• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hatsune Miku to Make US Concert Debut at Anime Expo 2011

Years

May 12th 2011
    JAPAN'S VIRTUAL POP STAR HATSUNE MIKU TO MAKE U.S. CONCERT
    DEBUT AT ANIME EXPO 2011
    The Concert Will Feature The World's First
    Digital Diva Performing In 3D

LOS ANGELES (May 12, 2011) -- Hatsune Miku, a Japanese virtual pop idol whose computer-generated singing and holographic performances have sparked a new form of musical entertainment, will thrill U.S. audiences for the first time when she performs live in concert at Anime Expo, North America's largest anime and manga celebration in Los Angeles from July 1 - 4, 2011. In addition to her live concert, Hatsune Miku will be Anime Expo's first Virtual Guest of Honor.

A digital diva famous worldwide for her ankle-length aqua-colored pigtails and distinctive voice, Hatsune Miku will light up the stage at Nokia Theater on July 2 nd in her U.S. live concert debut presented by The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, Crypton Future Media, Inc., SEGA Corporation, Tokyo Kawaii Magazine (ASCII Media Works) and Toyota Motor Sales, USA.

Created by Crypton Future Media, Inc. in 2007, Hatsune Miku's voice is synthesized using YAMAHA's VOCALOID (= Vocal + Android) software application, to produce a fully synthetic voice with unprecedented quality and remarkable realism by typing in lyrics and setting a melody. To date, her voice has been featured in more than 100,000 songs and videos created and shared by fans worldwide. She has been sampled in CDs, DVDs, games, novels, and figures and her sell-out, computer-graphic-driven live performances have become legendary. Attesting to her unique star power, Toyota selected Hatsune Miku to star in a U.S. ad campaign for the 2011 Corolla – which has been named the Official Car of her July 2 concert at Anime Expo.

"Fans in North America have been clamoring for Miku to perform here and we have listened," said Marc Perez, Chairman and CEO of the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, the non-profit that produces Anime Expo. "We're extremely excited to be able to present this 21st Century star at Anime Expo in what promises to be an unforgettable experience for all."

The Anime Expo concert will be based on "39's Giving Day," the first-ever solo concert by Hatsune Miku held in Japan on March 9, 2010, which was heralded by media worldwide. Visuals for the July 2 concert are created by SEGA with Crypton Future Media supervising overall production.

Hatsune Miku will be Anime Expo's first Virtual Guest of Honor and will join the line-up of Anime Expo 2011 Guests of Honor that includes the chart-topping Japanese pop trio Kalafina, Japanese TV Host and blogger Danny Choo and voice actor Vic Mignogna. Themed the "Year of the Fan," Anime Expo 2011 will fully immerse guests into the world of Japanese animation, manga (comic books), music, fashion and games. Anime Expo is a non-stop marathon of Japanese pop culture that's been likened to Halloween in July.

CRAP THAT MIKU TOYOTA COMMERCIAL MAKES BIG FOOKIN SENSE NOW!

I'M SERIOUSLY GOING TO GO TO ANIME EXPO NOW RIGHT HERE IN LA!!!!!!!!! <3

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    July... that might just work... MUST GO!

I have yet to ask my parents, so I may not be able to go at all... but I don't have anyone to go with, so if a few people from PC are going to go, does anyone want to meet up and go together? I've never even been to a convention, so I could use the help. haha

My parents are okay with it.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've already been planning to go, but this just puts the icing on the cake. I'm super excited. (:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Miku visiting LA sounds pretty exciting! I'll definitely go for it since LA is like.. 2 hours from here. It would totally be worth the drive. :D

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    Like this. Yeah, I wouldn't pay to go and see that.

Me too. Listening to her songs every day is just about enough.
    (I have more than 1/2 of her songs)

By the way, does ANYONE realize that it should be Miku Hatsune
    instead of "Hatsune Miku"? Apparently, by using the Western style of name positioning, the first name should go first, and then surname should go last.

"Miku" is the first name, and "Hatsune" is the surname.
    Therefore, her name is Miku Hatsune.
    The same rule applies to every character in Project Diva.

