• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
  • I know what you mean. I have gotten all the other 5 Tags on traded pokemon. But thats wy i wonder IF MM is LANGUAGE based and not region based. Or is it both. Like i said i could have 2 cardridges from the Netherlands and 2 diffrent 3ds wich are both registerd to the Netherlands. But i could assign diffrent languages on both card. 1 is english and one is japanese. If i would trade IT would technicaly be from the same region but diffrent languages. SO the safest method would be from A diffrent country AND diffrent language to asure that MM works. But My quistion is if it would work with games set in the same region but have diffrent languages set.

For the masuda method to work both parents have to be from a different region/country. Even if you change the language on the game or ds the game still recognises the cartridges as having the same country so it will not increase the odds of hatching a shiny as the game will register both parents as been from the same country.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    For the masuda method to work both parents have to be from a different region/country. Even if you change the language on the game or ds the game still recognises the cartridges as having the same country so it will not increase the odds of hatching a shiny as the game will register both parents as been from the same country.

Scotty is correct, and I think I addressed the Language question in an earlier response. You can change language on the fly so it's silly that the tags would be based on language, otherwise there would be no novelty in receiving a tagged Pokemon, and MM would be even easier to achieve. It is Region based only, not language, based on where your system is not what language it's displaying. Always check your Pokemon for tags before attempting to MM breed, that's the best advice I can give you!

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Going by gen v. I think it is decided by language. Because i traded with my nephew who has set its game to eng, but lives in germany, yet i did not get a german tag.

Garlana

The boy who never grew up.
    Years
  • Hey guys, im after a bit of reassurance, I've hatched around 150 pinsir eggs so far. Parents are a Female pinsir from one of my own friend safari's on my uk purchased game it has a adamant nature and holding an everstone, the male is a traded 'FRE' tagged pokemon from GTS holding a destiny knot, its called Scarabrute which I think is Pinsir's name in French. I merely just wanted clarification that in this case the French Pokémon is classed as 'foreign' for the masuda method in the same respects as a Japanese Pokémon. Please let me know as id hate to think im wasting time!

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    The Woes of Shiny Hatching

Hey there everyone,

I don't know if you're in the same boat, but I am trying to hatch a shiny Froakie. I'm doing the Masuda Method with a Male Protean Froakie and a Ditto from Japan. I have hatched over 300 eggs and Im starting to lose faith of finding my Shiny Froakie. Does anyone know how I can improve my chances? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    My shiny Shinx hatched after less than 10 eggs so don't give up. It's purely luck.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    I'm back at it for a shiny Chespin. So far I have a shiny Furfrou, Honedge, and Eevee.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Hey guys, im after a bit of reassurance, I've hatched around 150 pinsir eggs so far. Parents are a Female pinsir from one of my own friend safari's on my uk purchased game it has a adamant nature and holding an everstone, the male is a traded 'FRE' tagged pokemon from GTS holding a destiny knot, its called Scarabrute which I think is Pinsir's name in French. I merely just wanted clarification that in this case the French Pokémon is classed as 'foreign' for the masuda method in the same respects as a Japanese Pokémon. Please let me know as id hate to think im wasting time!

Held items don't matter, nor do names, for MM breeding. All that you need is two parents with differing tags, or one with no tag at all. That's it! JPN and FRE are MM, as are (no tag) and FRE. You are doing it right, just keep going! It can take anywhere from that one poster's lucky 10 eggs, to over a thousand eggs, so stick with it 'till you get what you want!

Hey there everyone,

I don't know if you're in the same boat, but I am trying to hatch a shiny Froakie. I'm doing the Masuda Method with a Male Protean Froakie and a Ditto from Japan. I have hatched over 300 eggs and Im starting to lose faith of finding my Shiny Froakie. Does anyone know how I can improve my chances? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MM breeding gives you the best possible chance (I hear there's some stupid Ribbon you can get in B/W for completing the entire Pokedex or something but I don't count that as a possible method since it's so insanely difficult to achieve and doesn't help for XY breeding). You have hatched "only" 300, so don't give up yet. Once you reach about 1,500 eggs, you have permission to give up. Good luck!

