• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
  • I'm a little low on morale at the moment. Up to 345 Eggs and still no shiny larvitar :(. I know it's no were near as many as some of you on this thread but I still feel discouraged considering I hatched some of my other shinys around 100+ eggs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Hours have turned into days. Days are starting to turn into weeks. I'm at 1000 eggs and wondering when the moment will come where the egg pops and a red Honedge instead of a light blue one is bouncing around on the screen. I wonder how I will react. I am starting to wonder if it will ever happen.

My mind starts playing tricks on me after a time. Do these things really exist? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something entirely different rather than spending my life endlessly hatching eggs.

One
    egg
    after
    another
    after
    another

Yeah... I feel like a man alone on a tiny island in the middle of the pacific talking to a volleyball with a bloody handprint on it. Endless blue..... endless blue.....

Years
  • Hours have turned into days. Days are starting to turn into weeks. I'm at 1000 eggs and wondering when the moment will come where the egg pops and a red Honedge instead of a light blue one is bouncing around on the screen. I wonder how I will react. I am starting to wonder if it will ever happen.

My mind starts playing tricks on me after a time. Do these things really exist? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something entirely different rather than spending my life endlessly hatching eggs.

One
    egg
    after
    another
    after
    another

Yeah... I feel like a man alone on a tiny island in the middle of the pacific talking to a volleyball with a bloody handprint on it. Endless blue..... endless blue.....

I'm rooting for ya, after 1000 eggs you deserve that shiny. I feel low on morale for not getting my shiny larvitar after 355 eggs but that's nothing in comparison. It will feel so great when you finally do get it though, just keep thinking of seeing Honedge in all it's shiny glory!

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks scotty,

I try to think of each hatching egg like a little Christmas present. It might have socks, or it might have a next gen console. ;)

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    There have been some adult beverages involved over the past several evenings, I can assure you.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Shiny Charmander - Masuda Method

300 eggs later and still no shiny charmander, kill me please.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Project Pokemon are looking into the Pokemon data files and have an idea about shiny rates this gen. It's enough to make me want to try MM again.

...After investigation with the new Pokemon file format and how shininess is determined, some new stuff was recently discovered.

Basically, the base shiny rate is now doubled, or 1/4096. This is the rate that applies to random encounters and hatching normal eggs. This means that Masuda Method now has a roughly 1/683 chance of yielding a shiny.

The rates for fish chaining and Friend Safari are still unknown, but this basically means that if you've thought shinies were more common in general, they are.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Project Pokemon are looking into the Pokemon data files and have an idea about shiny rates this gen. It's enough to make me want to try MM again.
    We finally get an answer!

I guess this is good news. Kinda sucks for those who've gone into the thousands, but things are looking up?

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    There's got to be something else at play here, it can't just be chance, there must be other variables affecting it. When I read other people doing MM hatching and they tell us they got their shiny after 70 eggs it really makes me wonder... My..mind is..me..lting. Btw does anyone know if the shiny is determined BEFORE you get the egg from the daycare man or is it determined upon hatching? If so I could be soft-resetting.

BunnyRice

Busy with breed requests! ♥
    Years
  • I'm currently in the process of breeding Shiny Charmander, Mawile and Vulpix. I also have a Japanese Ditto since my cousin is in Japan and I snagged one from her once I caught her online. My only question is because I heard a lot of debates about this is, you have one foreign pokemon but what if the other paired mate wasn't Foreign but traded?

Example:

JPN Ditto + Traded US Ditto + My country being the U.S = Potentially Shiny dittos?
    Or would I have to be the actual rightful owner of said U.S Ditto for this method to work? Thanks if it can be answered correctly for me.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm currently in the process of breeding Shiny Charmander, Mawile and Vulpix. I also have a Japanese Ditto since my cousin is in Japan and I snagged one from her once I caught her online. My only question is because I heard a lot of debates about this is, you have one foreign pokemon but what if the other paired mate wasn't Foreign but traded?

Example:

JPN Ditto + Traded US Ditto + My country being the U.S = Potentially Shiny dittos?
    Or would I have to be the actual rightful owner of said U.S Ditto for this method to work? Thanks if it can be answered correctly for me.
    I believe as long as you have two Pokemon of different countries, i.e. one Ditto has the JPN up top and the other doesn't, you should be fine. Tbh, didn't know you could breed two Dittos.

There's got to be something else at play here, it can't just be chance, there must be other variables affecting it. When I read other people doing MM hatching and they tell us they got their shiny after 70 eggs it really makes me wonder... My..mind is..me..lting. Btw does anyone know if the shiny is determined BEFORE you get the egg from the daycare man or is it determined upon hatching? If so I could be soft-resetting.
    It's not determined when the egg hatches, but when it's made/received (not really a difference). So SR'ing is not a good idea, as you'll literally be doing it forever. And I don't believe held items make a difference.

BunnyRice

Busy with breed requests! ♥
    Years
  • Ahh I see. So it doesn't need exact linked ownership. I've heard rumors that you'd need one Pokemon under your own ownership and one foreign for the method to work, then one saying as long as it's from the U.S and one has a foreign tag then it'll work regardless if you're the original owner of one of the pair or not.

Years
  • I believe as long as you have two Pokemon of different countries, i.e. one Ditto has the JPN up top and the other doesn't, you should be fine. Tbh, didn't know you could breed two Dittos.

It's not determined when the egg hatches, but when it's made/received (not really a difference). So SR'ing is not a good idea, as you'll literally be doing it forever. And I don't believe held items make a difference.

Soft reset still works, as that's the method I have followed and I have had 4 shinys all under 200 eggs. The only exception Is my current grind for a shiny larvitar as I am now currently on 510 eggs but from experience soft reseting will not prevent you from getting a shiny. I don't believe held items makes a difference either as it really just comes down to luck.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Soft reset still works, as that's the method I have followed and I have had 4 shinys all under 200 eggs. The only exception Is my current grind for a shiny larvitar as I am now currently on 510 eggs but from experience soft reseting will not prevent you from getting a shiny. I don't believe held items makes a difference either as it really just comes down to luck.

Are you for real? If so, then I can make this a lot less painless for me..

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Ahh I see. So it doesn't need exact linked ownership. I've heard rumors that you'd need one Pokemon under your own ownership and one foreign for the method to work, then one saying as long as it's from the U.S and one has a foreign tag then it'll work regardless if you're the original owner of one of the pair or not.
    Well I haven't heard of that rumor, but I assume if it were true, the idea of ID playing a role in the Masuda Method would've come up, but again, I haven't heard anything about it. If it's not too much trouble, you can go catch a Ditto in your game, but I'm like 99% sure there's no difference.

Are you for real? If so, then I can make this a lot less painless for me..
    To clarify, soft resetting the same egg will not work, which is what I thought you meant. Yes, you can save before you collect the egg, and shut it off afterwards, but I don't see that saving more time.

Back