• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anybody ever made fun of you for liking Pokemon?

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    In short, yes I've been bagged out for playing Pokemon.
    Mostly by idiots at school and whatnot, but then when I started hanging out with my old next door neighbour and his mates at school people stopped saying stuff and got over it.
    However that can be attributed to my new mates telling them to shut up or they'll get it XD
    Family wise though, they don't really care because me and my cousins all play it together so it's normal.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • Hm, not really made fun of. One of my internet friends though did once say "Don't you think your Pokemon obsession is getting a little weird?" and I just told her no. But she said it wasn't her generation (she's a lot older) so that's probably why she never watched it. My real life friends don't really know I like it A LOT. One of them knows I occasionally watch the anime (as far as she knows, it's only occasionally), and everyone knows I play the games.

My family doesn't care. My brother actually watched it with me one day and liked it just as much as I do. xD

Most people seem to think its weird to like it because I'm so old. But the game is for all ages, and I find the anime a lot more hilarious now that I'm older. xD And if you look on forums like this one and Bulbapedia, there are quite a few Pokemon fans that are a lot older than people would expect them to be.

SethMetal37

I'm a zombie. BLARG!
    Years
  • Lol everyone my age consider it bad-ass they just dont play the new games anymore. I have had two of my friends come over who hadn't played the 4th gen but knew about them. They played with me and got mad cuz I whooped their asses lolz. But if it gets brought up I dont act like a total Pokenerd or anything, lol I just say some thing like, "man, pokemon was beast!" like an ice-breaker lolz

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Yes, a lot of people have before. I'm not really that into Pokemon anymore though. :x A lot of my friends were Pokemon fans when they were younger so they talk about it sometimes. XD I don't let my secret Pokemon fandom get out though.

^3^~

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • I don't usually tell people I like pokemon... unless they see me on here. I only play the games though and that's what I tell them. XD Some of my friends in real life also liked pokemon or... understood why I enjoyed it. D:

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
  • I'm 27 (boy do I feel old), I've been playing since Red/Blue... I don't think anyone made fun of me even way back then, but I was about the right age group at first. In high school I don't think I really advertised it, my Gameboy wasn't really easy to bring with me everywhere unlike the GBA SP and the DS. By the time those two came out I was in (and then finished with) university, and I played it all the time on the bus, and doodled pictures in my course notes. Never been teased, but I think university students wouldn't care due to the nostalgia factor.

At work I've even had a pokemon plush toy sitting on my computer monitor! People seem to find it funny (and I think bright colors make offices better). I have a few pokemon pins on my bag, too, though I guess those might not count since the average person won't recognize Mankey... though people who have played the game at least one generally remember Nidoran m+f.

Of course nowadays I work at a game testing company so if they bashed me for Pokemon it would be unexpected. It's the opposite--I've had strategy discussions with a few people.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Well I get a lot of comments about it as I am one of the very little who like Pokemon in the school - I think there is like 5 or so of us. I'm the only one of them who is proud of still on it while the others are hiding it away. - I used Pokemon for my projects at school giving me high marks it funny actually

Obsessed Gamer

Begginer RPG Maker VX user
    Years
  • For me, not really. In my computer class, I have Pokemon backgrounds on the desktop. No one really notices it. And for the ones that do, they don't say anything. Sometimes they make a joke but rarely. I don't care of what they think

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • People have accused me of being a furry to Pokemon, let's just say that.

Some not very nice things have been said about me and my liking of Pokemon. Sadly, those people weren't very bright. :V

CrazyCarretta

It works!
    Years
  • Unless someone else says something about it beforehand or catches me I don't tell. My girlfriend likes the show alot and she used to like the cards, but she never gave the game a chance. I want to change that.

EDIT: I can't decide if I'm going to the toys r us event either. Will the people be my age or it will be full of kids and teenagers?

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2009
    Actually, I was in the closet in regards to being a pokefan for a long, long time. Then, recently, I decided that I didn't care anymore, and I began to openly display my love for it.

Now, I'm a pretty popular, well respected guy within my small country school, and coming out and saying that I was into pokemon shocked a lot of people. (Before then, the only people that openly had an affection for Pokemon were the mentally handicapped at my school...).

But now, my school has began a wave of poke-regenesis. I have everyone, from the "nerds" to the "preps" (especially them), to some of the "jocks" to the "artsy" kids all playing pokemon again! It's great being able to openly talk about Pokemon without the fear of being made fun of! :-D!

Quag-Squire

[i]oh-ho![/i]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2009
    I don't tell a soul.

It's a shame to my family and my friends and school. You give a hint of it, and you could never show your face into school again, no one would ever give you the same respect again. No one would take you seriously, no one would listen to your opinion, they think people like that are messed up and freaks, I used to play the game really secretly, and I draw them when NO ONE is around, I think some of my younger siblings see me, but they just giggle about it and don't really say anything. If anyone I knew found out I would be scarred.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Nope. All my friends love Pokemon. My girlfriend thinks it's cute that I play the games. In fact, we were just talking about what a great Pokemon Eevee is today.
    yeah my girlfriend thinks its cute that i like it to lol. and im 15. she would even watch the show with me lol

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Yeah. Im kinda closeted on the whole pokemon thing. I mean when I tell people I used to tell them I USED to like it. Mostly because I really dont want to end up like that guy who likes pokemon in my school... not a pretty picture

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Anyone who makes fun of me for having a hobby is lame. Yes, I've been made fun of (behind my back, but I heard). I don't even see them anymore.

Look at how much I've accomplished. Do you honestly think I'm going to quit, because of some fool who makes fun of me that I probably won't ever see again after I graduate?

Level 100s:
    Infernape, Porygon-Z, Floatzel, Charizard, Vaporeon, Gyarados, Gengar, Mr. Mime, Togekiss, Dragonite (LEVEL 100 DRAGONITE!! -Draco Meteor, Superpower, Flamethrower, Aqua Tail) Azumarill.

Level 68 Electrode
    Level 70 Butterfree
    Level 77 Fearow
    Level 88 Blastoise
    Level 72 Venusaur
    Level 83 Flareon
    Level 92 Blaziken
    Level 52 Aggron
    Level 83 Manectric
    Level 82 Leafeon
    Level 61 Salamence
    Level 60 Metagross
    Level 94 Torterra
    Level 79 Luxray
    Level 73 Lopunny
    Level 63 Garchomp

(Whiscash won the Ultra Rank of the Cute Contest. Level 56 Milotic won Master Rank Beauty contest. Venonat won the Master Rank of the smart contest. Magcargo won the Master Rank Tough Contest.)

I worked hard this summer. All these Pokemon belong to me. I raised them in LeafGreen, Emerald, and Platinum. I moved a lot of them to Platinum.
    wow ur pokemon are strond as heck! i raised every starter i had to lv. 100 and i have a level 100 cyndaquil and a level 100 salamance and ho-oh (Heartgold) and lugia (soulsilver) lol. but almost all ur pokemon are weak against ice lol. i like raising dragon types tho to.

Droidz

¬‿¬
    Years
  • I talk about it all the time to my Best Friends but i wouldn't talk about it with most people unless they asked
    because they think it's childish or stupid, meh their loss :D

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    You know now that I actually think about only about 5 or 6 of my friends know that I like pokemon (I was actually talking about it with a friend about 2 days ago), but thank god none of the others know that or else Id be in big trouble

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • Oh yeah, I've been made fun of but it's no big deal. It's never been maliciously really, and if it has, it's been from people I couldn't care less about. I don't exactly flaunt liking Pokémon, and it's hardly a thing for anyone to get worked up over.

Back