• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever noticed how some people at t his age think Pokemon is a "Kids thing?"

Houndoom666

I like mah teem rite nowz. ^.^
    Years
    Oh my god! People make fun of me and a few freinds cuz they think Pokemon is a little 6 year old thing.Ive seen lots of people do this the people. Now I shall ask them questions like:

1)How is a 6 year old to know how to use a certain Nature?
    2)How is a kid gonna calculate EV's?

But then I say the series has actually matured a lot more from the start and there is no way a 6 year old can complete a pokedex by themselves. And they keep sayin teh same thing over and over, "That is for little kids"

Does this happen to you too? And it makes my frickin angry.

Souless

What?
    Years
    • Age 32
    • ???
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    yeah, I understand you men...

here in mexico, if you like pokemon you are considered as an infantile retard

I'm a person who can reply to most of offenses, if someone comes to bother me and gets pwned by me he just says "whathever, at least I'm not a baby who likes pokemon" it drives me crazy X_X

I haven't stopped liking pokemon only cuz none of my friends do, I will like it if I want to

Tsugaru

Twilight
    Years
    Yup, this has happended to me, my friends(that know that I like it) first look at me with a funny look(this is when I tell other people) and then they say that it's ok to like it, So I'm just happy with that. Even though people still mock me about it. I don't care what others think, my choice.

Houndoom666

I like mah teem rite nowz. ^.^
    Years
    Yeah. I mean this fat chick is anoying. Shes like "uh pokemon! Why dont you like trigun or Samarai Champloo" And im like "Cuz it dont interest me, ive been into pekmon since I was 4, I think ill like it untill im at least 20." But it jsut bothers me the way she says it. I mean she is very ignorant about the whole series. She has to know about it before she can judge it. Well I dont care cuz its my desision and SHES FAT AND IM NOT!! So I dont care. Im gonna get "DOOM the level 47 Houndoom" after these people!

-Jinx-

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    Take comfort in knowing that all of the kids that make fun of you are worthless sheep and still have a box of Pokemon cards under their beds.
    One thing I learned in high school is to not care what people think about you. It makes things a lot easier.​

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    It's only because of the Anime that influences Pokemon to look dorky and childish >_>

Shiraishi

Orz
    Years
    Ok, I play this game called Maplestory. I see pokemon posts on the maple fansites and loads of flamin on em. I usually say:"Wtf? You're playing a game in which you're killing slimes and mushrooms with smiley faces. You aren't in a postion to judge pokemon". Always works. To ppl who don't play it, I say: "It's a strategy RPG, wtf is so childish about a strategy RPG?"

Terry M

Weepinbell: Don't hurt me!!!!!
    Years
    I'm a kid and my friend hates pokemon.All what he says is ''it's for babies''.But I ignore him because he's the baby (belive me he's very selfish and spoilt and sometimes whines)but I'm still his friend even though he can be an idiot.I'm just glad I have atleast one or two friend(s) who like it.I'm very opptimistic*points to sig*so I don't care if anyone makes fun of me judt cause I like pokemon.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    People that claim pokemon is for children have probably never played it a day in their lives. They see the cute pokemon that are always featured on the cover or in the show and decide that it's for kids. They're wrong, but I don't necessarily blame them, since it's pretty much the message that Nintendo is sending. What I do blame such people for is for insulting something they have no understanding of. They should keep their thoughts to themselves.

As for EV's and IV's: if more people knew about them, pokemon would be escalated from "childish" to "geeky". Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it's the simple truth. Look at WoW or any other mmorpg.

Shinbo

Furry Trainer.
    Years
    yeah, I understand you men...

here in mexico, if you like pokemon you are considered as an infantile retard

Well...that's kind of true..all my friends on high school know that i'm a really pokemon fan, and they think it's ok too..lol, but yeah, it's the most common thing for a poke' fan to happen in mexico, i, too have been flamed but i really don't care much, i just tell them to get a life. x3

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    Ok, I play this game called Maplestory. I see pokemon posts on the maple fansites and loads of flamin on em. I usually say:"Wtf? You're playing a game in which you're killing slimes and mushrooms with smiley faces. You aren't in a postion to judge pokemon". Always works. To ppl who don't play it, I say: "It's a strategy RPG, wtf is so childish about a strategy RPG?"

they think its childish cauz u have to THINK and if u live were i live NO ONE wants to think, so playing games were u would have to think is out of the picture, they enjoy playing games like Guitar Hero were u just press a button at the right time, when u first play it it can be sorta fun, but when u think about it u realize its just plain boring and if u come to my school and say u play games like Final Fantasy, Pokemon, or World Of Warcart, Fire Emblem, etc u are instantly called a nerd, if u don't play X-box 360 games ur called a nerd, the opnly game SORTA acceptable that's outside of X-Box360 is Super Smash Bros... thats why in my school i have to pretend that I don't like this stuff to avoid being beat upon by my entire school.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
    Wow. Some of you people have it pretty bad. But if I recall, the age label for the original games were 10 and up, so how could it be a six-year old childish thing? But who really pays any attention to those ESRB ratings anyways?

I think it's the anime that making Pokémon seem like a child's thing, as some of you have already pointed out. Flamers are just ignorant of the other aspects of Pokémon, and hone in on one thing, which makes for narrow-based arguments on their side. If we apply their flaming techniques, then virtually anything can be flamed in this manner.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Wow. Some of you people have it pretty bad. But if I recall, the age label for the original games were 10 and up, so how could it be a six-year old childish thing? But who really pays any attention to those ESRB ratings anyways?

The Pokemon games have always been 3+ in the UK

I don't think Pokemon is a "kids thing". I think anyone can play it and enjoy it whatever their age, like Harry Potter. At first people said it was a book just for kids but loads of adults read it too. Same with Pokemon. Anyone can like it.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Seeing as the anime came out here before the game or the TCG, the anime (as some of you have mentioned) was the main factor in it. I'm not saying the anime was the main reason, but Pokemon did practically died out here for a number of years due to people saying it was way too childish just because we were watching it on TV. That's practically happening with a lot of things. Stereotypes are easily given just because you do a particular thing...

Stuff like: "Oh, if you play -insert thing here-, then you're a geek/nerd/whatever new thing they come up with."
    There's a couple of students at my school that play it and are ridiculed by everyone else for "acting like little kids" and "obessed with Pokemon". Seriously, weren't they all at one point?

Yeah, and I think I'll just um, stop now. xD

Years
    I'm 20, and I still play Pokemon! Seriously, when you get out of high school and all that, (for the most part) no one says anything like that anymore. Besides, you can meet people who embrace the geekiness, and encourage it. For example, my boyfriend (who is 23) preordered us both diamond and pearl, and every geeky thing he finds out about me makes me more attractive. In the end, its all relative. How "childish" or "geeky" something is based on who you decide to spend your time with. Something that's a much easier thing to decide once you get out of high school.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    If it makes you feel any better, people I know think Disgaea is childish becase it looks like a cute innocent game. Those people are the ones that never even play the game themselves. So they have no real basis for their argument.

If Pokemon can addict someone like me, then I don't know of anyone it CAN'T addict.

Years
    I've got a friend who says Pokemon is immature and silly.

Then, when I turn on Cartoon Network to watch the show, I catch him peeking around the corner to watch...

I think Pokemon is great for all ages. If some people want to ignore it, it's their loss.

Back