• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
  • Saw this on Serebii forums, so it migrated to Pokecommunity.

What was your hardest?

I felt that Clay was very hard.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2012
    Elesa. I got through the skin of my teeth with her, and even then it was a lucky critical hit with Dweeble.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    OH GAWD LENORA.

Seriously, the only times I've won are when her AI went stupid and made her watchog use leer or hypnosis after her herdier fainted... (I have both Jap. and American versions of both black and white...)

TL;DR: Lenora is a boss, and Retaliate = Srs bzns.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Chili! It's hard to train at the beginning, and without a monkey, you're screwed. And Incinerate burns away your Oran Berry, even if you are using Panpour against his Pansear. :( I didn't have too much trouble with any other leader, so... v_v

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • The hardest one for me was Drayden, mainly because I had no pokemon that were good against dragon types.

Last edited:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Elesa, I HATE Volt Switch. Didn't expect Emolga to be that good, guess thats the great part of having all new Pokemon, dont know what to expect. Lenora was also the only time I whited out, Crunch + Retaliate=Pain.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Lenora, her Pokemon knowing Take Down was a huge pain in the ass. Elesa's two Emolga's Volt Switch were also pretty annoying, though I must say very effective. Thirdly, Burgh's bugs were quite a pain for me as I had pretty much nothing that was effective against Bug types.

The rest was pretty much smooth sailing. I did have some problems with Clay's Excadrill, though I suppose I was just not ready. I must say, never had I so many rough patches through winning my badges as I had in this generation. Was definitely fun though.

Years
  • Elesa was definitely the hardest. Emolga and their dang Double Team really annoyed me. Other than that, I've defeated seven so far, but I am assuming this Dragon leader shall be difficult.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Burgh gave me a very, very hard time. My entire team was weak to Bug type. So I had to keep resetting the game and train until I was able to finally beat him.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I just beat Iris, so now I can reply to this with experience.

For me, the hardest gym leader to beat was Lenora due to her always using retaliation. I had to battle her multiple times and it was just so frustrating! I only had and only wanted to use my starter to beat her.

After that, the gym leaders became extremely easy, apart from Burgh. I easily 1HKO'd most of them. But Lenora was the only gym leader that I lost against.

Years
  • Lenora was really difficult for the second Leader I found, Take Down and Retaliate just ripped my team to shreds every time, nothing a bit of grinding couldn't fix though.
    The rest of the Leaders I haven't had any problem with at all though I am yet to fight Iris or the Ice Leader.

Back