"Megurine Luka" should be Luka Megurine;
    "Sakine Meiko" should be Meiko Sakine;
    "Kagamine Rin and Kagamine Len" should be Rin Kagamine and Len Kagamine respectively.

Lastly, by using this name positioning rule, it is incorrect to call Barack Obama "Obama". Instead, we should call him President Obama, President Barack Obama or just simpily Barack (But that would be rude, as he is a person of high position).

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Good (original) songs is the keyword there XD

I'm....not seeing them doing the hologram concert tbh. Way too much money for that...unless that's the same area that the one hologram Gorillaz concert was held at

Years
    Just curious. If there was some way a person could perform (or program? idek) this live then that would be something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

And with names you can use whichever style you want as long as the people you're talking to understand so it's not really a big deal in this case because who but fans are even going to know anything about this.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    No you don't. There are over a hundred thousand.

I'm trying to say, I have more than 1/2 of her songs in Project Diva 1 and 2.
    I'm only interested in her PSP games, and I have no interest in paying for the concert at all. Besides, if I really wanted to watch a concert, I can watch it on Youtube instead.

Just curious. If there was some way a person could perform (or program? idek) this live then that would be something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

And with names you can use whichever style you want as long as the people you're talking to understand so it's not really a big deal in this case because who but fans are even going to know anything about this.

OK, in case you haven't realized, both her voice and the music are made by computer.

By the way, "Hatsune Miku" is Japanese. The language we're now communicating in is English. Therefore, by using the Western "first name first then surname" (Or simpily just name positioning) rule, it is Miku Hatsune.

Not to mention that 1/2 of her fans are Japanese. Therefore, many people call her "Hatsune Miku". But since we're communicating in English, we should call her Miku Hatsune.

It is also improper to call people by their surnames, (If you add Mr., Ms. or Mrs. in front of the surname, then it is acceptable) which is, a common mistake that Hong Kong Miku fans make. They always call her "Hatsune", which in both Japanese and Chinese, "初音". That's incorrect.

Ironically, this mistake is not present among Miku fans from Western countries. (Since they call her "Miku" instead, which in Chinese, "未來" [Which means future])

One thing that I'm not sure is whether "Hatsune" is a real Japanese surname or not.

Last edited:

shu

so alone so lost inside
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2017
    i wanna go but i live to far away and have no money.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    I don't think I'll be going to watch Miku, but I'll definitely be at the con. Its gonna be sooo fun, not to mention my first con ever.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I'm trying to say, I have more than 1/2 of her songs in Project Diva 1 and 2.
    I'm only interested in her PSP games, and I have no interest in paying for the concert at all. Besides, if I really wanted to watch a concert, I can watch it on Youtube instead.

Not a lot, especially considering a nice chunk of the songs were cut short in the game. then again, there's a lot of ......not-so-good songs out there....

Since they're advertising Hatsune Miku, it's going to be Hatsune Miku with Miku doing vocals. The question is the means in which they're "performing" the concert. As I've stated before, I doubt the hologram show is gonna happen due to expenses. I do vaguely recall that there was another Miku concert without holograms, but I'm not totally sure about that or how it was done. (Though I'd totally be over there in a flash if it wasn't a Miku show, but a Nico Nico Utatte show X3)

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    @Sarcastic Prince
    I think you're overthinking this. Hatsune Miku, Miku Hatsune - it doesn't really matter. I am fairly certain most of us know she originated from Japan, and like Scarf said, so as long as we get what you're talking about, it doesn't matter. Miku Hatsune would be correct if we were talking in western terms, but seriously, we aren't ignorant as to wonder why she's mostly called with surname in front. If she happened to be a real person, then maybe it would be more of an issue, but she's not, so it's really up to the fans in the end.

I wish I could go there, though. I live all the way in the east coast so it's not feasible.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Think you got it bad? I'm in New Zealand. I haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of making it to AE to see this, and it would mean absolutely everything to me to be able to go and see Miku's first concert in the West. ;;

She might make it to New Zealand eventually, but it just won't be the same as seeing her in LA. D:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I want to go but sadly I can't. ;;

But, I'd love to see a video of her concert to see how they really do it. :3

Back