• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has a Fanbase Ever Ruined Something for You?

Years
    Well, i've never had any fanbase ruin a game in that franchise that I want to enjoy, or the opposite. But it does get difficult to put up with the fandoms of various franchises such as Sonic, Mario, Zelda (even though I never really was into that last one). For the most part i'm not much a fandom person anymore and play whatever I feel like.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    None at the moment, but I have seen some really toxic parts of fanbases out there. Pokemon included. Granted, I haven't followed many fanbases, but many of those that I do follow have a really toxic component to them that taints my view of them as a whole.
    The Terraria fanbase is just ugh. Ever lay a finger on Terraria on the official forums and you get fanboys screaming at you, using flawed fanboy logic and failing to address any constructive criticism you make about the game. And they think they are privileged enough to trash on competition like Minecraft and especially Starbound just because they are not Terraria using their flawed criticism to hide the fact.
    Pokemon is also really bad. There are many god awful parts of the fanbase; ranging from the fanboys that grew up with the older gens and trash the newer ones and vice versa, to the elitist competitive and anti-competitive players to the dumb shipping wars and creepy fanart that plagues the fanbase. And this is not necessarily just the vocal minority either - the Genwunners are a huge part of the fanbase, which will probably never go away. From my experience, lay a finger on Gen II or their remakes and you will regret it.
    There is more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    the Genwunners are a huge part of the fanbase,QUOTE]

I haven't seen "them" for years. Honestly the people who defend gen 5 and call people that when someone shit-talks it are easily more annoying.

Consoles fandoms are the worst. Calling someone cancer or telling someone to kill themselves because of their preference of gaming platform is fucking childish.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    There are huge numbers of Genwunners and they are vocal - it looks like you don't frequent places where they are active. Case in point: Twitch Plays Pokemon Red had like 100,000 followers, which dropped to maybe around several thousand in the playthroughs of the more recent games. While not all that left are Genwunners, that is far too large of a drop for it to not be evidence of Genwunner activity.

Both sides of the Console/PC wars are just as bad as each other. You will find just as many PC fanboys jumping down the console players' throats as vice versa.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    There are huge numbers of Genwunners and they are vocal - it looks like you don't frequent places where they are active. Case in point: Twitch Plays Pokemon Red had like 100,000 followers, which dropped to maybe around several thousand in the playthroughs of the more recent games.

To be honest, the original pokemon red and blue games have more nolstagic appeal so attracted more people. Also, many thought that the novelty wore off after the first twitch plays.

I think it's a stretch to say that roughly 99% of the people watching the original twitch plays run were Genwunners.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    Edited my post to include this:
    While not all that left are Genwunners, that is far too large of a drop for it to not be evidence of Genwunner activity.
    The nostaligia and novelty are only part of the equation. There are people who dropped because of that, but don'tcha think that's only part of the reason for its drop?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Nah. Smash Bros., Pokemon and Street Fighter fanbases are some of the worst and it never stops me from enjoying the hell out of those series.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Five Nights at Freddy's. Amnesia. Slender. Outlast. Any/every horror game released in the last few years that has become The Thing™ to LP.

I probably wouldn't even like FNAF or Slender. But I had so much trouble getting through Amnesia and Outlast after, unfortunately, stumbling upon their crazy LP-based fanbases.

Though Amnesia was already ruined for me after witnessing several Penumbra vs. Amnesia wars. Guys. Guys they were made by the same people. stop it.

Another fanbase would be the Resident Evil fanbase. They haven't ruined the series for me, but they did ruin the Resident Evil community for me to the point where I can't take almost every one of them serious. Always arguing over what is the scariest RE game, what is RE and what isn't, what makes RE scary, going philosophical about RE, complaining about getting exactly what they want, complaining how the series is dead because Resident Evil 4 "ruined everything"

^ This, for both Resident Evil and Bioshock.
    They both suffer from the same crap that divides the fanbase: Which titles are or aren't a RE/Bio game, which title "broke" the entire series for them, which titles are or aren't scary, etc.

Didn't ruin the series for me, ofc. But it did make me take way too long to get around to playing Bioshock 2, which is a shame.