Going by gen v. I think it is decided by language. Because i traded with my nephew who has set its game to eng, but lives in germany, yet i did not get a german tag.

Where did his system come from? Was it purchased in GER? Also, if you are so absolutely dead set on thinking the tags are related to language and not region, why do you continue to ask about it? It's possible Gen V treats the region tags differently, but we aren't talking about Gen V. This is an X/Y Gen VI thread, so Gen VI answers are the ones you will be given. If you had specified Gen V in your first question, I wouldn't have responded because I don't know much about Gen V. Try doing an internet search for Gen V rules and see if you can find the answer. And then please let us know so we can help other players who have questions about Gen V mechanics. (or try posting your question again on a Gen V Black/White forum and see if any posters there can help you)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Reading this thread gives me hope

I'll try to MM later. Still thinking of what pokemon I want though

Cebreus

Anime Figure Collector~♪
    Years
  • After going through at least 50 Boxes and 1117 eggs, finally my Black & Purple ball of cuteness decided to show itself on the screen (Shiny Pumpkaboo, now a Gourgeist!) was well worth the wait :)

It is very random when it comes to hatching those eggs, sometimes it can takes at least 30 eggs, whilst others can take 1000+, it's all based on luck as most people will agree on this thread.

Just remember to have a lot of patience, once you hit that 1000+ mark, you'll need to rely on that more often than you would think, never let the game beat you, stick with it! ;)

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Okay got a JPN Swirlix and Inkay off of the GTS for some good deals. While doing so I even got myself an Adamant Growlithe with Close Combat. Will be breeding some of those later.

Will post results later. I will start with Inkay.

Universal

Musician
    Years
  • This guy took 63 eggs. .Although it was the third egg I hatched today!! So far my shortest egg hatch attempt. Highest being Fennekin at 750+

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    So today I did 31 eggs for my Inkay. None yet

I hope my chances are better because I haven't seen a shiny yet. Hoping I get it tomorrow

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Hey guys, im after a bit of reassurance, I've hatched around 150 pinsir eggs so far. Parents are a Female pinsir from one of my own friend safari's on my uk purchased game it has a adamant nature and holding an everstone, the male is a traded 'FRE' tagged pokemon from GTS holding a destiny knot, its called Scarabrute which I think is Pinsir's name in French. I merely just wanted clarification that in this case the French Pokémon is classed as 'foreign' for the masuda method in the same respects as a Japanese Pokémon. Please let me know as id hate to think im wasting time!

Hey, I don't think this will work for the Masuda Method. If I'm accurate, I believe you need (indeed) one of the parents to be caught in your own game cartridge, and the other has to be from another country. Since you live in Europe (or have at least a UK cartridge) you will need another parent to be from i.e. a Japanese cartridge (with the JAP tag in the stats) I believe, because France doesn't count as "the other foreign parent" here, because France is (like UK) also in Europe. So you will need a JAP Pinsir or a JAP Ditto :) Just to be sure ;)

I'm currently breeding for a shiny Fennekin using the Masuda Method, and I have one Fennekin parent of my own cartridge, and the other Fennekin parent is JAP. I'm living in Europe, so I couldn't use a French/German parent etc. either. Hope I helped and good luck! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    Went back to playing poke'mon after a lot of years, my last was crystal version. Ran into a pokemon called Reuniclus and I immediately fell in love with the design. Now attempting to MM me a shiny one, using a JPN female solosis and my own ditto with everstone.

Currently around 130 eggs, hope it decides to show up soon...

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2020
    Finally got my first shiny last night after about 42 eggs. finally scored my shiny Growlithe (Arcanine is my favorite pokemon). I tried for axew first but stopped at 60. I don't think I'll ever do 1000+ in one sitting though.

Back