• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harry Potter Discussion Thread

Vanilla Kitsune

Bloody git
    Years
    The only thing I actually enjoyed about the movie was the humor. It wasn't cut-dry, which gave it the appeal to me. Other than that, I think the movie was a wreck. A lot of it seemed improvised, I honestly did not care about their relationships. True, they are a driving force within the novel, but it centered on them way too much. I was expecting some action. Albeit, the book does not contain a lot of scenes, I was still hoping for something. The dark themes were left out, which completely ruined it for me. I was hoping for the battle of Hogwarts. It was one of the most exciting parts to read, and they left out it. Even when the movie got remotely interesting, it just went out of character and ended. That was it.

... The burning of the Burrow was ridiculous. Did it have ANY relevance besides to make us feel sorry and hate the Death Eaters even more?

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    There is actually rumors going around that the first part of the 7th film is going to open up with Dumbledore's funeral; perhaps they left the battle at Hogwarts out because they're building up to the battle in the 7th. And the Burning of The Burrow wasn't all that bad; I get the feeling that they're planning something for the 7th film.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2013
    The books were good, and my favorites were 6 and 7.

I went and saw every movie on the 14th, including the midnight showing of 6. Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite, but Half-Blood Prince has now replaced that. It has an epic soundtrack as well.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    In movie perspective, I find it that:
    Half Blood Prince > Order of the Phoenix > Prisoner of Azkaban > Goblet of Fire > Chamber of Secrets > Sorcerer's Stone

In book perspective, I find it that:
    Deathly Hallows > Order of the Phoenix > Half Blood Prince > Prisoner of Azkaban > Goblet of Fire > Sorcerer's Stone > Chamber of Secrets

But that's just me.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    There is actually rumors going around that the first part of the 7th film is going to open up with Dumbledore's funeral; perhaps they left the battle at Hogwarts out because they're building up to the battle in the 7th. And the Burning of The Burrow wasn't all that bad; I get the feeling that they're planning something for the 7th film.

You are spot on there, David Yeats did say he left out the end battle because they want to keep that suspense for the final movie. But upon looking into it, the destruction of the Burrow actually did serve a purpose. After Bill Nighy quit his part as Scrimgour the writers decided to drop the character from the movies. Since Bill and Fleur had also been dropped, the wedding from the Deathly Hallows could not happen and since that scene set up so many arcs of the Deathly Hallows they needed an excuse in the movie itself for the scene to be altered and what better way to do that then destroying the location it's meant to happen in.

Originally Posted by wee187 Harry Potter Discussion Thread
    Though, it's confirmed that Tonks, Lupin, Bill, Fleur, Dobby, Kreature, Trelawney, and the Dursleys have all been CUT from the movie itself. >=( The two-part movie of 7 better have EVERYTHING in it for a change when they finish making it.

Just for the record, Tonks and Lupin haven't been cut.

Years
    You are spot on there, David Yeats did say he left out the end battle because they want to keep that suspense for the final movie. But upon looking into it, the destruction of the Burrow actually did serve a purpose. After Bill Nighy quit his part as Scrimgour the writers decided to drop the character from the movies. Since Bill and Fleur had also been dropped, the wedding from the Deathly Hallows could not happen and since that scene set up so many arcs of the Deathly Hallows they needed an excuse in the movie itself for the scene to be altered and what better way to do that then destroying the location it's meant to happen in.

Just for the record, Tonks and Lupin haven't been cut.

Yeah I had heard Bill Nighy quit his part; and if there is no Bill or Fleur then there can be no wedding scene. So many people are complaning the 6th movie wasn't any good, but personally I thought it was fine. At least they actually decided to go and destroy the location the wedding is supposed to be in, I knew they must of had a reason for it otherwise they wouldn't have done it in the first place. So I have high hopes the 7th film is going to be the best out of all of them; even though somethings had to be dropped.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    The Goblet Of Fire was surely the best film & book out of the lot.. The deathly hallows was a great book too though..

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Was it just me, or did every other scene in new movie contain a sexual innuendo? I mean really now...Lol.

I thought the movie was alright. Too much "teen stuff" for my taste though.

Years
    Was it just me, or did every other scene in new movie contain a sexual innuendo? I mean really now...Lol.

I thought the movie was alright. Too much "teen stuff" for my taste though.