Case in point: Twitch Plays Pokemon Red had like 100,000 followers, which dropped to maybe around several thousand in the playthroughs of the more recent games.

What does that have to do with anything. Just because they started in Gen 1 and then people got bored of the idea so their followers dwindled? That doesn't automatically imply that most of the followers only liked first gen.
    It's not like they stopped watching a competent LPer with interesting/funny commentary play through the games - they stopped watching a gimmick that gets old after awhile. Even with a competent LPer, Pokemon games are hard to watch. Anything turn-based is pretty boring to watch, and much better suited for a screenshot LP than a video LP.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    Whilst I can easily think of several things that were ruined for me by a fanbase, I honestly struggle to think of gaming examples. Or indeed a gaming fanbase that simply annoyed me.

Maybe the Devil May Cry fanbase to an extent? I hated all the backlash over 'New Dante'; sure, he didn't have white hair, but I genuinely liked Ninja Theory's take on the whole series. And it looked awful when the devs threw in a 'classic' Dante skin. I wish they would've just left it at the canny mop-joke. I'm actually a bit worried since Capcom is re-releasing both the DMC remake and DMC4 this year, which -- whilst it's great to finally! have! trophies! for DMC4 <3 -- is clearly a tactical ploy on Capcom's part in deciding which direction to take the series in; stick with the remake or revert to the old. I don't mind either versions of Dante and the DMC world, but I'd really wish they'd stick with the remake version and leave the old classic behind. I'm concerned that Capcom will give into all the fussing done by the fanbase.

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    Honestly, some of the people in the FNAF fandom really ruined the game for me. Yeah, it was funny watching some people flip out at the animatronics, but come on, shoving the damn game down my throat 24/7 with stupid and irrelevant comments is just plain annoying and makes me want to relocate to the Moon (okay not really, the food on the Moon sucks. Mars has decent food though). I get it, you really enjoy the games, that's fine. You like them so much you set your avatar to Chica, that's also fine. But when you feel the need to shove it into everyone's throats by bringing the game up at the most inappropriate opportunities, then we have a problem. Honestly though, that goes for a lot.

Another gripe I have is with the GTA fandom (please don't murder me). Okay, sure the GTA games are incredible experiences that provide hours upon hours of fun, especially in multiplayer, but to constantly demand perfect scores for every single installment? Seriously? When there was that backlash on Gamespot or wherever the hell because it didn't get a 10, all I heard from the "protesters" was "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah." Yeah it was a great game, but it was far from perfect. Crying about it just presents oneself as a little kid in the supermarket mad at his mom for not buying him the toy he wanted.

The PewDiePie fanbase. Please don't kill me

I'll admit it, I genuinely enjoy watching PewDiePie's videos. I think he's a cool guy, does things for charity, entertains fans of various game genres, and some of his jokes are funny. He doesn't think of himself too highly - unlike a few celebrities - and can joke about himself, heck even ridicule himself in public.

But good god, the fanbase. A mass of inappropriately swearing, entitled, defensive pringles. They literally spoil PewDiePie's name when they needlessly and horribly defend him from constructive criticism.

Just be glad you haven't seen some of the **** 12 year olds say about his critics in MLP groups. I am still recovering from the resulting brain trauma.

There's no fanbase that ever ruined something for me, because there's always cool people, too.

The only fandom that ever managed to annoy me are the old school RPG Maker elitist, who think that RPG Maker 2000/2003 are the superier ones and every new RPG Maker just sucks. They also happen to talk too much whenever a noob wants to show a game he's making which always turns out into hugh topic unreleated discussions about some stupid gameplay mechanic and makes those noobs leave these communities immediately.

What... That's actually a thing? People being elitist over different editions of a tool? Wow... Just... Wow... And I thought the MLP art elitists were bad.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Yep, I'm in the FNaF group as well

I have my theory, backed up by the game itself, pieced together with the dozens of clues sprinkled throughout the phone calls

Yet I don't really put it out there because I've seen what happens to people who do it

So I enjoy it in silence

Back