• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    so does that mean i could breed like a ditto from my game and, for example, an eevee from another european country or america and this method would still work? sorry this is probably a stupid question but i dont really know much about this >.<

Masuda Method is simply breeding two Pokemon from differing Regions. JAP, KOR, FRE, GER, ect. It doesn't matter who the OT is, as long as the Regions are different (up top near the name of the Pokemon it will tag if it is from a Region other than yours). Other things come into play when trying to get the best efficiency for producing eggs... two different OTs produce more eggs than same OTs. Same species produce eggs faster than [Pokemon] + Ditto. I used a native Charmander given to me by a friend and a GER Charmander I got from Wonder Trade and was swimming in eggs. Good luck!

Edit: KillerTyphlosion, I think this response answers your question as well. Check to make sure one of the monsters has a Region tag near it's name and it will work for MM breeding.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Masuda Method is simply breeding two Pokemon from differing Regions. JAP, KOR, FRE, GER, ect. It doesn't matter who the OT is, as long as the Regions are different (up top near the name of the Pokemon it will tag if it is from a Region other than yours). Other things come into play when trying to get the best efficiency for producing eggs... two different OTs produce more eggs than same OTs. Same species produce eggs faster than [Pokemon] + Ditto. I used a native Charmander given to me by a friend and a GER Charmander I got from Wonder Trade and was swimming in eggs. Good luck!

Edit: KillerTyphlosion, I think this response answers your question as well. Check to make sure one of the monsters has a Region tag near it's name and it will work for MM breeding.

You say region, But for example there is no tag for UK, USA. The tags just seem to be the language from the given game. So for example i could have 2 pokemon games and one of them is in eng language and the other in japanese. Both are eu 3ds SO it is from the same region but if i trade a pokemon the eng game will still say JPN will it not? I dont have 2 diffrent pokemon games so i can't test.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • *just* 750 eggs and i hatched my male shini scyther with 31 hp 31 atk 31 def 31 spdef... it s got Swarm, so i m happy megascizor overwrites the ability with technician XD....(too bad bugbite is gen V exclusive can i replace it with another good \<60 damage bug move?)

Years
  • After 905 egg, I finally got this shiny!
    Spoiler:

I've done 1400 eggs for this and still nothing, I'm pretty jelly! Haha congrats :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2015
    Was just wondering - is it safe for me to take one of my eeves out of the day care and replace it with another nature one? I still have the Japanese eevee in the day care. I'm just wondering if doing this resets the method. I mean if I've already hatched 400 eevees to the same eevees would switching them disrupt the cycle?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    You say region, But for example there is no tag for UK, USA. The tags just seem to be the language from the given game. So for example i could have 2 pokemon games and one of them is in eng language and the other in japanese. Both are eu 3ds SO it is from the same region but if i trade a pokemon the eng game will still say JPN will it not? I dont have 2 diffrent pokemon games so i can't test.

I assume you are using a US/UK game when you say you see no US/UK tag. Pokemon native to your Region will not have tags, only Pokemon from Regions other than your own (I'm not sure that US and UK are different Regions for the purposes of this discussion, which makes it look like they may in fact be Language tags but I don't believe this is the case). I've seen Region tagged Pokemon with their English names, and some with the names native to the Region they came from. For example: I have GER Charmander and GER Glumanda (Glumanda is the GER name for Charmander), but they both have the GER tag.

I keep trying to edit this post to make it make more sense, but I am not having much luck. I am confidently sure the tags are Region, not language, for the above stated reasons. You can change what language your system displays, but you can't change what Region your system is from.

**Quoted from GameFAQs: "In the summary, it will have a region tag next to the name if it is from a different region. The Pokedex also gets additional tabs if you get something from new regions."

@Squirrelpaw: if you are trying to breed a shiny Pokemon, switching out parents will not "reset" the method because MM is not a counting game, but a game of chance. Switch out parents so you have the desired nature in the babies, then breed onward! Make sure you are following the MM rule (the parents need to be from differing Regions) for the best possible chances for shiny babies.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Will The masuda method work if I have an English ditto from Usa and an EU pokemon from my own(both english)? Because in gen v it was language based(except for ingame trades). What if the pokemon is from the same region example Brittich ditto and german ditto?

The masuda method:

1: Breed a pokemon from your own game with a pokemon from another country.

2: Breed two foreign pokemon both obtained through trades from other countries I.E. a german ditto and a Spanish charmander.

Either of those methods will work but of course it still comes down to luck on how fast you hatch a shiny.

so does that mean i could breed like a ditto from my game and, for example, an eevee from another european country or america and this method would still work? sorry this is probably a stupid question but i dont really know much about this >.<

Yes that's fine I bred an English/UK Froakie with a Spanish Froakie and I managed to get a shiny within 115 eggs.

Thanks! gonna try and get a shiny gastly now! wish me luck :p

Good luck :).

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2015
    Thanks for the advice and help! I'm using a Canadian eevee (my eevee) and a Japanese Eevee, and I'm almost at 400 hatches :) Goodluck everyone and congrats to those getting shinies!