Well at the age that Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron are all at; I guess "Teen Stuff" Is to be expected; I thought it actually added quite a fair bit of humor to the movie myself, being at the age of either 16 or 15 theres pretty much always awkwardness when it comes to realizing feelings that they never ever thought were possible suddenly make themselves known. Like Harry, coming to terms with the fact that he no longer ses Ginny as Ron's "Little Sister, who was always shy and quiet" and Hermione; almost falling over and sometimes denying that she has in fact has feelings for Ron and is jealous of Lavender always hanging or snogging him.

Perhaps a little mroe action could have been put into the film; but personally I like the way the 6th movie turned out. They're building up to the battles that await in the first and second parts of movie 7, so I think we can well and truely be sure that the 7th movie is defiantly going to make up for some of the things that people have been disappointed about that were missed in the 6th film.

Also I cannot wait for the very ending of the movie; anyone else here besides me ready to see Daniel Radcliffe and the others as 36-year-olds? xD. Although I beleive Ginny will be 35 since shes a year younger than Harry xD. It'll be pretty interesting to see how well they pull off the aging, the thing with make-up these days they can do just about anything in the movie department.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I really liked the movie. I've only read HBP twice--the last time being just before the last book came out--so I didn't remember much of it at all. Thus I went in with much fewer expectations than the other movies and really enjoyed it.

I really didn't mind the changes. The Weasley's house burning down was confusing but now I'm interested to see how that'll change the next movie(s). Movies are no fun when you know *everything* that's gonna happen so it's nice to see adaptations take some creative license. Obviously the plot changes would've had to have been approved by JKR herself so I'm gonna trust where they're going with this. Could be interesting!

I loved the humour in this movie though. My favourite part was probably during Aragog's funeral--where Harry, high on luck, goes "watch out for the pincers *makes pincer gestures*" haha omg. xD; Or Malfoy's sudden "I DON'T NEED PROTECTION" while talking to Snape in the hallway lmao.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I loved the humour in this movie though. My favourite part was probably during Aragog's funeral--where Harry, high on luck, goes "watch out for the pincers *makes pincer gestures*" haha omg. xD; Or Malfoy's sudden "I DON'T NEED PROTECTION" while talking to Snape in the hallway lmao.

So I wasn't the only one who thought that was funny. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. The one thing that bothered me was that it had been so long since I'd read the book, so I didn't know Lavender's name. I probably got on a lot of people's nerves because I kept saying, "what is her name?!" in a faux German accent. And then somewhere in the middle I found out her name. FINALLY. But that was the only time it was even mentioned. Oh well. She was weird anyway. And when the students all see Dumbledore out on the grounds...tear jerker.

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
    Personally while the books got more developed as they went along, I see the movie's as getting worse. They don't capture enough of the atmosphere and I know that's impossible under such a short timeframe but it's like watching a butcher go to work on some meat, pure painful :|

Cherrim

Years
    To be fair, the books kept getting ridiculously long around this point (honestly I found them TOO long and wish JKR would've let an editor at her work because it really needed it <_<). When you have to adapt a 700-page book for a film, you just.. HAVE to cut out a lot. 2.5 hours is around how long the movie was and that was pretty long. Anything longer would've been hell to sit through and splitting the film like they're doing for the last book is really costly. D:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The only thing I really wish they would have done was extend the conversation Draco had with Dumbledore before he was killed. But apart from that, I found that the movie represented the book to the best it could. It had most of the key plot points included in the movie and they made it really clear for people who didn't read the books to really be able to understand what was going on.

On a side note, if I didn't previously mention it, I think Emma's performance was brilliant. Though Helena Bonham Carter was brilliant as well, but I find that she's just brilliant at portraying sick, twisted characters regardless.

Years
    Yeah I agree the conversation between Dumbledore and Draco could have been a bit more longer; but the main thing is that they got all the main points that clearly made the story understandable out in the open. The 6th film is probably the best HP film I've seen yet; it had everything in it Humor, Action, Adventure and those are some of the mains that make a story what it is and helps it be presented well. I really saw nothing wrong with movie at all; it wasn't exactly like the book some things were changed but I thought that it was still awesome. I've already seen it twice now; and I'll be going to see it for a 3rd time next week xD. But even though we've all got a while to wait for the first part of the 7th to arrive I seriously cannot wait; I'm sure that by far its going to be the best out of them all.

Cherrim

Years
    la la la bump bump bump

Has anyone else seen it in IMAX 3D yet? :O I went on Wednesday with my friends. It was actually pretty good. I wish they had picked a better place to put the 3D scenes though--the opening part wasn't super amazing. But it wasn't horrible either and it was nice seeing it on such a big screen with better sound.

Also, who agrees that Slughorn makes the best D: face ever? xD

Back