Excadrill in one hit. A clean sweep I say!

Gym 6- Skyla

No.of tries- 1
    Pokemon used- Joltik, Darmanitan(was on the bench actually. :O) and Boldore.

Ok so Joltik KO'd Swoobat and then Swana with Electro ball. Oh, and then Boldore just finished off Unfezant with one Rock Blast.

Gym 7- eh, what was his name again?

Pokemon used- Scraggy sweeped them anyways, Boldore and Darmanitan on bench.
    No.of tries- 3

Kinda the same thing with Gym 5. Killed Vanillish but then Beartic comes in and uses swaggers, which confuses Scraggy and I get annoyed and restart. Anyways, on my third try, kinda the same thing, Scraggy sweeped his whole team. xD

Gym 8- Drayden

No.of tries- 1

Easy peasy. Scrafty to try and get in some hits, Darmanitan to spam Flare Blitz and suicide, and Ferrothorn(Yes, its first gym appearance. Somehow I never felt it was got against the ice gym when I had pokemon like Darmanitan and Boldore). Ferrothorn basically used ingrain, curse and allowed Haxorus to just use dragon claw and commit suicide. xD

Back