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014

Masuda Method is all about taking two Pokemon from differing Regions (check the tags near the Pokemon's name) to get the best possible chance for shiny babies. Breeding your Ditto with a traded Eevee will work if the Eevee you get has a tag by its name. Tags are placed on Pokemon that are from a Region different than your own to make them stand out and let you know they are from another Region. For example, I have an ENG game (I am in USA), so I see SPA, FRE, GER, JPN, KOR tags on Pokemon I get in trades. I have never seen an ENG Pokemon in my game, because my game is ENG. If the Eevee you get in a trade does not have a tag by its name, than it is considered from the same Region as your game, so breeding it with your Ditto who also does not have a tag by its name, is not considered Masuda Method. If you got your hands on a JPN Ditto and a JPN Eevee and tried to breed them, that would still not be Masuda Method, because both parents are from the same Region (JPN). The parents need to be from separate places, with separate tags. Your Ditto with no tag could breed with the JPN Eevee, and that would be Masuda Method breeding!

I hope this helps you. I know it's kind of confusing, but once you understand it you'll have an easier time figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I have indeed, my very first shiny - Becky the shiny Eevee (now Sylveon!), after 913 eggs! I'm also going to masuda a Gale Wings Fletchling.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    My first Mashuda method shiny, a male adamant Shinx, after only 10 eggs. My 3rd shiny overall for today, a lucky day indeed.

Aussie Riolu

What is anything to a Riolu?
    Years
  • First one was a Shiny Honedge which I got in under 100 Eggs (didn't keep count) and a Shiny Eevee in just 5 Eggs. Both have competitive viable IVs too.
    Currently working on Shiny Marill right now. I have a perfect Marill already so I'm going for a Shiny. I might wanna try getting a different Japanese Pokemon for it though. SpAtk on this Stunfisk is getting in the way lol

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen today
    Reporting in on my progress for my shiny torchic. 213 eggs, and still no shiny. I expected otherwise. Gonna keep trucking to the big numbers.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I assume you are using a US/UK game when you say you see no US/UK tag. Pokemon native to your Region will not have tags, only Pokemon from Regions other than your own (I'm not sure that US and UK are different Regions for the purposes of this discussion, which makes it look like they may in fact be Language tags but I don't believe this is the case). I've seen Region tagged Pokemon with their English names, and some with the names native to the Region they came from. For example: I have GER Charmander and GER Glumanda (Glumanda is the GER name for Charmander), but they both have the GER tag.

I keep trying to edit this post to make it make more sense, but I am not having much luck. I am confidently sure the tags are Region, not language, for the above stated reasons. You can change what language your system displays, but you can't change what Region your system is from.

**Quoted from GameFAQs: "In the summary, it will have a region tag next to the name if it is from a different region. The Pokedex also gets additional tabs if you get something from new regions."

@Squirrelpaw: if you are trying to breed a shiny Pokemon, switching out parents will not "reset" the method because MM is not a counting game, but a game of chance. Switch out parents so you have the desired nature in the babies, then breed onward! Make sure you are following the MM rule (the parents need to be from differing Regions) for the best possible chances for shiny babies.

I live In the netherlands so i have a Eu card(don't think there is a diffrence in the eu cards, because it supports all the languages) I have traded with a lot of people from the USA( so it's from a diffrent region and even a diffrent region from my 3ds because the 3ds has a region lock) But none of them has a Tag on them.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Keep trading on the WT, KillerTyphlosion. Once you see a tag (the most common I've found are JPN) you'll see what I mean! Try trading at different times of day, also. I either get up earlier than usual or stay up way later than usual and do a few trades to see if I can get better trades/different Region Pokemon.

Or if you don't want to try your luck with WT, do a search for a Pokemon on the GTS and scroll through. There's also an option to search for only Pokemon from a different Region (do that!). That will give you an idea of where the tags are, what they look like. So you'll know it when you see it.

Last edited:

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Keep trading on the WT, KillerTyphlosion. Once you see a tag (the most common I've found are JPN) you'll see what I mean! Try trading at different times of day, also. I either get up earlier than usual or stay up way later than usual and do a few trades to see if I can get better trades/different Region Pokemon.

Or if you don't want to try your luck with WT, do a search for a Pokemon on the GTS and scroll through. There's also an option to search for only Pokemon from a different Region (do that!). That will give you an idea of where the tags are, what they look like. So you'll know it when you see it.

I know what you mean. I have gotten all the other 5 Tags on traded pokemon. But thats wy i wonder IF MM is LANGUAGE based and not region based. Or is it both. Like i said i could have 2 cardridges from the Netherlands and 2 diffrent 3ds wich are both registerd to the Netherlands. But i could assign diffrent languages on both card. 1 is english and one is japanese. If i would trade IT would technicaly be from the same region but diffrent languages. SO the safest method would be from A diffrent country AND diffrent language to asure that MM works. But My quistion is if it would work with games set in the same region but have diffrent languages set.

Back