• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has GO encouraged you to go outside more?

Years
  • It absolutely did!
    I've been thinking about getting more active and fit for a long time, but didn't have enough motivation to actually DO something.
    Just going out and running just seems so mundane and boring to me... but with pokemon GO I find myself on edge to go out whenever someone takes over a Gym I had the upper hand of.
    We'll see how long this will last - but its a good change for now!

Years
  • I think it has for a lot of people, but I wonder the longevity of peoples excitement. I'm hoping they'll keep updating the game with new generations and such.

For me, I wouldn't say it has made me go outside more, as I already venture out often. But it's certainly made me stare at my phone more at work. Haha. I have A LOT of Pokestops around my work.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • For sure.

In fact, I've learned more about my community in the few days playing Pokemon GO than I have in the 20 years I've lived here.

It's also kind of creepy how this game knows so much about my town...? But whatevs.

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
    Years
  • Totally, it's my new fitness plan haha.
    How did you get so physically fit? I've caught a lot of pok?mon...
    These eggs are going to be the death of me though. I have 45km worth of eggs in my inventory and haven't even finished one of them.

Jiggling Jigglypuff

I'll Sing Ya To Sleep
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I already go outside a lot so Pokemon Go really hasn't encouraged me more. I like it that I have a new challenge to find Pokemon when I do go outside though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Not really out more often, because I usually ride my bike everywhere, but the hours have increased. I have noticed a 5 mile ride to the store is now, for some unknown reason, coming in at 7-10 miles and taking 4 times as long.

Years
  • Oh man yeah. I've walked around 2 miles today if not more which is a lot more than usual and it's really exciting to be outside. I loooove GO even though all these freezes and crashes. Hopefully I'll keep at it, like Fabio said it could very well wear off but it's Pok?mon and I tend to get overly obsessed. =p

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    Oh, definitely! It's done wonders for my friends, too. I've heard of people forming groups to go out walking/playing. Currently I'm a little sick, so I'm eagerly waiting to go out and catch this goddamn Clefairy, haha. Can't wait to see how active I will be once I go to the City (San Francisco)!

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2021
    I am a runner so I came outside quite often already! However, I walked my usual 10km round today (that I used to run with Nike+ Running) and it didn't hatch my 10km egg...

When I am running I have to stop in order to catch so that's quite a hassle hahah.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I hate going outside. The sun burns you, bugs attack you, and I trip a lot.

That being said, yes, I've been walking almost every day. Today it almost didn't happen because I got all hyped to hatch my 10km egg, got all ready, took one step out the door and walking right into a spider web but I still went.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    Yes, but more so now I see my surroundings in a whole new way. I see pokestops instead of churches and fountains!

Years
  • I go to the gym about five times a week and do my cardio there but decided today I'd go for a walk after my lift. Walked around my neighborhood for about 20 minutes to hit all the pokestops around and caught a few new pokemon. Was pretty cool but I was alone so it got boring after a while. If I had a friend or two with me I think I would enjoy it a little more.

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    Yes, not to go out and walk around the neighborhood but to watch the idiots driving and trying to catch Pokemon almost causing an accident in the process.

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
    Years
  • Yes, not to go out and walk around the neighborhood but to watch the idiots driving and trying to catch Pokemon almost causing an accident in the process.

I put a lure down at a bank and I'm not even kidding you, about five cars pulled into the parking lot with BOTH drivers and passengers with their phones out while in motion. In our state it isn't just texting that's illegal, it's any cell phone use that isn't hands-free. Park first then take out your phone my god.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • I met an individual that bought a 1 day park hopper (174.99) over at DisneyWorld just to play PokemonGo.

The commitment is real out here.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
    Years
  • I had surgery on my foot last month, so my mobility has been pretty limited. But ever since I installed the game, I've been motivated to go out and exercise. Of course, I end up with pain by the end of the day.

I can't wait to head in to the city so I can find more stops and players though.

Years
  • Definitely. I find myself taking more walks and discovering new places near me I never even knew existed haha.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    A bit. I went for a walk into town that I otherwise wouldn't have today.

Before today I had an old data plan so I couldn't use online without it costing a lot (so I didn't really feel the need to go anywhere)....but now I have 7.5gb to mess around with for 30 days so it should be fine.

Back